Drumrboy

When are SA 2005 helmets no longer usable in NASA?

Drumrboy

As the title suggests, how long can we use SA 2005 helmets since the 2015s may not be available until midyear 2015?

waraya

Contact Ron Z ar Discovery Parts. He will know

getfast
Contact NASA's national office. They will know

^ fixed that for ya

ffspecracer

2000's were good through 2011. So it would seem to follow that 2005's would be good through 2016.

braknl8
Contact NASA's national office. They will know

^ fixed that for ya

...because a regional director wouldn't know? Sorry couldn't help it...

getfast

Lol, I'm a regional director and I don't know I mean I remember what we did the last time the helmet-rating cycle came around, but I haven't yet been told the same will happen this time. (Nor do I have any reason to believe it will be different, but again, RD's haven't yet been told unless I missed it.)

Safety & gear related decisions are generally made by national... contacting them directly is the best way to get such questions answered until an official determination has been released. Doesn't really matter what anyone states here in the meantime, unless they're national staff, or a Pantas

braknl8
Lol, I'm a regional director and I don't know

Yep, that's why I was giving you a hard time. Will stop the thread hijack now...

snakebit

My 05 helmet has a NASA2015 sticker on it from tech a few years ago. I assume its good thru 2015.

John

wildhorsesracing
My 05 helmet has a NASA2015 sticker on it from tech a few years ago. I assume its good thru 2015.

John

It means we'll check it again in 2015 and issue a 2020 decal if it's still good (SA 2010 or newer).

retlaw

but it should be good through out the 2015 season ? correct ? since the '15's won't be out until the fall of '15 ?????

wildhorsesracing
but it should be good through out the 2015 season ? correct ? since the '15's won't be out until the fall of '15 ?????

That is generally correct - but this only applies to folks who are Racing.

HPDE and TT have no deadline on their helmets:

Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1995 (SA1995; M1995) or newer (or equivalent) standards

for cars or motorcycles.

retlaw

had not realized that the TT standard was that loose … thanks

Discoveryparts

Each club will have it's own rules so NASA Natl will post their exact ruling.

Here Are The SA2015 Facts:

The first day that they can ship is November 1, 2015 - TRUE

ALL SA2015 Helmets will be available to ship from all Manufacturers 11-01-2015- FALSE SA2015 testing is a VERY difficult standard. More popular helmets first, special applications later, this has taken 30-60 days in the past.

SA2005 Are Not Legal After 01-01-20015 - FALSE Not for what we do. My recommendation is to allow SA2005 helmets until 1st quarter 2016. This allows all manufacturers enough time to have the full line available and allow racers enough time to research the one item you look forward to buying, hoping they never need it.

Cliff Notes, Manufacturers ship to https://www.discoveryparts.com/ 11-1-2015. We receive 1-2 days later and ship same day. Racers receive them 1-5 days after that. I would like to see the extension SA2005 "Expiration Date" 1Q 2015 so all Racers are not rushed. Any questions call us, stop by our showroom at Atlanta Motorsports Park, or see us trackside.

TowDawg

Good call Ron. Hopefully the powers that be take that advice.

I wasn't aware that 11/1 was first day they could even be released by the manufacturers. That definitely doesn't give a lot of time to see the offerings and decide which one you want in time for the 2016 season. Not to mention the flood of people all trying to buy right off the bat.

If they don't do that this time, hopefully they will for 2021, since mine is 2010.

Varkwso

That is generally correct - but this only applies to folks who are Racing.

HPDE and TT have no deadline on their helmets:

Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1995 (SA1995; M1995) or newer (or equivalent) standards

for cars or motorcycles.

Beat me to it...