S197- hard to start after racing

olaaf

Does anyone have trouble getting the engine started after a race session? While i have a small battery, i did put a new starter on, made a heatshield to protect it from the exhaust manifold, and ran a 3" duct to the starter.. still hard to start..

thanks

I'm still using everything that is stock and haven't had any problems starting it.All the other guy's in our region haven't had any problems either that I know of.

Are you limiting the cause to starter electrical?

Build up of hot air continues after you shut the car down and affects the entire engine bay including the PCM unless you provide a source of cooler air.

Do you pop the hood and ensure air flow around/through the engine after each session?

When we were running back-to-back DE/TT/races the car would get heat soaked unless we got good air flow between sessions.

Just another data point for consideration.

No, not limiting problems. I think it’s heat related. I do open the hood after running and that helps get the car started after 20 minutes or so, but this is a problem running endurance events. I wonder what continental/factory boss 302 teams do/have?

Could be the size or location of your main positive wire, or even the ground wire. If the wire is too small or if its too close to a heat source the extra heat creates resistance. Or could be another component of the wiring, such as a failing or loose connection, etc....

• 3 months later...

if anyone comes by in the future with the same problem- the hot lead in the battery terminal was loose, and it worked itself out over the course of 5 months causing all sorts of electrical mayhem with intermittent charging. Tightened it up, and after 20 hard laps the car re-started immediately and had no issue turning over the engine.