Budget Aero?

Sterling Doc

As my LS1 swapped 944 Turbo build progresses, I'm looking into ways to do aero on a budget. I had origionally planned on leaving aero for the second year, and using the non-aero HP bump provision in ST3. This correction factors works out to all of about 14 HP, though, so even a fairly simple effort at aero would seem to be more than worthwhile.

Ultimately, I'd like to go with Good Aero's complete package using the Raptor wing, and Jim Steven's splitter. As aero wasn't in the budget at all, Good Aero unfortunately isn't at all, yet (hopefully next year)

While I've been able to find all sorts of great used parts in terms of wheels, brake calipers/suspension/motor mods, wings and aero seem very scare. I can find a few used "Car of Tomorrow" wings for around $500, which may be an option, I'm insterested in opinions on this (does it work at less than NASCAR speeds?), and other options. Uprights I think I can fabricate, as well as a basic splitter. I've seen some attempts at wing fabrication, but I think this goes beyond my skills/comfort zone.

Any tips/thoughts/leads would be appreciated!

Project is now decked out for tonight's Halloween party:

i-T3t7RFc-L.jpg

i-B3pKPbD-L.jpg

I do not speak from personal experience, but Blaine Fabrication has lexan rear spoilers that are used in CMC. He says the 7" high version is good for cars with no front aero and the 10" version for cars with.

http://blainefab.com/spoiler.html

You could probably make something for less than his $400 asking price until you can go to a real wing. I also cannot find the online article now, but there is at least one related to NASCAR showing the relationship between angle, downforce, and drag.

Good to see another ST3 build in the Great Lakes/Midwest region. There are a few other ST3 builds going on now too, we should have good car counts next year.

For front aero I use a 1/4 inch thick Alumalite panel. It comes in 4X8 sheets and you get it at your local sign shop. My air dam is just aluminum sheet metal and with some various brackets and hardware from Home Depot I probably have less than $200 in front aero.

I have a Kognition rear wing. When I was wing shopping he was about the cheapest and can make about any width you want with the uprights spaced where you want. If you want it on the car by April you better order it soon, it took him awhile to build and ship it.

Here's another vote for alumalite in the front or rear. Though my previous rear setup was made of lexan for visibility. Either will work.

358qamp.jpg

koxlu.jpg

This was optimized for an autocross car. With effective downforce at speeds of 20-80mph. Though the sweetspot was in the 40-60 range. Never had that setup into triple digits. I think the front would be ok with additional support. In the rear, I would reduce the AoA by probably %50.

If you can handle some basic fab work. This will be by far the best bang for the buck.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy