swankyjosh

classing a 91 miata with a 1.8 swap

swankyjosh

Looking to get an official class on my car to make sure im 100% right

I have a 1991 Mazda miata

It has a 1.8 swap engine and a 1.8 differential. So do i just start my car off as a 94-97 miata. Or am i 91 miata with a engine swap.

Going to run a 225 Hoosier r6 so that should be +10 points for the r6

no longer have a air box and running a cone filer so i believe thats +1

has a replaced exhaust but still has a muffler so not sure if thats a +2 on the exhaust

removed cat so thats +1

lsd so thats +3

i have kyb adjustable shocks so thats +3 i think

non stock springs so thats +2

removed rear sway bar so thats +2

so total thats 24 points i think.

Thanks for the help

ILIKETODRIVE

1 - You are a 1991 Miata with an engine swap. Therefore you need to submit information for a dyno reclass. You need to head to an approved dyno and follow the dyno reclass precedures and declare two of these: Maximum wheel horsepower, minimum weight, desired class.

(Examples - I make 125whp and weigh 2300lbs, what is my new base class? Or - I make 125whp and would like a NXE base class, what is my minimum weight? Or - I weigh 2300lbs and would like a NXE base class, what is my maximum wheel horsepower?)

2 - The 2015 rules are not out yet. However, you can browse the 2015 TT Rules and see that the Hoosier R6 is now +8. That may or may not be the case for 2015 NASA-X rules but it seems logical. (Based on your new dyno reclass you may take or give points for the 225 width)

3 - With a dyno reclass you do not take points for power modifications. However, you cannot exceed your given maximum wheel horsepower number when you are assigned a dyno reclass.

4 - You still take points for suspension/drivetrain/brakes/aero/etc. So yes, +3 for added LSD and +3 for modified/swapped shocks and +2 for modified/swapped springs and +2 for modified/swapped/removed rear sway. That equals +10 plus whatever tire points end up being. If you're given a base in E (235 sized base tire) then that would be +7 for a total of +17 (assuming the R6 is +8; -1 for size). Therefore, with a NXE reclass, you would have +2 to spare to do either another mod (like brakes) or the R7 instead of the R6.

This is a lot to take in but I'm sure it's fairly accurate.

swankyjosh

Thanks for the help!

Well so happens I have a dynojet at my place of work so will have to get it checked. Wasn't sure as with a such common swap as the 1.8 for miatas if they had a class already for my car.

Will also probably have to wait until 2015 autocross classing comes out to find out 100% as well

getfast

'15 NASA-X classing was just submitted for final approval & should be on the national website's rules page this week.

But yes, any swapped-engine car needs a dyno reclass... and runs in NXR until that's been handled

N2OEQIP

I would like clarification that the nasa-tt rules dont apply to nasa-x rules?

getfast

Depends on the rule. I'll get back to you on this next week, gotta get through 3 days at Sebring first. Thanks!