• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• circuitmstr

• Greg G.

• kbrew8991

• ken o

+1 I need to know soon. If the A6 is going to increase in points (which doesn't make sense considering the tire is no long in production), then I need to make some decisions on tires and other mods for the season and I can't do that without knowing all the 2015 rules.

I'm just going by what the proposed rules are because its a bit late to be guessing.

This what I’ve done. Loaded up on R7s and sold off the A6 surplus. I can’t see A6s going back to +13 unless the other non run out brands/compounds that have been proposed to be bumped up come back down too. Then A7s would need adjusting etc. With the first Texas region event in mid Jan had to pull the trigger eventually. Still would be nice to know what the final decision is…

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on if or when any of the "Proposed Tire Rules" are made official?

I don't want to spend money in the wrong area. I am sure there are more than a few people wondering the same thing.

Hard to make rules when the tires barely even exist, A7/R7 are still only available in a few sizes and other new tires like R888R aren't available at all.

• National Staff
Any news on if or when any of the "Proposed Tire Rules" are made official?

I don't want to spend money in the wrong area. I am sure there are more than a few people wondering the same thing.

The rules should be out in the next few weeks.

No final decisions on rules are made until after the Championships, which was less than a month ago. The process takes time. I have no reason to believe that any of the proposed rules for tires at 10 points or more will be any different than as listed.

For the AZ guys, I left it to the discretion of your Regional Director and Regional Series Directors a week ago as to whether they want to run the early January event using the 2014 rules.

• National Staff
Hard to make rules when the tires barely even exist, A7/R7 are still only available in a few sizes and other new tires like R888R aren't available at all.

I agree. But, unfortunately, the changes are necessary.

• National Staff
I take it the P255/35ZR18 Hoosier R7/A7 will be classed as a 275 width tire like the old R6/A6 was or am I incorrect in thinking this?

Jon

No plan for that at this time, although we have not had our hands on a 255 x 18 yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Should be like this:

A. TIRES:

1) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1S, Goodyear Eagle RS AC (auto-

cross), Hoosier A7, Hankook Z214 (C90 & C91 compounds only), Hoosier Wet DOT (if

used in dry conditions—see section 5.6) +22

2) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier A6 +17

3) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires and those with a UTQG treadwear rating of

40 or less not listed otherwise in these rules: BFG R1, Goodyear Eagle RS, Hankook Z214

(C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier R7, Kumho V710 +10

4) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier SM7 +9

5) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier R6, Hoosier SM6 (note:

Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge EC-Dry tires (225, 245, 275) OK) +8

6) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Toyo Proxes RR, Hankook TD +7

7) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires and those with a UTQG treadwear rating

over 40: Maxxis RC-1 (examples: Kumho V700, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup & MPS Cup 2,

Nitto NT01, Pirelli PZero Corsa, Toyo R888, Toyo RA-1, Yokahama A048, etc.) +6

8) DOT-approved (non-R-compound) tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 120-200

(examples: BFG g-Force Rival, Toyo R1R, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec,

Bridgestone Potenza RE070, Kumho Ecsta XS, Yokohama Advan A046 & Neova AD08,

Hankook R-S3) +2

9) Non-DOT-approved racing slicks +30 (of any origin--re-caps and re-treads are not permitted)

10) The following tire sizes will be used as the base tire size for each Base Class for all

vehicles regardless of their OEM tire size(s) or their Final Competition Class. All

vehicles in a given base class may use this tire size (or smaller) without a points assessment:

PTB: 265mm, PTC: 255mm, PTD: 245mm, PTE: 235mm, PTF: 215mm,

PTG: 195mm, PTH: 175mm

Tire width points assessed or points credited are determined by the difference between the

width of the largest tire on the vehicle and the assigned base tire size as follows:

Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13,

60mm +16, 70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31

Equal to or less than: -10mm -1, -20mm -4, -30mm -7, -40mm -10

Tire width is determined by the number printed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer, unless stated otherwise in these rules. If a tire does not have a manufacturer’s printed number on the sidewall, then actual tread width measurement (not contact patch) will be used. UTQG tread wear ratings are as of the date of the current version of the PT rules. Any new tire or tire with a changed UTQG tread wear rating must be evaluated by the National PT Director before the rating will be legal for use in NASA PT classing. All DOT-approved tires must be available for purchase by the general public through Federal or state licensed tire dealers. Tire treatments and softeners are not permitted.

Exception(s) to A.8): The Hoosier 255/35-18 (A6 & R6 only) will be assessed points based on its actual 275mm size (and not the 255mm listed on the sidewall)

Don't count on seeing the Toyo R888R any time soon(maybe distant distant future)

While knowing the tire stuff is great, if any of the other points change you could be looking at a different tire setup anyway to stay in class. It's tough at year end getting all the rulesets through, it's not just TT/PT/ST in the pipeline...

While knowing the tire stuff is great, if any of the other points change you could be looking at a different tire setup anyway to stay in class. It's tough at year end getting all the rulesets through, it's not just TT/PT/ST in the pipeline...

Wouldn't other proposed rules changes have already been posted for open discussion? There's a rules suggestion thread but no official proposed rules have been posted besides tires.

that hasn't happened - GTS is the most open series with regards to inputs & discussion like that. Most other series (including TT/PT/ST) don't follow that model.

that hasn't happened - GTS is the most open series with regards to inputs & discussion like that. Most other series (including TT/PT/ST) don't follow that model.

Got it. I guess I'll keep patiently waiting to see the final 2015 rules. Hopefully they aren't too different that 2014.

Questioning the new tire rule proposals:

1.Why is the Hoosier A6 bumped 4 pts to 17pts and the R6 Lowered 2 pts to 8 points ? This effectively creates an additional 9 pts for the A6?? (The past rules had years of running these tires with a 3pt spread.)

2. Why is the A7 9pts higher than A6 ? (effectively 13pts to 22 pts) What kind of data or testing was done to justify this point increase?

3. Why is the new faster and wider R7 the same points as the old R6? In addition, the width of the new R7 is close to 20mm wider then the R6 of the same size. Should not the R7 be assessed additional points as a wider tire similar to the current a6 255 taking points as a 275? The R7 now has significant advantage over tire brands both in width and points.

Could it be that the rule proposal committee wanted the R7 not to take any further Points than the R6's? Was this done to keep the past classed R6 car (that is point maxed) in its current class ?) Is there a possibility the some of the board would have been bumped up a class if the R7 took 3-4pts? Not to mention the fact that the A6/A7 cars have now been bumped up one to two classes. Or maybe the intent was to simply make the R7 the spec tire.

I take it the P255/35ZR18 Hoosier R7/A7 will be classed as a 275 width tire like the old R6/A6 was or am I incorrect in thinking this?

Jon

No plan for that at this time, although we have not had our hands on a 255 x 18 yet.

The season in Texas starts Jan 17/18. Is it safe to build a TT letter class based on the R7 being a 255 point tire?

Thanks, just trying to avoid making yet another change.

I thought it was odd how the 255 was targeted as being too wide. When you look at the data it is actually the 275 that is too skinny.

Hoosier R7/A7, A6/R6 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 10.3

P255/35ZR18 10.8

P275/35ZR18 10.7 (should be a 11.3)

P285/30ZR18 11.5

P295/30ZR18 11.6

Questioning the new tire rule proposals:

1.Why is the Hoosier A6 bumped 4 pts to 17pts and the R6 Lowered 2 pts to 8 points ? This effectively creates an additional 9 pts for the A6?? (The past rules had years of running these tires with a 3pt spread.)

2. Why is the A7 9pts higher than A6 ? (effectively 13pts to 22 pts) What kind of data or testing was done to justify this point increase?

3. Why is the new faster and wider R7 the same points as the old R6? In addition, the width of the new R7 is close to 20mm wider then the R6 of the same size. Should not the R7 be assessed additional points as a wider tire similar to the current a6 255 taking points as a 275? The R7 now has significant advantage over tire brands both in width and points.

Could it be that the rule proposal committee wanted the R7 not to take any further Points than the R6's? Was this done to keep the past classed R6 car (that is point maxed) in its current class ?) Is there a possibility the some of the board would have been bumped up a class if the R7 took 3-4pts? Not to mention the fact that the A6/A7 cars have now been bumped up one to two classes. Or maybe the intent was to simply make the R7 the spec tire.

My guess is they wiped the slate clean of what tires cost xyz points and started fresh.

Also noteworthy:

-The SM7, which should be a better overall tire than the SM6, is down a point to +9. (And is essentially 1 point higher than a 205 R6. I actually agree with this assessment having driven both.)

-The RR and the TD are down 2 points to +7.

-All of the former +7 tires are now down a point to +6.

Point being; if you never knew what they were before, all of this would make sense.

Thanks, just trying to avoid making yet another change.

I thought it was odd how the 255 was targeted as being too wide. When you look at the data it is actually the 275 that is too skinny.

Hoosier R7/A7, A6/R6 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 10.3

P255/35ZR18 10.8

P275/35ZR18 10.7 (should be a 11.3)

P285/30ZR18 11.5

P295/30ZR18 11.6

It could be argued that "Tread Widths" don't support that argument.

Hoosier R7/A7 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 9.0

P255/35ZR18 10.3 (that's helluva jump)

P275/35ZR18 10.3

P295/30ZR18 10.6