First HPDE, looking to keep surprises to a minimum

hybrjd

Hello all,

This will be my first track day with a car, and it will be my first with NASA.

I'm looking to keep track day surprises to a minimum so I have a few questions...

Details about me: I'm in Southeast region, I'm attending CMP in Feb. I've done one other track day on a motorcycle a few months ago. I have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

#1: I'll be driving my ride there and do not have a lot of space for extras. What should I most definitely bring? I'm thinking a small tool box + cooler + tiny folding chair.

#2: I can perform basic maintenance on the car and it is in good condition. Fresh brakes, fluid, coolant, oil, etc. I can take out all the junk in the car, but is there anything else I should be sure to do before-hand or to take with me?

#3: Helmet. I do not have one for cars. I have a motorcycle helmet. Can I either bring my motorcycle helmet or rent a helmet there?

#4: My car (MR2) is a T-top car. Is this a problem? Do I need to do anything special for it?

Edit:

#5: What is CMP's policy on staying overnight on premises?

Hello all,

I'm looking to keep track day surprises to a minimum so I have a few questions...

Details about me: I'm in Southeast region, I'm attending CMP in Feb. I've done one other track day on a motorcycle a few months ago. I have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

#1: I'll be driving my ride there and do not have a lot of space for extras. What should I most definitely bring? I'm thinking a small tool box + cooler + tiny folding chair.

When I instruct and drive my street car - thats about it along with my helmet and spending money.

#2: I can perform basic maintenance on the car and it is in good condition. Fresh brakes, fluid, coolant, oil, etc. I can take out all the junk in the car, but is there anything else I should be sure to do before-hand or to take with me?

Nope - plenty of friendly folks can be found in the paddock to help you out and Discovery Parts on site

#3: Helmet. I do not have one for cars. I have a motorcycle helmet. Can I either bring my motorcycle helmet or rent a helmet there?

Contact Julie ASAP if you need to rent a helmet - your M helmet is not designed for this. I haven't read the CCRs lately but every other group I instruct for has gone to NO M rated helmets.

Want to buy one - Call Discovery Parts before the event - He'll have several options for you.

#4: My car (MR2) is a T-top car. Is this a problem? Do I need to do anything special for it?

Try not to have your helmet above the roof line

Edit:

Camping is allowed, I know they charge for 30 amp service. Reg 120 vac/15 amp - I'm not sure.

Good luck at your first NASA event, you're gonna love it.

If you plan on doing more than a few events, think about buying a helmet vs. renting, they're not that expensive and you can always upgrade down the road. At most of NASA's events there will be vendor(s) on site to sell racing gear. I've bought all my gear from the vendors at the events. Makes it easier to try on for sizing.

It is good to bring a torque wrench with the proper socket, so you can check the wheel lug nuts before each session. Also, when you come off the track, then the brakes will be hot, so when you get back to the paddock, then I've heard that it is best to not use the emergency parking brake, as it could cause some damage. - Jim

Contact Julie ASAP if you need to rent a helmet - your M helmet is not designed for this. I haven't read the CCRs lately but every other group I instruct for has gone to NO M rated helmets.

This brings up a great point... you should read the CCR before your first event, many guidelines are contained within. https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/ccr.pdf

The answer about whether most Snell M helmets are ok for NASA HPDE (hint: they are) is in there too.

You mentioned fresh brakes and fluid but the type of brakes and fluid is important. You can probably get by with a new set of oem pads and standard brake fluid but I don't recommend it. CMP is hard on both. I've seen people have ruined weekends (expensive weekends) because their brakes were overheating. It is hard to learn to approach a corner at speed when your brakes are mushy. It might not be as much of an issue in a light car like yours but I'd still put racing fluid in it and get some track pads. Track pads are expensive. Probably my biggest consumable expense. But, they are worth it. You'll brake more confidently and learn faster. If you never go back to the track you can still use the pads on the street. Some manufacturers don't recommend it but the only real issue is dust and noise.

Bring plenty to drink. Bring something to tighten lug nuts. Air is available on site. NASA folks are friendly and usually willing to lend a helping hand or tool if you need it. Most folks who stay in tents usually don't end up paying to camp.

February at CMP is often sunny and pleasant, like last year, or bitter cold and windy even with the sun out. Bring some warm cloths. And if you camp, make sure you are prepared for the wind and cold.

You can rent garage space for $50 a day. Call early. I've done it once, and it rained, and I was glad I had it.

A low end Bell helmet from Ron at Discovery Parts has served me well for three years but it sounds like your helmet might be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

This brings up a great point... you should read the CCR before your first event, many guidelines are contained within. https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/ccr.pdf

The answer about whether most Snell M helmets are ok for NASA HPDE (hint: they are) is in there too.

I usually double check the CCR before I head out to a NASA event (I think I ran one or two NASA events last year, early in the year)

I'm surprised the CCR hasn't changed for M rated helmets. every other group I instruct for will NOT let you on track with an M rated helmet.

• 3 weeks later...
Jim and Julie Pantas run NASA-SE.

CORRECTION: Julie Pantas runs NASA-SE. Jim works for Julie.

Now that we've got that squared away, welcome to the SE! Every NASA Region has their own subtle way of doing things. Read the section(s) of the CCR that pertain to you. Then, after you've registered, make sure to read through the welcome packet being emailed to you within the next week or so. Then make sure to read through the Supplemental Regulations for the event. The Supps will often contain stuff pertinent to the venue as each track has its own rules that NASA (or anyone else renting the facility) has to abide by -- camping fees, pet policy, etc.

There are 2 tools I recommend bringing that you'll use over & over throughout the weekend -- torque wrench & tire pressure gauge. Other then that, I wouldn't worry too much about bringing any tools unless you know there is one particular tool that is difficult to come by particular to your car. Same goes for a jack or jack stands -- there's bound to be someone paddocked nearby willing to lend you what you might need. (If you paddock near the Thunder Roadster crowd, come find me & I'll be more than happy to help you should the need arise.)

Hello all,

When I instruct and drive my street car - thats about it along with my helmet and spending money.

Nope - plenty of friendly folks can be found in the paddock to help you out and Discovery Parts on site

Want to buy one - Call Discovery Parts before the event - He'll have several options for you.

Try not to have your helmet above the roof line

Edit:

Camping is allowed, I know they charge for 30 amp service. Reg 120 vac/15 amp - I'm not sure.

A few tips. Get a few good quality plastic containers that fit into your cars trunk and storage areas. This makes it fast to unload, pack up, and find stuff. A tarp is great if your out in the open in the rain. Put the tarp down, boxes on half the tarp, fold over with top half, top off with spare tire so wind doesn't blow it off. Remember to locate the fold so the rain does not flow into the tarp. I can't tell you how many times I got to a sunny track only to get caught in the rain. Don't forget the umbrella! YellowStuff pads are really good. They are racing pads for the street. A lot of pads need to get heated up to to work well. These work well on the street and track, from 0 to 1000 degrees.

Would recommend stainless steel brake lines and speed bleeders also. WARNING: Track Days are Addictive! Symptoms: Ear to Ear grins!

I've seen far more negative reviews of EBC products from heavy trackday users than I've seen positive.

Hawk and Carbotech seem to have a great positive review ratio. There are other good ones out there too. See what's popular for your specific platform that has a good review ratio. Brakes are all kinda weird, what may be great for one car may be not good on another due to all the different details that differ between the platforms.

Agreed. Car track and driving style are all factors. How much track time vs street time also. Do you have the link for pad reviews? I know that there are pads that are more dedicated as track pads. I suggested the EBC because the 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo is similar in size and weight to my S2000 and it is a good combination pad. They work well on the street and I have never faded the on the track. Maybe I'm not driving fast enough

I have run a few different pad combos on my Mustang and Miata and always seem to come back to Hawk. Carbotechs are great but more pricey and I didn't see an advantage in them worth the mark up. HPS and the new HPS 5.0 will work on the street and the track until you start really pushing things, then it will be time to step up and get a dedicated set of pads and rotors for the track.

Don't get too bogged down in the decision as you will have to try a few different pads to see what you like. I used the Hawk DTC70s on my Mustang and loved the agressive bite but use Hawk DTC 60s on my Miata because there is so much less weight to slow down.

I have run a few different pad combos on my Mustang and Miata and always seem to come back to Hawk. Carbotechs are great but more pricey and I didn't see an advantage in them worth the mark up. HPS and the new HPS 5.0 will work on the street and the track until you start really pushing things, then it will be time to step up and get a dedicated set of pads and rotors for the track.

Don't get too bogged down in the decision as you will have to try a few different pads to see what you like. I used the Hawk DTC70s on my Mustang and loved the agressive bite but use Hawk DTC 60s on my Miata because there is so much less weight to slow down.

I've always ran Hawks, starting off with the HP+ when I began HPDE moving into DTC's the past 3 years. I tried a different brand of pad a year ago, PFC 01's, just to see and after the 4th weekend event of running them, went back to Hawk. They literally fell apart and began cracking and crumbling after 4 weekend events. Put the DTC's back on and all is back to normal. Won't stray again.

Just an update for those that posted,

I had my first track day and it was great.

However, while I flushed my brake fluid for DOT 4 and just left the "performance" pads from Auto Zone that were on the car, I really do wish I had changed them to true performance pads. At the end of Saturday I had glazed my pads something fierce. I ran the first session on Sunday on them but had to brake very early on all turns, but was at least able to practice lines.

I was looking for some Hawk HP+ pads but really can't find any for a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo. The only ones from Hawk I can find are just OEM replacements, but not the HP+ pads. I did find some Carbotech's and EBC's for sale.

I can get replacements of what I have from Auto Zone for about $40 for all four. Carbotech's AX line meanwhile are near $200 for the fronts and over $100 for the rears. EBC Yellowstuffs are $80 fronts and $65 rears. The car will likely see only one more track day in March and is currently for sale.

I was shocked at the price difference and the amount of people that dislike EBC. Maybe I'm just not finding the right place to shop for these?

I also will be getting the ATE top of the line fluid as my instructor suspected my brake fluid might be boiling as well.

Problems aside, thank you everyone for your advice and input. I appreciated it. My MR2 and I may see some of you at Road Atlanta for Pi day.

hybrid, send Hawk and email spelling out what you are looking for and the type of vehicle & brake system you have. They make a ton of brake pads and I bet they have what you're looking for, just under and assumed name The pads I use up front are made for a Porsche and fit my big brake kit. Once I located the correct part number from Hawk, all worked out.