Corvette rule clarification

rbbugbitme

C5/C6 shocks are a post mount style from the factory but a lot of guys install a clevis to use eye to eye monoball shocks. The problem with this is you reduce available stroke. I am going to begin making the mount you see below which keeps the OEM post style mount and therefore doesn't reduce available stroke while still allowing for a monoball mount. I was wondering if by installing this mount will I be forced to run in SU class instead of ST3? That seems ridiculous and possibly leaves me with no class to run in. Is there a way to get approval for something like this?

The front will require drilling out the hole in the OEM shock bracket to 1 7/8" from its current ~.865". The rule I saw is 7.3.2.a, "Other than the listed exceptions, every Production vehicle must retain its unmodified: 2) Strut/shock towers".

SU-CV-F-HG-ASSEM-014.jpg

This was kind of sketchy in the past as "relocation of suspension mounting points is permitted", but the new-for-2014 language makes it clear that such allowance is subject to the other rules (see 7.3.2©(2)). Still worth confirming. There are other shock mounting options available too.

I am about to send an email to my regional director but I was looking at the rules again and I think I got this wrong. I wouldn't be in the SU class. I would take a -0.7 hit as a non-production vehicle and still be in ST3 I think but would require an external kill switch as per 7.2?

I was wondering if by installing this mount will I be forced to run in SU class instead of ST3? That seems ridiculous and possibly leaves me with no class to run in.

If it is deemed to be not allowed for ST1/2/3 you will have a class to run in (ST3)...just not with this setup.

I know this is going to come across as jerk-ish but build within the limit of the rules instead of build something but if it's not allowed then I'm left without a class to run in.

there are some mild allowances to tweak the shock towers in PT to permit installation of camber plates and/or alternate shocks, surprised ST cracks down on this harder. I'd ask for an official clarification, email Greg some pictures of the stock setup and what you plan to change to.

there are some mild allowances to tweak the shock towers in PT to permit installation of camber plates and/or alternate shocks, surprised ST cracks down on this harder. I'd ask for an official clarification, email Greg some pictures of the stock setup and what you plan to change to.

Man this post approval nonsense is getting annoying. This response will be delayed a few days but I have an email out to my regional and the national director. The regional director got back to me already stating exactly what you are saying about the strut tower mods so in his opinion my mod would be allowed. Just waiting to hear from Greg.

ILIKETODRIVE, obviously that will be my final step but I like to make my own parts and sell some of them as well. If I can make the first spherical bearing0 post mount for Corvettes in the world and its deemed legal I'll be pretty happy. I wasn't too thrilled with the delrin designs out there.

Mine is a bit different. I guess with that you have to drill 6 thru holes as opposed to opening up the main hole. Who makes those?

That seems ridiculous

Man this post approval nonsense is getting annoying.

Are you sure you want to be here? Every forum, just about, has an "approval" process for new members for their first few posts. Most everyone has some rule that they think is "ridiculous". Just the way it is. Question: are you here for racing/TT/driving info or to clarify how you should market your latest product? I'm not against either but you may be welcomed a bit better if you leave the trash talk out. Maybe I'm wrong..

I just got off the phone with Angelo at Anze. I can't believe I didn't know he made those, I'm a Penske Shocks engineer so I work with the guy. He said they were designed for non-coilover and use 1/2" monoballs so I wouldn't put them on my car.

The reason Greg said my design is illegal is because you can modify your upper mount but the reason has to be specifically for additional camber adjustment. Since Corvettes don't adjust camber at the upper mount, according to the letter of the law, it is illegal.

And with the elimination of PTA/TTA, I am not sure you would have a market for the product anyway. Most of us go coilover or nothing when looking at ST3 and above.

I'm avoiding delrin if I can. I redesigned the mount a bit and should be legal in SCCA SSM which is good enough for me. That with track days and I'll be happy.

I have a very similar copy of theirs modeled but I'm still pursuing the monoball first for my car.

No reason why you couldn't make them the same way out of something other than delrin and not have to modify the upper mounts.