Racing budget considerations

Dirtbos

Hello too all,

My name is Mike Allen and I live in Southern California. This will be my first post.

I have driven circle track (asphalt and dirt) off and on for about 45 years. I am looking into road racing for a change of pace. I especially like the "clean pass, no impact" policy. I've straightened many a body panel over the years and am looking to reduce that chore to a minimum.

My wife and I are going to attend the West Coast Nationals in November to "take a look". Looking forward to it.

The one consideration in my decision to go this way is the cost of entry fees, pit passes etc. I took look at the entry fees for the Nationals, and it appears to run about $600.00 (with early entry) for the car entry plus pit passes. Does this apply to the ST classes? Also, do all of the race entry fees in a given year cost the same, or is this one priced based on a national event?

I am trying to calculate an "average cost per race" figure.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Short version:

Regional Race = $1,000 usually once a month

National Race = $2,000 usually once a year

This basically applies to all classes, ST, PT, GTS, HC, SM, Spec 944 etc.... Once you have the car your consumables are race entry fee, race car gas,oil, brake fluid, pads and rotors, grippy tires, travel fuel, hotel and food. Seems logical right? Depending on the track, the race entry varies from $300-$400 at regional events. Nationals always is $600-$700. In the southeast as long as you pit crew are NASA Members they get in free except Nationals. Tires could be Toyo RR that last many events or Hoosiers that last one maybe two weekends.

Their have been many of circle track racers convert to road racing and never look back, you will have a blast. Have fun at the West Coast National, look at every race group, what cars people choose per class, what you like driving, etc.... and pic a class. I fell in love the the Honda S2000 years ago so the decision for me was easy. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Rob. I appreciate your input.

This type of racing is a bit more expensive, but on first blush, appears to be well worth it. I have been interested in the FFR Challenge class for awhile. The new 818R, once there are few of them out there, may be the class for me to start with. It would be a bit less expensive to build one of them.

The main reason for attending the West Coast Nationals is to see the participation level in both of the related classes (the MK4 Challenge and ST-1 and ST-2 for the 818R).

Thank you very much again for your response.

Mike

The cost per weekend will vary on what car you choose. I have run Mustangs and Miatas and there was a big savings when I switched to a smaller, lighter car. Not only are the consumables cheaper, but I go through a lot less of them.

Be sure to ask around to what people spend on consumables in the class that interests you (tires, brake pads, gas, etc). Be sure to also note what end of the pack they run at. A top runner may be on sticker tires every weekend but a mid pack car may be on tires that are 5 weekends old. You can spend as much money as you want in road racing, just make sure you can get the most fun for what you are able to spend.

Thanks for the input Diller.

I took a look at the Miata at Buttonwillow a while back. There were a number of them out that day. Looks like a fun class. Probably fairly reasonable cost wise to put together. Another good choice for my first shot a road racing.

Consumables are certainly a consideration. Thank you for the advise.

Mike

Mike, I am one of those circle track converts Rob speaks of. I started racing in 1993, having driven everything from Bomber cars and Street Stocks up to Late Models and NASCAR Modifieds.

I made the switch to left and right turns back in 2006 and have NO regrets. I think when you look at it from an "annual" perspective, costs are going to be quite similar.

While the entry fees at $300-$400 per weekend seem like a lot when coming from a $25-$35 entry fee, having consumables last for multiple weekends kinda have everything balance out.

Each NASA weekend is like a mini-vacation. Plus the comraderie in the paddock of a NASA event surpasses ANYTHING ever experienced in a NASCAR pit.

Definately choose a class that has multiple participants. It will vary from region to region. Find the one with the most cars in a class and wheel it.

Have a blast!

"Find the one with the most cars in a class and wheel it." I am going to a couple of NASA races, one in Oct. and one in Nov. November is the West Coast Nationals (of which you all are probably aware). That should give me a good feel for participation totals .

mcmmotorsports, your points make sense, and I do appreciate your input.

Thanks

Mike