Is this considered a brake modification?

loftygoals

I assume this answer is "yes", but I thought I would get opinions:

Are caliper bushings like this:

http://www.detroittuned.com/tyrolsport-brake-caliper-bushings/

considered a modification that would take the +2 points under

F1 - Non-BTM, modified, or relocated brake calipers and/or brake caliper brakets and/or brake rotor diameter?

The gray areas in my mind is that you aren't modifying any of the items above, but they are a metallic bushing which general take points.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-bj

So are they hardware for the brakes designed and shaped identical to OEM but offer more heat resistance? Do they change the position and/or orientation of the brakes in any way? Do you have to cut/bend/pry/weld/shape/etc the caliper and/or the bracket to install them?

If it is just a swap-in, straightforward, 1-for-1, no modification or otherwise needed, no intent or purpose other than a more robust hardware kit designed and intended for track use, then it should be 0 (zero) points. If it is ruled as being +2, then replacement brake pads from Hawk/Carbotech/etc should be +2 because they are intended to fit like OEM but are more robust for track use.

So are they hardware for the brakes designed and shaped identical to OEM but offer more heat resistance? Do they change the position and/or orientation of the brakes in any way? Do you have to cut/bend/pry/weld/shape/etc the caliper and/or the bracket to install them?

Thanks for the reply.

There are no modifications required. Direct replacement for the rubber OEM bushings. One could argue there is a small performance advantage because the prevent the caliper from twisting as much underload. The flex in the rubber bushings allow some movement. This leads to uneven pad wear. These provide some benefit by leveling out the wear. This means that the pad is more evenly loaded, making it more heat resistant. The even load does, reduce brake torque though, so maybe it is a performance wash.

I assume that most the guys that run BMWs, VWs, and Audi's use these, but I'm really want to stay away from gray areas. My Mini Cooper should be very competitive in TTC and I'm maxed out on power to weight and have 58 of 59 allowed points.

I had originally planned on doing a BBK and taking the +2 points, but I picked up an extra point on my motor for the ATI Damper (+1) I'm running to protect my investment in the new engine. The ATI damper is supposed to be OEM size and weighs more, but in reality the OEM damper is 140mm and the ATI Damper is 141.1mm, so has a 0.8% variance from OEM. Now this overdrives the accessories which should constitute a performance loss, but the rule says +1 for non-OEM pulleys and the ATI Damper is not a direct OEM replacement.

Is there a way to get official rulings on things like this? When I was running in 944 Spec I'd contact the National Series Director, I assume the same applies here.

-bj

I agree with the zero points assessment mentioned above, but the National PT/TT a director would provide the final ruling. Greg Greenbaum is your contact.

Just emailed Greg. Thanks!

interested in hearing Greg's ruling on these. The same type of bushing is made for the e36 and I always assumed it was a 2+ mod, so I've been running the rubber bushings and just replacing them every year. would be nice if I can throw my brass bushings back in the car.

Here was Greg's response:

The metal replacements for the rubber caliper bushings are a gray area, but could also be considered an assessed part as a caliper bracket modification. But, it is not clear, which usually means if you don't want problems, stay away from it.

I took that to mean forget about it. It is a moot point for me, because I need more brake than I can get from the OE calipers and rotors. I'm going to give up the aftermarket rear sway bar and use that +2 point to cover the BBK. I did testing this weekend and the car was tail happy even with the softest rear bar setting (the front is stock). I was cooking the brakes in just 3 laps, so it looks like I can fix two problems with a net 0 point change.

-bj