Apexdreamer45

HPDE Questions From A New Guy

Apexdreamer45

Hello, all new to the forum here and NASA as well. I'm looking to get involved in HPDE events but noticed the next event closest to me (Watkins Glen) does not have a HPDE class 1, its scheduled for groups 2 through 4. My on track experience include karting, motorcycle roadracing, and a Bob Bondurant course some years ago.

How do I move forward with this? I'm also looking into E30 rentals for future events. Any help that can be passed my way is greatly appreciated. I apologize if I'm missing something here or my question is redundant.

Thanks for the help!

subaru927

It is a very popular event. It is likely that the HPDE1 groups have already filled, since we are so close to the event. From the registration page: "Immediate questions can be sent to [email protected] Registration questions can be sent to [email protected]." You can send an email to one of them asking, and you may be able to get on a long wait list. I'm not sure if there is anything else that can be worked out given you've done the Bondurant school in the past.

Northeast region also has an HPDE only day up at Watkins glen around early May each year.

Apexdreamer45

Subaru927, thank you for the reply as well as the E-mail addresses. I understand its short notice on my part. Realisticly I was looking at getting started in 2015 but thought I might be able to get an event in this season being the Glen is only about 3 hours from me. Actually I'm about 2.5 hours from Beaver Run in Pittsburgh and Nelson Ledges, Mid Ohio is just over 3 hours. I joined NASA and I'll have to keep an eye out for the upcoming 2015 schedule. NJMP and Summit Point are options, just more drive time to get there.

I'm not really set up with a dedicated track car but I can at least get out on the track for some HPDE events with my Mazda 3. That's also why I was looking into possibly a rental E30 here and there for some events.

Thank you again for your help.

37Stang

Summit Point has a HPDE only event in early November...

Apexdreamer45

Thank you for the replies and Summit Point information. Its greatly appreciated.

Apexdreamer45

Ok guys I've got a question, im probably making this harder than it is or overthinkng it. When I search tracks and events and it lists HPDE 1, 2, 3, 4 and shows the dates and lists a price, is that price listed the cost for both days of driving or is it for only 1 day of driving at the track? The reason I ask is that it does not seem to allow me to pick a day, as an example a Saturday or Sunday. Possibly I have just not followed the registration process far enough to be given that option.

Thanks for the help everyone!

getfast

The price you see at the bottom of a registration page is for the days listed to the left. For example, the first choice from https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1872 is:

Sat Nov 08 Sun Nov 09 HPDE 1 Beginner weekend entry w/instructor & classroom $355 HPDE-1

Because that shows both days on the left next to the check box to select it and proceed, that means it's for both days on track. If you saw that at a different rate and showing only one day, that would be a one day entry instead.

I can't speak for NASA as a whole but in "my" regions our events are all weekend by design and HPDE1 is always both days to make sure the basics are fully taught and extensively practiced. Also because it's cheaper per day that way... and because something like 95% of participants will register for both days at a discount instead of one day at full price when given a choice. Typically 1-day entry availability varies by region, event, and track. Additionally some regions, including mine, don't do Sunday only entries due to many problems in the past.

Apexdreamer45

Getfast, thank you for clarifying this for me. I really appreciate your reply.