5th Gen Camaro?

blk96gt

Anyone built a 5th gen for AI? I've done some searching around, and can't seem to find anyone that is running one. I know they are pretty porky in stock trim (my '11 SS was 4000 lbs. with driver stock), but I'm sure you can drop a significant amount of weight by stripping the interior.

If the weight with driver could be reduced to ~3500 w/driver (that's a big if, I don't know how much can be stripped), I would be able to run a basically stock engine and be able to make the 9.25:1 P:W ratio with stock ABS. Not sure what all would be required to beef up the suspension for longevity, but I know a number of Camaros that have numerous track days (>30) with minimal problems.

This would be something I would like to build over the course of a couple years, so while the car could be competitive right now, the next gen Mustangs/Camaros may change that. So does anyone have any insight on the 5th gen? Should I just skip the Camaro and build an '11+ Mustang?

Brian Groth built one when they were brand new. I believe he was able to carve it down to ~3600lbs w/ driver but that was with a custom engine cradle and lexan. He didn't have much time to run and develop it and never really got up to speed. It's just a heavy chassis, not much getting around it. The interior doesn't weigh as much as you think and you end up sticking a good chunk back in with cage work.

As a GM guy, if you enjoy a challenge, go for it. It's not a horrible platform, it's just heavy and GM didn't give any factory support. As far as running ABS, I'd ditch it. When it works, it's great. When it goes into Ice mode, you need new underwear and probably some body work. Supposedly, the Z28 stuff has worked that out, but good luck getting your hands on those parts. Hope you have a VIN and cores to send back.

The parts bin is getting pretty stout though. An LS3, 1LE transmission, and some suspension work could probably do pretty well, but you're still driving a 3600lb car on a 275/35/18. Some people can get it done, but you better be able to drive your ass off. They're a great street car, but they don't transition over to race cars without a huge cash infusion. This can be said for most cars.

Bang for your buck, save your money and buy an '11 Mustang that's already built and go racing.

My two cents.

I was afraid of that with the weight. My initial thought was to pick up all main parts from the 1LE (suspension bits, driveshaft, etc.) excluding the transmission, since it seems to to pretty well on track. You bring up a very valid point though about racing a 3600+lbs car. From a performance standpoint I think it would do pretty well (based off of when I tracked my street 5th gen and what the 1LE can do), but I think consumables is likely what would kill it for me in the end. As you pointed out, I don't see those tires lasting that long on a 3600 lb car, and I'd be doubtful at how well they would do for a whole race.

What weights are the 11+ Mustang guys seeing in race trim?

As you pointed out, I don't see those tires lasting that long on a 3600 lb car, and I'd be doubtful at how well they would do for a whole race.

What weights are the 11+ Mustang guys seeing in race trim?

Some people can make the last a sprint race. I don't think I'd be one of them, but that's the great thing about a power to weight class. The S197 guys definitely see shorter life than I do (2800-2850lbs). The current ones on my car are at 6 HCs and still measuring almost new.

Typically, 3400-3600lbs. There are probably a few one way or another, but that's the typical range.

OP - I'm not sure if your desire is to develop a new chassis in AI, but if not, my '96 Z28 AI West #29 is for sale. I need to make up an official for sale website/ad. But the car is turn-key, $12,000 is my asking price.

Christine

[email protected]