• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balroks

• Grintch

• Mrsideways

• brkntrxn

• National Staff
how do you define "usable power band?" So we will be taking, for example, hp@4000rpm + hp@8000 / 2 to get the avg hp?

No. Patience--working out the proposed wording of the rules now. I'll post them, but they are subject to revision until the official version is posted on or before December 1st.

• National Staff

Amir, you are correct. Once a driver reaches either his/her own driving limits, or the car reaches it limits of grip and traction, more power has significantly diminishing returns--there are limited straight sections of track, and spinning tires without grip don't make the car go faster. But, until those limits are reached, more power under the curve (even a little) can mean significantly better lap times.

• 7 months later...

I think the ratio should be 7.5 for ST2. Being able to run a car in ST3 and ST2 should not be a goal of the rules and class separation should be clear. Fact is without splitters and wings it is just about impossible to podium in ST2 so we all have them. A lot of us would just pull added weight out of the car. We have enough power so carrying around 250 pounds of ballast seems ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Running Elan NP01

In stock spec configuration NP01 just fit in ST2 at 8:1

Going to 7.5:1 would require going out of spec.

Keeping the engine sealed means removing weight is the only option.

Not easy or cheap. Would require work to go from ST2 back and forth to NP01 spec.

I'd do it if there is a rules change, but I'm OK as it is.

I'm not going to do the math here, but lap times are proportional to the square roof of the weight to power ratio.

Reduced by the time not at full throttle.

Lower powered cars are on the throttle more of the time. High powered cars are limited by wheel spin and higher speed aero drag more.

So to separate classes by equal amount of time make the differences proportional to a ratio. Declining as the weight to power increases.

Suggested Weight to Power for ST1-4 (all other adjustments being equal.....)

ST---W/P----%DIFF----SQRT%DIFF

1------5.5

2------7.5------1.364------1.168

3------10------1.333------1.155

4------13------1.300------1.140

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this for updates. Anyone know yet if ST2 and ST1 are going to average formula for next year? My car was taken out at WGI and I'm starting the rebuild now, so now would be the time to consider adding power if indeed power needs to be added.

Edit: Oh - just saw Greg's post in the ST4 thread that he's 99% sure ST2 will be 8.0:1 average power next year. I guess I'll go off of that then!

• National Staff
I'm bumping this for updates. Anyone know yet if ST2 and ST1 are going to average formula for next year? My car was taken out at WGI and I'm starting the rebuild now, so now would be the time to consider adding power if indeed power needs to be added.

Edit: Oh - just saw Greg's post in the ST4 thread that he's 99% sure ST2 will be 8.0:1 average power next year. I guess I'll go off of that then!

ST1 and ST2 would both be using the Avg HP in '17. ST1 is proposed at 6.0:1, and ST2 at 8.0:1 (so, slightly more power than '16 because of the Avg HP use).