HPDE

kurtkrum

kurtkrum

I was at CMP this past weekend and I've really got the itch to start racing.

I'm currently doing HPDE with PCA and want to start running with NASA as well, eventually working towards my racing license.

Question: If I run Blue group with PCA, in what HPDE group should I register if I wanted to do an upcoming event?

Very excited to start running with you folks

To answer your Q properly, we'd need to know what "Blue Grp" in PCA means: Mandated to have an Instructor? (DE1) Solo with point-by's only at certain straights? (DE2) Solo with point-by's anywhere (including corners)? (DE3) Solo with open passing anywhere? (DE4)

Also, what's your track bio? Which tracks & how many track days, etc.?

When you register for an event, ask Julie Pantas (registrar) your question & she'll likely ask the above & figure out where you belong.

Hope to see you soon at one of our events!

Next question is going to be what kind of car do you have and are you going to build your current car into a racer? I'm assuming that you have a Porsche since you started out in PCA. Are you looking for a car that can fit into both sanctioning bodies classes easily without modification?

HPDE 1 is probably a safe bet. While I have soloed quite a bit, NASA runs on tracks that I have not experienced and I would probably need some help learning the lines, etc.

With respect to the car, I have a Porsche GT3 right now - but for the purposes of racing I am going to go with an M3. They are easier and less expensive to repair than a 911.

Must find an M3 now LOL...

Thanks for the help!

LostSouth

PCA Blue is equivalent to NASA HPDE 2. That being said, a blue driver typically doesn't have experience at many tracks. So if you have not run the track before, I would recommend that you run HPDE 1 and get the benefit of the instructor.

it's my understanding that you can request an instructor in DE2 … ???

Yes. You can request one in DE2 but there is no guarantee that one will be assigned to you. While every effort is made to accommodate requests for an instructor in DE2, Instructors are dedicated for DE1.

• Members
it's my understanding that you can request an instructor in DE2 … ???

Also, HPDE 2 is a much faster group since many of the drivers have experience. So, anyone who is new to a track may get frustrated by having to issue point by's on a regular basis. We can usually move folks up if they show the instructor they are comfortable with the track. But a driver is rarely happy when we move them down a level

JohnJoe1011

I run HPDE 3 with Texas NASA Region I can run solo but when I am in a new track I always request an instructor that knows the track at least for the first session. I also run Blue Solo with LSRPCA and have had instructors before. I never turn down when an instructor wants to ride with me I always picked a tip here and there.

Good luck,

As a blue driver I think you'll be fine in 2, and if you've got lots and lots of track days maybe even 3. I went from blue to 3 after about 2 years of PCA DE's back in 08, then TT in 09 and racing by 11. But I'z poor so I took my time .