Which Texas races have the biggest AI field?

47car

A few of us westerners were thinking about joining you TX boys at one of your races. Which of your races has the best combination of turnout and track fun level? I have been told a few years ago that the Hallett race is one of the biggest fields. Is that still true?

I am a Colorado guy and I will be at Cresson in march, tws in April and hallet! Hallet is by far the most appealing! In my opinion it is bucket list material. All of the Texas guys rave about tws. Do Hallet!

• Members

Hallett is by FAR the best track to cross-over. It's more centrally located (North) for the rest of the country. The track itself was repaved last season so should be rubbering in nicely. Also, the atmosphere of "Hallett" is something you don't get anywhere else. The AI/CMC guys typically are up late into the night drinking and bench racing on both Friday and Saturday. Our region puts on a nice Saturday night dinner/beer so you don't have to worry about going out anywhere local (well, there isn't really anything close to Hallett anyway)...

AI should field 12+ cars, SI should field 2+ cars, and CMC should field 20+ cars, based on this season's turnout.

AI times are anywhere from a low 1:25 to mid 1:31

SI times are rather unknown as our "pointy end of the stick" wasn't there that weekend. I'd figure they are mid 1:26 to mid 1:30's

CMC times are anywhere from mid 1:28 to high 1:36

Also, one of the things that makes Hallett, well.... Hallett is that we collect points to determine grid position for the "championship" race.

Race 1: Standing start based on qual times

Race 2: Rolling start invert from R1 finishing position

Race 3: Rolling start invert from R2 finishing position

Race 4 (Championship Race): Standing start based on point gathered from R1-R3 (typically a 30-45 minute race)

and you are also racing for this beauty:

10482263_10201130385821146_1939740577403048570_o.jpg

Alrighty then. It's settled. Hallett it is! We had a potential Buttonwillow race slotted in for that weekend but we will have to delete that one.

I will try to talk as many of our guys into making the trip.

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Oh, also, is that sneak peek schedule that Will posted set in stone as far as the Summer Shootout goes?

just as an aside, TWS is getting bulldozed in late May / early June.... if you ever wanted to do it time is running out.

Hallett is an "event" for sure tough to go too wrong.

Hallett is a tight short track. Mid July is usually 95-100 degrees with a good amount of humidity. With no long straights, the brakes take a beating and you are up in the high RPM's quite a bit of the time.

Just make sure you cooling is in the best shape possible!!! Engine, brake, and driver cooling!!

• Members
Hallett is a tight short track. Mid June is usually 95-100 degrees with a good amount of humidity. With no long straights, the brakes take a beating and you are up in the high RPM's quite a bit of the time.

Just make sure you cooling is in the best shape possible!!! Engine, brake, and driver cooling!!

Fixed it for you... Event is in June.

Hallett has been on my list of "must attend" venues for quite some time ... haven't been able to make it work the last few seasons ... would love to get a big AI car count from a few outside regions ... I would go for sure.

E Fisher #12

AI / AIX

I would choose TWS over hallet since it will never be driven again after may. Plus it's a lot more entertaining than hallet. Faster, more pucker factor. Hallet is tiny, hard to pass and no runoff room. You go off you are in the trees or tires.

Corey, Matt White here using the wife's account. I HIGHLY suggest TWS in April. As has been said, it may not be with us after May 2015 so take your chance to run it while you can. Hallett will be there in 2016 and beyond. Heck, run TWS in april, haul the stuff north and leave it in Tulsa and come back in June to race!

While Hallett has it's charm, TWS is the Grand Master for speed in Texas. If you want to experience a track that will reward courage with high speed and high thrills, DO TWS. If you want a small track with some fun, come back to do hallett after you do TWS.

BTW, I have an idea that Will needs to look into. Make it a 3 day event at TWS and run a couple different configurations including the CW, CCW, 1.8 and dare I say it, the 3.1 grand prix course. If it can be done, some ST cars will see 185 mph going into T1....you want pucker factor?! Only issue is if it rains it would be dangerous. Heck, make it a 4 day event, double the entry fee and I bet you STILL fill the weekend. Nothing like a race at a venue that is closing just a few weeks later.

TWS does sound cool but I think Hallett is going to work better with our schedule. We already have an april race scheduled for Buttonwillow. Thanks for the input though.

Are you going to be at Hallett Matt?

TWS does sound cool but I think Hallett is going to work better with our schedule. We already have an april race scheduled for Buttonwillow. Thanks for the input though.

Should be unless something happens. Wife and I are holding an event at Hastings a few weeks before and hope to have both cars there. Both will be running ST1.

Would be good to see you guys again! Been since 2009 at Miller and I still want to get those Champ race videos from you sometime before 2020!