Sign in to follow this  
Kerry Chadderton

Suspension travel problems - Need help

Kerry Chadderton

Hello All,

I'm currently building up an early 944 to SPEC class rules. Upon advice here and 944SPEC I purchased the Paragon SPEC-1 suspension kit. I've installed this kit flawlessly, adding the Moohkem (sp) camber plates. I'm following what I've been reading here and I don't know how the hell you guys are lowering your cars so low. I'm touching the Koni bump stops and am still at 6 3/4" at the rockers. 5+" at the front suspension cross member.

What have I done wrong?!

Please point me in the wrong direction. I've only got 30 more days before a non-refundable driving school.

Sterling Doc

Mookeh camber plates mount low, and do limit shock trave a bit. The top mount Ground Control, or Racer's Edge plates will give you about another inch. It is typical to cut out about 2/3rds of the bump stop for our purposes. Cut off the tapered end. Keep in mind wheel travel is not the same as shock travel d/t the motion ratio. I would not try to go lower than around 5" at the rockers in your setup, maybe a bit more.

Sterling Doc

Mookeh camber plates mount low, and do limit shock trave a bit. The top mount Ground Control, or Racer's Edge plates will give you about another inch. It is typical to cut out about 2/3rds of the bump stop for our purposes. Cut off the tapered end. Keep in mind wheel travel is not the same as shock travel d/t the motion ratio. I would not try to go lower than around 5" at the rockers in your setup, maybe a bit more.

Kerry Chadderton

Eric I really appreciate the reply. It's my first time doing front coilovers on a 944 so I have no point of reference. I've followed the Paragon instructions to a "T", so you can understand my panic. The Koni bumpstops are actually touching the top of the strut housing. It is not compressed at all. In fact I used the bumpstop as a stopping point when adjusting the springs because the car was still pretty damn high in my opinion. 6 3/4" at the rocker panels.

I understand your point of the motion ratio and agree. Let's assume I have done everything right and I cut the bumpstops as suggested. From your experience, and others here who are running the exact same setup, I can run with this little bit of visible shock travel? How much "shiny" shock rod should I see? I know....it's hard to say. But just guess. Give me a rough idea of what you would run with. I have 350lb springs.

The Racers Edge top hats are fairly tall. Combined with the Mookeh plates a lot of space is taken up. I will probably go with another camber plate setup eventually, but I'd like to save that money for this August driving school.

Hopefully I'll meet you at a track someday, somewhere once I get my license. Thanks in advance. -Kerry

Sterling Doc

Kerry - I took this to the 944 Spec pages - more responses there.