BAS-43

HPDE Classroom Instruction

n80

I probably should have gotten signed up but no way I can get that pulled together at this point. But RA is definitely on my to-do list.

MikeAtl

Not to pile on but if your plan for whenever you can make it is to register in DE2 and request an instructor, be aware that instructors are not guaranteed for DE2. I had that same plan this past May for my first visit to CMP and never received an instructor. Now, in all fairness to NASA, I did receive an advance email stating that they could not guarantee an instructor for DE2 as DE1 is their first priority, and I understand and support that.

For CMP, I would up watching a bunch of video (Sonny's school line was at the top of the list) in advance of the weekend and then gridding in the back and following for the first two sessions before I felt comfortable. Not so sure I would have felt so comfortable doing that for my first visit to RA.

Moral: for a first time, try to register for a more lightly attended event. i know you can't make this August, but the August NASA event seems to me at least to be lightly attended. Brendan's advice for Friday is also a good plan. Wish I could add Friday this time...

Mike

n80

That's what I did when I drove Roebling for the first time and I was fortunate enough to get an instructor for the first few sessions....and it helped.

Balroks
Not to pile on but if your plan for whenever you can make it is to register in DE2 and request an instructor, be aware that instructors are not guaranteed for DE2. I had that same plan this past May for my first visit to CMP and never received an instructor. Now, in all fairness to NASA, I did receive an advance email stating that they could not guarantee an instructor for DE2 as DE1 is their first priority, and I understand and support that.

For CMP, I would up watching a bunch of video (Sonny's school line was at the top of the list) in advance of the weekend and then gridding in the back and following for the first two sessions before I felt comfortable. Not so sure I would have felt so comfortable doing that for my first visit to RA.

Moral: for a first time, try to register for a more lightly attended event. i know you can't make this August, but the August NASA event seems to me at least to be lightly attended. Brendan's advice for Friday is also a good plan. Wish I could add Friday this time...

Mike

It likely won't be so light in Aug with Nat's being here this year. Tis why we had so many other regions show up at the Jam as well.

retlaw

my first visit to RA was with a different sanctioning body.

my instructor didn't show for the first session (only 2 sessions… Sun during the "quite" time) … sorta learned on my own, still couldn't find the turn in for the down hill esses

Randy Pobst's GF was there (a certified instructor) and he was going to be instructing her. her car crapped out on her, and I got her to ride with me

showed me the trick for the turn in for the downhill esses and the color code usage for going under the bridge … would have been a while before I figured those out for myself

BAS-43
my first visit to RA was with a different sanctioning body.

my instructor didn't show for the first session (only 2 sessions… Sun during the "quite" time) … sorta learned on my own, still couldn't find the turn in for the down hill esses.

I understand that stuff happens but that sucks! Don't feel bad though, I'm still trying to find the right turn in to the downhill esses that doesn't upset my live rear axle. Every time I think I have it, someone suggests another approach that I think I like better. As for the color coded markers going into turn 12, I put a link to a video clip of my front row seat to a poor mid-south driver at June Jam who had trouble finding turn 12 because no one told him about the bridge markers.

George, when you decide to run RA, you have the benefit of two things folks probably didn't 10 years ago: YouTube and iRacing. I joined iRacing before Barber in February and ran probably a couple hundred laps before going and was immensely happy with how good that simulation is for learning the track. I've driven their simulation of Road Atlanta and with a few very small exceptions, it really is spot on. I think you'd be surprised how much your confidence will grow on track after driving it on iRacing, getting out on the real thing, and realizing how prepared you are for what turn is next. Just a thought.

n80

Well, since this is your thread and you did open the door about video games I'll go ahead and ask: What input device do you use? iRacing is now supported on the Mac so I've thought about giving it a try but have no idea what device to get.

Love that video. And didn't the guy in the vette say that he didn't really intend to pit?

sonny
showed me the trick for the turn in for the downhill esses

Do tell! I tell people to put their left side tires on the flat gator @ turn-in to widen out the track there. You can see me doing it in my school line video at Road Atlanta.

I like the idea of showing different video clips from people & performing a forensic analysis. Will try to incorporate that in the upcoming event.

sonny
Sonny,

Do I get any royalties from your new video, since I'm the co-star that gets destroyed in turn 1? lol

Cameos don't count.

MikeAtl

Mike

It likely won't be so light in Aug with Nat's being here this year. Tis why we had so many other regions show up at the Jam as well.

Good point, did not think of that. Still looks lighter than June or December though.

Mike

retlaw

Do tell! I tell people to put their left side tires on the flat gator @ turn-in to widen out the track there. You can see me doing it in my school line video at Road Atlanta.

I like the idea of showing different video clips from people & performing a forensic analysis. Will try to incorporate that in the upcoming event.

basically, what she told me was to turn down the hill as I reached the end of the curbing on car left … after that to just work out my for myself what is best for me

sonny

basically, what she told me was to turn down the hill as I reached the end of the curbing on car left

Yep. That's what I tell/show drivers as well. But in addition, put your left side tires ON that curbing to your left to widen out the track to give you that much extra room for turn-in.

retlaw

that's something I'm going to remember for my next trip to RA … just like when you told us about widening the turn-in to T3 at CMP

thanks