Thoughts on this Rule: 7.3.1-6 Wireless ECU Communications

loftygoals

7.3.1 Restrictions and Limitations for All Vehicles (Non-Production and Production)

6) From the start of competition through the end of post competition inspection, vehicles

may not have any adjustments or modifications made to systems that could alter

chassis dynamometer readings by changing horsepower levels (without the direct

approval of the TT Director.) Any hardware that allows a competitor or crew

member to wirelessly connect to the ECU at any time during competition or

post-competition impound is strictly prohibited, regardless of whether such

hardware is external or internal to the ECU, and regardless of the direction of

data flow.

Isn't this rule too broad and prohibitive? This means using an OBD2 bluetooth or wifi adapter with an app like Harry's Laptimer or RaceChrono Pro on my smartphone to log RPM, throttle position, etc is illegal.

Even a RaceKeeper data acquisition system would be illegal because it plugs in to the ODB2 dataport and the can broadcast the data over wifi to a iPhone or Android device for the dash display.

I don't think that is the intent of this rule. Thoughts?

-bj

Doesn't a HUD also technically transmit data wirelessly from the ECU to the driver? There is no wire between the projector and the display on the glass...

I have both a HUD and bluetooth OBDII transmitter, guess I'm doubly illegal.

guess I'm doubly illegal.

Yeah, it's silly. That's why I'm asking. I know the intent is to prevent modifications of the vehicle's running parameters, but the way it is written it prevents modern data collection and display.

The block in bold is repeated several times in the ruleset, not just in 7.3.1-6 (TT1-TT3). It is also listed in the following locations:

• 8.1.2 Minimum “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratios” for each Class (TTB-TTF)
  • 9.1 Dyno Testing Procedures (All, TT1-TTF)

The reason I asked this question is because I was planning on running a RaceCapture Pro in my TTC car. I am also planning on installing a RCP in my GTS car. GTS has a simular rule. The RaceCapture unit uses bluetooth to connect display data on a smartphone or tablet.

One additional feature is that the RaceCapture can stream data to a website for realtime review. Of course, Harry's Laptimer can do that too.

Under the following section live data streaming (aka Telemetry) is illegal as well:

I. NO-POINTS MODIFICATIONS - h. Body - 17) Data acquisition systems—Telemetry directly or indirectly from/to the ECU is not permitted.

Telemetry in the CCR is defined as:

Telemetry is defined as wireless communication of data between the vehicle and crew in either direction at any

time. This includes any data which could directly be read from the ECU or sensors; and/or be used to modify

any operating parameters of the vehicle, either on track or otherwise.

Although the CCR defines telemetry broadly, the #17 rule only applies to data from the ECU. So, if I am collecting RPM data from the ECU and sending it wirelessly I'm illegal on this rule, but if I'm picking it up from the coil, I'm legal? Since the coil is controlled by the ECU, a better example is the water temperature sensor: from the ECU-illegal, direct from the sensor-legal. It doesn't make sense to me.

-bj

If impound was actually looking for this they would find a ton of cars breaking this rule.

I would like to see a change in the rules to allow data logging from the ECU.

I'm perfectly ok with allowing people varying means to monitor their car.

I'm perfectly NOT ok with allowing people any means that can be nefariously used to monkey with what kind of power their car may or may not make.

Whatever rule that meets both is ok with me (and probably most everyone I'd guess...)

I think it certainly makes sense to allow the usage of an aftermarket ECU's data logging functions (or a separate box that monitor's an OEM ECU), but it seems to be impossible to enforce Section 8's "no engine map changes" during competition rule if the USB/data port is not sealed. Which I don't think is a bad thing. As long as a car is compliant I don't see any issue with forbidding a map swap during competition.*

*= obviously this does NOT mean on-the-fly map switching or anything of the sort that would circumvent compliance with class rules.

I think it certainly makes sense to allow the usage of an aftermarket ECU's data logging functions (or a separate box that monitor's an OEM ECU), but it seems to be impossible to enforce Section 8's "no engine map changes" during competition rule if the USB/data port is not sealed.

Even if you sealed the data port, there about a million other ways to control both OEM and aftermarket ECUs from CANbus to switched to sensor manipulation. And you don't have to just worry about increasing performance on track, but also sandbagging on the dyno.

-bj