Combined Start?

mcmmotorsports

I heard that there will be a combined start (lined up by qualifying, not class) for the championship races. Is this true?

Gawd I hope not.

seems like that would be a group by group decision, did you try contacting the listed Race Director for your group yet to ask?

Why would they NOT do that? IIRC a few years ago a Mid O they lined up GTS by all the 5 cars first, then the 4s...etc. So you get some slow 5 cars ahead of faster 4 cars, etc. It wasn't good. The next year they gridded by times which makes much more sense IMO. The qualifying races got a point for each finishing position (1st place got 1, 2nd got 2, etc). Cumulative points for all the qualifying races- low total was on pole. Worked great from what I heard.

Why would they NOT do that? IIRC a few years ago a Mid O they lined up GTS by all the 5 cars first, then the 4s...etc. So you get some slow 5 cars ahead of faster 4 cars, etc. It wasn't good. The next year they gridded by times which makes much more sense IMO. The qualifying races got a point for each finishing position (1st place got 1, 2nd got 2, etc). Cumulative points for all the qualifying races- low total was on pole. Worked great from what I heard.

You are correct for GTS it works great. That's how we did it for the first 3 years at Mid-O. When it came back in 2011 they changed to doing it by class. It didn't work out so well. Went back to the old way in 2012 and all was good. Not sure how it works out for other groups, but for GTS by time irregardless of class works best !

-Scott B.

• Members

I think we should grid according the qualifying session rather then by class. it would award drivers to try harder to qualify better, what kind of challenge is it to qualify 1st when you have 4 cars in your group. none

race group directors please let us grid according to where we qualfy.

regards to all

firouz

st3

thunder roadster

team texas

As someone in a race group with MORE than 4 cars, I want to start by class.

WORD! 14 in my class. I don't want to drive across the country and then not race "fairly" with my competitors. On the pole or last....doesn't matter, I want to race someone on a level playing field. How can you get any sort of satisfaction from doing well if you have 5 other out of class cars behind you keeping your other competitors in class from racing you??

Since this is a national championship based on class, it seems to make sense to keep the class together at the start. Also more fun to watch, easier to keep track of the leaders and close racing.

The GTS guys are onto something. The problem with splitting by class is you have backmarkers from one class having great effect on front runners in the class behind and potentially ruining races and causing more incidents.....pretty much on the first lap unless you happen to be lucky enough to be at the front of a particular split start.

... which is why it could vary by group.... (Is this thing on?)

3 waves is about as many as you can do at RAtl I've heard from some dude that is in charge of alot of events there. Last name something about Pants? Anywho...

2 or 3 classes in a group - split starts for each class with enough of a gap between the waves to minimize the (for lack of better terms) "awesome guy in the slow car class vs sucky guy in the fast car class" factor. More than 3 classes, may make sense to at least *consider* (consider, not automatically do but at least think about it!) the GTS sorta approach of grid by speed and the chips fall where they fall.

I wasn't arguing with you...just posting an opinion....take a breath, the mic is on.

The split starts only work if the "pole" drivers of each split keep enough gap. Which is asking a lot of most "race" drivers these days...especially since jumped starts by P2 and back starters rarely get disciplined....

I wasn't arguing with you...just posting an opinion....take a breath, the mic is on.

The split starts only work if the "pole" drivers of each split keep enough gap. Which is asking a lot of most "race" drivers these days...especially since jumped starts by P2 and back starters rarely get disciplined....

Separate pace cars and no standing starts would work.

Last year at Miller, we did the PT qual races with the grid sorted by lap time, but switched (thankfully) to 'grid by class' for the championship race. For example, I missed qualifying for a qual race due to a mechanical issue. I didn't just have to start at the back of my class, I had to start at the back of ALL THE CLASSES. 20 positions back from pole in my class of 7 cars......bs

The one thing worse than having to work through a few slower out-of-class cars, is having to work through a few slower out-of-class cars, while your competitor started in front of said out-of-class cars. Conceivably you could be starting 2nd in class, a half second slower than pole, but have to race through 4+ out of class cars (higher hp, slower in corners, difficult to pass cars) who happened to have lap times that fell in between yours and the pole driver. Talk about not fair. I'll be very disappointed if we grid by lap time for any of the race sessions this year!