Is it just me or GTS numbers are dropping?

UKRBMW

Man, I cannot wait to get back into these discussions.....

Man on a budget here with a lot of other factors keeping me from the racetrack. I am hoping on a limited return in 2015, so +1 GTS/2 Great Lakes. My 944 will be 30, (1985) so that makes it a /1, not really the most sought after 944 platform for GTS/2. Crappy Torque, Crappy HP, Crappy Brakes, Crappy Ratios, Crappy ECU... so when it looked like I couldn't run with some of the newer metal, I made some critical changes, back to the front again, more changes. So now I have Pretty Crappy Torque, Pretty Crappy HP, still Crappy Brakes, Still Crappy Ratios, and the same old Crappy ECU. Last ran in 2012:

Podiums in all races, Qualified for Championships, got down to .37's at Mid Ohio and was still competitive. Looking at times at all the tracks I have raced at, I think (hope) I will still be in the fray wherever I go.

I am one of the early GTS Guys, kept the Series intact when it almost disbanded after 2004, as Series Director, back when Great Lakes was Ohio/Indiana Region. Talk about thin numbers! There was us and Mid Atlantic. I would argue until the end about "Why GTS". Why, because this is what we have built (series) and this is what we have passion for, racing German bred and designed sports cars. We watch the ruleset closely, and we guard the original intent of the series with passion. We wish to preserve GTS as one of the preeminate series in NASA. All drivers, crews and any spectators can relate to the German cars on the racetrack because of the age long racing heritage of the manufacturers, and in our small amateur (!!!) world, we can be part of that heritage.

Hear it every year, change the HP/TQ rules, incorporate other cars (ETS = European), limit aero, limit tire/wheel size, to much metal to metal on track, get rid of the 13/13 rule, just look over the elderly posts on this forum.... and I will guarantee, we will hear from the same few folks over some of the same old arguments again in 2015.

Things change every year, every region, every series. There are so many factors that can figure into car counts, but one of the best conclusions (and closest to correct IMO) I read here was a very simple one...The interest shown by the Regions Director for the series, and for he to find a qualified (read enthusiastic and thorough) regional series director that will pursue all means possible to bring competitors to the series. That means safety, camaraderie, rules enforcements, penalty enforcement (implementing the sanctions of the 13/13 or NASA CCR), addressing both the arguments and the needs of the two big Club Racing outfits to entice them to come race or return to NASA, and working with National on solutions to parry the inherent few who must win by racing on the outside of the spirit of the rules.

Anyhow, I would like to see more arguments for the series and far less against the series. Of course, these comments belong to me and are for your consideration only, think about them for a few moments.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael G.

• UKRBMW

• cstreit911

• larro

First off, How can you say that about your 944 Carl!!!!!!

second, I dont feel that numbers in just gts are dropping by themselves. it seams that numbers are low across nasa as a whole.

I am new to NASA but have just purchased an older BMW 325 GTS2 car. The car is all steel and no aero. Attached is a link to the add I found in the archives:

Listed on this forum by William G, viewtopic.php?t=45140

If anyone has any information on the builder or owner I would appreciate it. My plan for the car is to freshen the fluids and use it in local, SoCal SCCA Solo2 and BMW events then transition to NASA.

Any input on getting started would be appreciated. I have been auto crossing, starting in 1980, at both the regional and divisional level. I have competed at Lone Pine, but I understand going through the process.

Thanks for the help.

David

I am new to NASA but have just purchased an older BMW 325 GTS2 car. The car is all steel and no aero. Attached is a link to the add I found in the archives:

Listed on this forum by William G, viewtopic.php?t=45140

If anyone has any information on the builder or owner I would appreciate it. My plan for the car is to freshen the fluids and use it in local, SoCal SCCA Solo2 and BMW events then transition to NASA.

Any input on getting started would be appreciated. I have been auto crossing, starting in 1980, at both the regional and divisional level. I have competed at Lone Pine, but I understand going through the process.

Thanks for the help.

David

Where in So.Cal. do you live?? Are you planning on doing any events before the end of the year?

I live in Lake Arrowhead, the car is in Redlands.

I have commitments through the end of the year but I am looking at getting started in the new year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea if GTS numbers are dropping, or if they are, why. I do know that I bought a car last month and have started work on preparing it for GTS. I am drawn to GTS because of the open rules. The all German car fields is also a bonus for me.

I have no interest in building a ST/PT car. I have a spec series car and haven't cared enough to fix it after a wreck several years ago. I don't see why anybody would want to ruin the great GTS formula by trying to make it closer to another class. If somebody likes ST/PT so much, go race in that class.

• 4 weeks later...
I have no idea if GTS numbers are dropping, or if they are, why. I do know that I bought a car last month and have started work on preparing it for GTS. I am drawn to GTS because of the open rules. The all German car fields is also a bonus for me.

I have no interest in building a ST/PT car. I have a spec series car and haven't cared enough to fix it after a wreck several years ago. I don't see why anybody would want to ruin the great GTS formula by trying to make it closer to another class. If somebody likes ST/PT so much, go race in that class.

you will find out.

good luck man

benzito

I'd switch to ST in a second ....Much more open to all types and makes of cars.

Whether that's a positive or a negative really depends on your perspective.

• 3 months later...

I have a PTD E30 which I would like to race in GTS2 in NorCal, but I think there are only a few GTS2 cars in NorCal.

Maybe more than PTD for that matter though, which is why I am thinking about changing.

But I am concerned that GTS=higher budget.