PROPOSED RULE 2015: Allowance for front-wheel drive cars

JSG1901

Proposed change

The +1.0 rule for FWD cars that currently exists for PT & ST race series and TT.

Reason

I was told that you couldn't build a national pace FWD car in GTS. That just made me more determined to try it, but after a year of racing and starting the development of the car I am coming to the conclusion "they" may be right. Especially after seeing there were zero FWD cars at the Eastern Nationals.

+1.0 means a FWD car in GTS2 is a 13.5lb/HP car instead of a 14.5lb/HP car.

Proposed wording

Same as in ST 7.4.2 Modification Factors: FWD = +1.0

or

Appendix A—“Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio” Calculation for PTB-PTF

FWD= +1.0

fwiw if you ask many of the RWD and AWD competitors in the TT, PT and ST series they'll say that 1.0 credit is too large, esp at lower whp levels. No issue with letting FWD claw back some of its disadvantage, just an arguement as to how much help they need / don't need.

No

Example: the Audi TTRS VLN is front wheel drive, and has absolutely no disadvantage to RWD or AWD race cars. One won the 25Hours of Thunderhill last year.

fwiw if you ask many of the RWD and AWD competitors in the TT, PT and ST series they'll say that 1.0 credit is too large, esp at lower whp levels. No issue with letting FWD claw back some of its disadvantage, just an arguement as to how much help they need / don't need.

Yes, with above discussion of credit value.

What happens when it rains, does it go the other way?

and my vote is no.

No problem, just make sure half the races are wet races..

No.

1 is too big. In addition the advantage would have to be different by class although it would be cool to see a GTS5 FWD car. I'm thinking enormous wing on the hood.

One of the best battles I've ever had in my racing career was with a FWD Jetta GLI driven by a pro driver. FWD doesn't need any more advantages.

I vote no.

I have been thinking about this one. As people have pointed out, front wheel drive has performance disadvantages in the dry and advantages in the wet. How much is the advantage? Is it fairly even across cars. I was trying to think of ways to measure it and get a fair comparison. Saying a GTI is slower than an M3 just leads to "well, duh!". How does Honda Challenge handle it? They have FWD Civics and Integras against RWD S2000s. Same maker, similar weights, similar power, fairly large fields of each. I haven't looked at their rule set, but if the GTS directors decide this is something worth considering as a change, HC would be a good reference point. Unless there is some sort of known, repeatable reference on which to base the adjustment amount, I would vote no to this.