Won't pass tech with stock seats and 5 point harness

s625h

I want to run HPDE-3 at Watkins Glen April 27-28 and other NASA events next season.

I have 2014 CTS-V with Simpson 5 point harnesses both sides and harness bar using stock seats. I have a 2016 CTS-V on order which comes standard with the pass through holes in both stock seats.

I don't want to spend 1K on seats for the 2014. Stock belts are no good. I run Hoosier R6 at 1.3 g.

Any options??

Options at CG lock for the stock belts, bolt-in rollbar, or hoping the better roof structure in newer vehicles is good enough. I'd take the money you'd invest in the upgrade to the 2016, and get a dedicated track car you can cage.

I want to do several HPDE events 15 season. I have 2014 CTS-V with 5 point Simpson harnesses both sides and harness bar, using STOCK SEATS.

I have been told that this WILL NOT pass tech inspection. Any wiggle room on this? I don't want to trailer the car all the way to the track and not be able to run.

Solution: I will install FIA spec OMP drivers seat with 5 holes for belts and remove pass seat. Planted Brand makes brand specific adapter plate to bolt side mount racing seat to OEM seat track. I will have to do lead and follow with instructor for HPDE.

Any other ideas or will stock seats pass tech inspection??

As an Instructor, I would MUCH rather have an OEM seat with OEM 3pt harnesses than 5pts and stock seat. In fact, I highly doubt you would find me getting into a car like that unless I really knew the driver. The OEM belts and seat are devised to allow your body to roll diagonally against the shoulder belt should the roof cave in during a rollover.

As for lead follow, that is definitely frowned upon at the lower DE levels. You need an instructor in the car. I do lead-follow for advanced drivers, but only have I have spent considerable time in the passenger seat with them.

For a definitive decision, you will need to contact the Regional Directors of in whichever region you plan to attend.

Just put the OEM 3pts back in and purchase a set of CG Locks. I ran them for years and they work. I still carry a set in my track bags for when a student has OEM seats and belts that don't hold me well enough.

I think it will pass tech (but I'm no expert) and I have seen instructors run similar set ups in their own cars (it may have been outside of NASA). I'm pretty sure I've been in at least one TT car with stock or nearly stock seats/harness bar and harnesses. I'm not saying it is a good idea and have decided against it myself after months of trying to figure out how to get harnesses in my car without a roll bar. I may eventually try a harness bar+harness+race seat but I would not fault an instructor for not getting in it.

• 2 weeks later...

For safety, it is kind of a complete package (seat, harness, rollbar/cage, NRS, etc). Personally, I would stick with the OEM stuff for now. I witnessed a CTS-V last year at Summit Point roll over and the guy walked away.