How would I attach the front?

Want2race

This is the cage I am trying to replicate for Super unlimited/kit car challenge.

http://www.want2race.net/lotus7/p0000568.jpg

I cannot work out how I could acceptably attach the front lower hoop to the car. At that point in the car there is nothing to attach it to.

Can anyone help explain or hopefully provide pictures as to how I could attach this piece?

Many thanks

~Jonathan

does the car have a frame (tube or otherwise), or is it a unibody/tub car? Somehow, you are going to either have to weld/bold standoffs to the side of the chassis, or curve the bottom of the tubing inward so that it attaches to the side of the frame.

does the car have a frame (tube or otherwise), or is it a unibody/tub car? Somehow, you are going to either have to weld/bold standoffs to the side of the chassis, or curve the bottom of the tubing inward so that it attaches to the side of the frame.

its a tube frame car.

I really liked the idea of a bolt that attached but I dont know if it would be legal.

http://www.want2race.net/lotus7/caterham.jpg

The turn inwards idea does not appeal to me at all. I dont like the way it needs 6" away from the car.

Do you think that bolt type mounting would be legal ?

I dont' think I would go for the single bolt mount. I think you could have a bolt-joint, but it would need to be of some size and thickness, and have at least 4 bolts. Possibly weld a 90 deg turn-out on the sides (instead of a bend).

If you want it removable, you can use 2" tubing to make slip joints, although many clubs are getting away from bolt in cages.

Is this car already built, or is this a future project?

cage.jpg

**note: unlike the photo you listed, in this shot, the overlap of the tubing is doing most of the work. The bolt is only holding it together.

Here is a link to some pictures of how the cage in your picture

was attached to a Caterham.

http://www.teambirkinsport.com/gallery/album27

I checked out your site and your car looks like it will be fantastic.

Where are you located?

Thanks

I'm In GA

Thats the most useful site I have seen yet. My only problem is I want to run a full aerodynamics package and that large bar under the car adds substancial weight (15-30lbs) and a huge drag coefiicient.

Maybe I can cut something like that into the chassis?