Alan_Wolfe

Race Gas

Alan_Wolfe

I saw an ad for this on one of the Saturday morning car shows.

http://race-gas.com/

I never heard of this before, or have the background to evaluate it. I have heard and know of folks who blend 93 with 109 to make 100 octane, and that seems to work for them.

Something worth a try, or snake oil?

Thanks,

Alan

gobuffs

Says 8 oz treats 1 gallon. One can is 32 oz...so one can can treat 4 gallons. 4 gallons of 93 costs ~$12. $12 + $30 = $42. That's $10/gallon. Sunoco isn't even that expensive. VP is probably a bit more expensive but I'd trust true race has over an additive any day.

7VO-VOM

It says 2oz per 4 octane increase per gallon. To get to 100 octane from 93 octane, you need 3.5oz/gallon. For a 20 minute session, most cars I've driven burn 4-5 gallons. Assuming 4gal/session, that's 14oz/session. Assuming 60 mins/day across practice, qual, and race, that's 42oz. A weekend is 84oz, or almost 3 cans. With the fuel to load and unload, get to and from grid, and run a dyno, you are probably at the 3 cans. That's $104 (including shipping to my area code) per weekend extra.

Just considering the 6 sessions, at 4 gallons each, for 24 gallons, that's ~$72/ weekend. Sunoco 100 octane was around $4.75/gallon.

$4.75x24= $114

$72+104= $176

Whether it works or not, it's bad deal.

Alan_Wolfe

Thanks guys! Given that its not financially attractive, what about as a backup?

There are tracks like CotA (yes, the F1 track) that do not have race gas available, or have been known to run out of it on occasion (Hallett). I was thinking of getting a can for backup / to be able to finish the weekend.

And last time I bought race gas at MSR Cresson (Texaco) earlier this month it was about $9/gallon.

Has anybody used this stuff? I didn't see on the site any indication of how long the shelf life is.

Diller

I wouldn't make a habit of switching fuel types on a whim. Your AFRs will be affected and could put you in the danger zone depending on how your engine is tuned. Get in touch with some of your local drag racers and see where they get fuel from and bring your own to the track.

Grintch

Ummm, who is paying $12 a gallon for 93 octane? And where are you getting 100 octane for $4.75 a gallon?

When I ran the numbers it was a fair bit cheaper. But no one caried it locally, there was some doubt it did what it claimed, so I just kept mixing at the track.

ILIKETODRIVE
Ummm, who is paying $12 a gallon for 93 octane?

Probably want to re-read. He did the approximate math for 4 gallons, not 1 gallon.