July CMP Videos

TowDawg

Here's the Saturday Lightning race.

I was having a great run up until Will lost his brakes going into 1 and nailed me.

Here's the race:

I forgot to edit out the full course caution, so skip from about 7 min to 19 min.

Here's the crash with slow-mo at the end:

Ihor Bilyy

HPDE2 run, green quiet box. I think best time in this run was just below 2 minutes

Veterans, please comment on racing line. First time on track and without instructor

Saturday's

with a ringside seat to the carnage that happened to Scott (as mentioned in the first post). The many full caution laps were edited out. I got a horrible restart & got jumped by Darrel in #61.

My GoPro malfunctioned for Sunday's Lightning Race so didn't get any forwards facing video.

phat ralph

A true challenge for me! 22 laps on Sunday, I got my monies worth! Though I could never find the bite that I needed..... Loose in and out of the turns. Lots of fun though racing with the Thunder group.

Saturday Thunder Race:

Sunday Thunder Race:

HPDE2 run, green quiet box. I think best time in this run was just below 2 minutes

Veterans, please comment on racing line. First time on track and without instructor

take this for what it's worth … since I'm one of the slowest cars in TT … but the only thing I might really change is the entry to the kink … looks to me to be a bit early, causing you to take a bit too much of the bump, which seems to really upset the car … plus you're leaving LOTS of room track out (which means you're not carrying as much speed through there as you could …

and with the times I was getting with a stopwatch while watching the video, you're doing better than I do in T3 (I'm so chicken s**t there that it's costing me as much as a sec

Sonny and I were about to have a nice battle after he caught me, but I'll have to have a little talk with Will about what to do in those situations in the future.

When there's a car in between teammates, his job is to take the OTHER GUY out, NOT take ME out!!!

Sonny and I were about to have a nice battle after he caught me, but I'll have to have a little talk with Will about what to do in those situations in the future.

When there's a car in between teammates, his job is to take the OTHER GUY out, NOT take ME out!!!

I think Will made the right call & I'm truly thankful for it!!!
supraman95

DOH!!! You were getting it done up until that happened. GOOD job!.. Same thing happened to me going into 10A in June..... I almost cannonballed a slew of SpecE30's..... Somehow I missed the car in the APEX of 10A... It is a bad feeling not having brakes going into 10A at that speed!

Ihor Bilyy

take this for what it's worth … since I'm one of the slowest cars in TT … but the only thing I might really change is the entry to the kink … looks to me to be a bit early, causing you to take a bit too much of the bump, which seems to really upset the car … plus you're leaving LOTS of room track out (which means you're not carrying as much speed through there as you could …

We had 2 problems: stock street tires already seen 2 track weekends (AMP and Road Atlanta) and front pads were less than 50% before CMP and on National backorder. I tried to find pads right after Road Atl and they were delivered only yesterday. So my son was extremely cautious with brakes and tires.

I ran two clips side by side and you can clearly see how much gain you get in turns and Fiesta's top speed is better, allowing to close the gap.

I am not expert also but looks like you could shorten your lift and brake times. This would make you go deeper in a turn and faster on a gas. I would accelerate earlier in most turns.

… but the only thing I might really change is the entry to the kink … looks to me to be a bit early, causing you to take a bit too much of the bump, which seems to really upset the car

I was always scared to get too far up on that "bump" and always just clipped the outside of it.....until this past event in May. Overheard a friend talking about it smoothing back out the closer to the apex you get. I tried it and picked up at least 10mph. If you place your pass front tire almost in that little dirt rectangle it is unbelievably smooth. Now, my car does have a fairly wide track width so this may not apply to all cars but I'd bet a $ to a donut that it would... Give it a try.

If you place your pass front tire almost in that little dirt rectangle it is unbelievably smooth. Now, my car does have a fairly wide track width so this may not apply to all cars but I'd bet a $ to a donut that it would... Give it a try.

Chris, I'm not sure where you mean. Do you mean almost over to the marker post?

I'll try anything but it looks like you'd have to turn in a bit early to be that far over. In my limited experience the key for me has been turning in later. My instinct is always to turn in too early and when I carry speed through there and turn in early I end up on the grass on the left side of the track and with brown underwear.

Do you have video?

Here's mine :

First time at CMP, first time with NASA, and I had a lot of fun. Can't wait to until my next event! Hopefully as I progress through events I'll be getting faster and won't have to be giving so many point-byes in DE3, though only having ~100rwhp doesn't help in some sections.

Here's one of my sessions from Sunday:

Comments welcome, I do know I could of done a lot of things better and I might of in other sessions. I was concentrating on traffic management and my line wasn't really near the limit..... I also had to drive the car home too I was WOT nearly the whole track, I take that as an indication that I'm over-slowing for most turns.

Do you have video?

Yes Sir. I may not have skill but ....video, I have plenty of. That was a nice save. You did exactly what you should have.

Su9J6IpbATo

It WILL take you all the way to the edge on track-out but as long as you keep half a tire on, you're good...right? I tried to pinch the exit a bit too much here:

Rg9L5KQtvKs

and this video shows two completely different lines, that both work:

G7upDwy7hk0

It could be totally off for another car/driver and I wouldn't recommend hitting it flat the first time but it can't hurt to see how it feels.

Good to see you and your car at the track again, btw!!

Most of Saturday's Lightning race minus the full course caution with a footwork angle added.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That's a fabulous phucking video! I have no idea who won, or how you did during the race, I was focused on your footwork, and the data, and didn't look out the window and it was great.

Trying to tell other people/students how to heel/toe without them seeing it is like trying to describe a Kiss Concert without having seen one. Your video does that in spades. It should be on a sticky at the top of the forum.

I loved the left foot braking, too. That's a concept many don't understand.

Again, thanks for a great video.

Glad I could help. I plan on doing the same for the next SE race at RA.

I try to explain the benefits of left foot braking to those in my race class so hopefully this will help as well. Most corners that you dont downshift are ones where you aren't threshold braking, which means you are just scrubbing enough speed to make it through. Often times in these situations the car is somewhat unbalanced (Turn 5 at RA). Left foot braking allows a much smoother transition between throttle and brake which allows you to manage the balance of the car much better. At a minimum, there is no period of no pedal input where you aren't on the brake or gas because of the time taken to transition the right foot. Lucky for me, I have a karting background which is where I developed my left foot braking pedal feel.

Ive thought about playing around with left foot braking into corners that do require a downshift, but I have to get through Nationals before I change my driving habits again.

Most of Saturday's Lightning race minus the full course caution with a footwork angle added.

I enjoyed the foot cam as well. LFB definitely helps a car turn. Do you have a brake booster on that car? I have experimented with it but the pedal is too variable for me depending on where the throttle is. I can never seem to get the brake pressure right because the brake boost is always changing.

I LFB when I cart like you did b/c the wire makes it easy.

I enjoyed the foot cam as well. LFB definitely helps a car turn. Do you have a brake booster on that car? I have experimented with it but the pedal is too variable for me depending on where the throttle is. I can never seem to get the brake pressure right because the brake boost is always changing.

I LFB when I cart like you did b/c the wire makes it easy.

Brakes are stock with booster and race pads. It was a bit awkward the first week end or so, but I just committed to doing it because I felt like it would make me a better overall driver. Mainly I started in the easy corners that don't require as much pedal pressure, so I could build that feel, but after a few week ends, it almost took over where I had to train my brain on which corners are LFB corners. A few times, especially at new tracks, I catch myself in the middle of threshold braking with my left foot realizing that I have to downshift which then makes me do an awkward foot transition so I can actuate the clutch.

I drove one of the other cars in my class at CMP, and his brake pedal travel is much longer to get to firm. I realized that as a personal preference, I like as little brake pedal travel as possible and this may be the difference in the perceived changing boost. Maybe a shorter pedal travel adjustment, if possible, would aid in left foot braking?