2015 Proposed Tire Rules (TTB-TTF)

Greg G.

Thanks, just trying to avoid making yet another change.

I thought it was odd how the 255 was targeted as being too wide. When you look at the data it is actually the 275 that is too skinny.

Hoosier R7/A7, A6/R6 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 10.3

P255/35ZR18 10.8

P275/35ZR18 10.7 (should be a 11.3)

P285/30ZR18 11.5

P295/30ZR18 11.6

It could be argued that "Tread Widths" don't support that argument.

Hoosier R7/A7 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 9.0

P255/35ZR18 10.3 (that's helluva jump)

P275/35ZR18 10.3

P295/30ZR18 10.6

It could be but, I mounted an A/R6 in 245, 255, 275, 285, and 295 on the same 18x10 wheel and the numbers I presented are much closer than the numbers you presented.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• circuitmstr

• Greg G.

• kbrew8991

• ken o

Thanks, just trying to avoid making yet another change.

I thought it was odd how the 255 was targeted as being too wide. When you look at the data it is actually the 275 that is too skinny.

Hoosier R7/A7, A6/R6 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 10.3

P255/35ZR18 10.8

P275/35ZR18 10.7 (should be a 11.3)

P285/30ZR18 11.5

P295/30ZR18 11.6

It could be argued that "Tread Widths" don't support that argument.

Hoosier R7/A7 (http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm)

P245/40ZR18 9.0

P255/35ZR18 10.3 (that's helluva jump)

P275/35ZR18 10.3

P295/30ZR18 10.6

It could be but, I mounted an A/R6 in 245, 255, 275, 285, and 295 on the same 18x10 wheel and the numbers I presented are much closer than the numbers you presented.

I don't have any supporting data other than what's on the site... but according to that data posted, it's not "odd" to me that it gets targeted for being too wide.

2. Why is the A7 9pts higher than A6 ? (effectively 13pts to 22 pts) What kind of data or testing was done to justify this point increase?

According to Jeff Speer at Hoosier, the A7 has the exact same compound as the A6. I think it's a no brainer for TT guys to choose the A6 over the A7 with that much points spread:

Per Jeff:

Good morning and thank you for writing. I am glad you saw our ad in Grassroots Motorsports. It is true that the A6 and the A7 racing tread compound are the same.

The Tread Pattern and internal component designs are different than the "A6" model.

The R7 did have a racing tread compound change.

Hope this explanation helps. Have a great new year.

Jeffrey A. Speer

Product Manager

Hoosier Racing Tire

2. Why is the A7 9pts higher than A6 ? (effectively 13pts to 22 pts) What kind of data or testing was done to justify this point increase?

According to Jeff Speer at Hoosier, the A7 has the exact same compound as the A6. I think it's a no brainer for TT guys to choose the A6 over the A7 with that much points spread:

Per Jeff:

Good morning and thank you for writing. I am glad you saw our ad in Grassroots Motorsports. It is true that the A6 and the A7 racing tread compound are the same.

The Tread Pattern and internal component designs are different than the "A6" model.

The R7 did have a racing tread compound change.

Hope this explanation helps. Have a great new year.

Jeffrey A. Speer

Product Manager

Hoosier Racing Tire

I got the same email from Jeff when I asked about the A7/R7.

On another note, how can we continue to chase track records if when newer and faster tires are released we can't run them without significant, if not impossible points to overcome? Why not let the tires evolve, if they do evolve and keep the points the same? 22 points for A7 pretty much seals track records as most don't have the points in TT letter class to spend 9 points on tires.

On another note, how can we continue to chase track records if when newer and faster tires are released we can't run them without significant, if not impossible points to overcome? Why not let the tires evolve, if they do evolve and keep the points the same? 22 points for A7 pretty much seals track records as most don't have the points in TT letter class to spend 9 points on tires.

Ken, I'm not entering the tire debate, but I did want to comment on track records. It is common that rules reshuffling cause a series or class to be slower. It has happened in NASCAR and F1. It is just the evolution of the series. I would like to set track records, but my biggest concern is the competitiveness with the other cars in class in any given season. I'm not saying the tire rules changes create parity, because honestly, it's my first season in TT and I've never paid much attention to the points system and compounds until now.

-bj

• National Staff

On another note, how can we continue to chase track records if when newer and faster tires are released we can't run them without significant, if not impossible points to overcome?

Wanna bet that track records continue to fall?

A6 vs R7 plus 3 points = new track records

R6 vs R7 = new track records

BFG R1 vs BFG r1 plus 3 points = new track records

Toyo RR vs Toyo RR plus 2 points = new track records

R6 vs R6 plus 2 points = new track records.

Case closed. No more arguments. No more ink.

A6 vs R7 plus 3 points = new track records

R6 vs R7 = new track records

BFG R1 vs BFG r1 plus 3 points = new track records

Toyo RR vs Toyo RR plus 2 points = new track records

R6 vs R6 plus 2 points = new track records.

SM6 vs SM7 + 1 point (rear camber adjustment) = I can lower my current records and help my tires last longer

You know the tire rules came out pretty fair when I have multiple options and NO IDEA yet which tire I want to go with for 2015. Decisions, decisions.

You know the tire rules came out pretty fair when I have multiple options and NO IDEA yet which tire I want to go with for 2015. Decisions, decisions.

Too many options:

Run Maxxis (with +3 to spare; a lot of AZ E cars will be on them and it will make things fun)

Run RR (and do bigger/lighter brakes for PT with the +2)

Run SM7

Run a shaved 225 +2 tire (and 1 point to spare)

Scrap everything and dump more weight and run D lol

• 2 weeks later...

I for one agree with the new points Greg has set for the A6/A7.

Ken, as you know the first race of 2015 for NASA Texas saw SIX TT records reset.

Congratulations to all of the class winners from this weekend! We had a record 38 competitors in TT on Sunday, and had 6 track records set!

TTE - Team Black Armor - 1:49.525

TTC - Team Vorshlag - 1:43.733

TTB - Allan Page - 1:40.805

TT2 - Bill Woods - 1:38.550

TT1 - Raymund Guerrero - 1:37.114

TTU - Paul Costas - 1:34.301

Way to go, folks.

DSC_5966-M.jpg

Three of the TT class winners were on R7s, and TTB was faster than my old TT3 record (which I set on 315mm A6s).

20150118_120911-M.jpg

The Hoosier R7 is not as sticky as the A6/A7 compound, for sure, but it damn sure isn't slow and I think we will see the track records continue to fall this year in the letter classes. I set my fastest laps on the R7 on lap one that Sunday, so they don't require a lot of pre-heating - on heavy cars, at least. The tire wear looks radically better than an A6; compared to last year when we were lucky to get ONE good weekend out of a set of A6s, now it looks like we'll see 3+ competitive weekends on the R7. Better cost-to-performance ratio and nobody has to play the crazy A6/A7 Tire Wars in TT-letter classes anymore. Fine by me...

DSC_6181-M.jpg

Dyson won TT3 class on Sunday in a TTB S2000 (dyno-reclass-special) on 22 heat cycle old R7s as well. They just aren't falling off at all like the A6.

The Hoosier R7 is not as sticky as the A6/A7 compound, for sure, but it damn sure isn't slow and I think we will see the track records continue to fall this year in the letter classes.

Perfect weather for setting records.

If the R7 is not as fast as the A6 we will need to see how the other events go. I am all for having a tire that is fast and last more than 20 laps. Hopefully this is it.

• National Staff

On another note, how can we continue to chase track records if when newer and faster tires are released we can't run them without significant, if not impossible points to overcome?

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!

OK, "NASA, we have a little problem here...." Terry Fair agrees with Greg.

Ken, Terry didn't say "as fast", he said "as sticky". It is "as fast" due to the updated design with larger contact patch, etc.

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!

OK, "NASA, we have a little problem here...." Terry Fair agrees with Greg.

Ken, Terry didn't say "as fast", he said "as sticky". It is "as fast" due to the updated design with larger contact patch, etc.

Easy cowboy, don't throw all your money at the first stripper, one race is not a season. But hey, I can admit it when I am wrong. Like I said I hope it is faster and last long.

Kudos to Hoosier Tire for another great tire and supporting NASA!

Weather if anything was a bit hotter than typical for Jan MSRH. It's usually 45-50, not 65+. Colder air = more real world HP (dyno corrects it downward).

I second the "very small sample size" comments though. Even one full season in one region is a small sample size really...

I think the points look good and seem in line with the real world performance. Kudos.

Says the guy who just obliterated the VIR track record for TTE by ~2.7 seconds on NT-01's

Now I can run Toyo RR...