NP01 Prototype Progress

ElanMark

Every tube in the chassis has a part number so if there ever is a need for repairs, you can order the tubes you need, remove those that are damaged and weld in the new ones. No fancy coping or grinding to fit. Just put it in place and weld it. This is one of several drawings identifying the part numbers.

20150527_1600551.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ElanMark

• rex.racer

• bbutler1414

• C.Plavan

We're about 3 weeks from a running car.

A few pieces of body work, rear axles, and an input shaft will be the final pieces of the puzzle, all of which have been dealt with and are on the way.

We've had several questions about cockpit ventilation so I'll try to explain the NP01 system. Basically the point where the bottom of the nose and the top of the splitter meet is a high pressure area. We're taking advantage of this pressure and using a shape in the bottom of the nose to direct air through two holes in the front of the crash box. This basically "pressurizes" the crash box.

20150601_123210.jpg

20150601_123034.jpg

The close out panel in the front of the chassis which forms the rear of the crash box also has two holes allowing the pressurized air to enter the cockpit. These holes are higher and farther apart so any incoming water or debris are separated from the air before entering the car. There will also be two flexible hoses from the close out panel holes to wherever in the cockpit you choose to mount them.

20150521_163531.jpg

Just got in a bunch of NP01 engines! Here are three of them in the engine shop starting assembly.

20150601_103211.jpg

This is what they look like in the car:

20150529_082428.jpg

We have a demister option. It's a compact blower that contains a heater, mounts above the windshield between the upper chassis tubes, and blows warm air forward on the windshield. It should be pretty effective.

Visiting the Elan facility Friday June 5th was overwhelming. The build process including the tooling and the highest degree of technology going into the NP01 is not just impressive, it is very astounding!

Thank you Mark, all of the team builders, engineers, and the entire staff for making this project not only come together, but come together with A very high degree of expertise.

Anyone that has committed or those that are considering this race car, owe themselves a visit to Elan in Braselton, Ga.

I'm considering a second order.

Hi Mar,

We've talked about a couple of options for exiting air from the cockpit but haven't decided on which one to go with yet.

While the production body parts will be gelcoated white, our test panels are straight black prepreg fiberglass. This let's us fit them then scribe the molds with trim lines which makes trimming the production panels much easier.

Here's a shot of the car as it was yesterday morning. Today we're fitting the side pod floors and a few other items.

20150610_0908281.jpg

I have to agree that them sharing this process is simply amazing. Having built a few race cars myself, this is over the top and awesome.

I told myself that I would not want a first version of a new race car, but seeing these pictures makes me rethink that. I just want to see some performance test/times before I will consider pulling the trigger. The target HP of the motor was my only concern, granted the car is extremely light.

I love building race cars, this would be way too much fun I have a feeling.

Mar, this is a $65k car! This is an entry level machine to the world of purpose built race cars. It's a spec car. Spec means spec. If you want open aero and engine regs then buy an SCCA P1/2 car for double the money. Unless you work at Élan and until the car runs you have no idea what the performance of the car will be, so why make assumptions and state them as fact? How much racing experience do you have? How much experience in a lightweight car with downforce? What are your qualifications as an aerodynamicist? How many race cars have you been involved with the design of?

Hi Brandshatch:

I agree 100%. We need to support Elan and NASA in their new endeavor.

mar

We're on the same page here!

What happened to your lengthy reply?

I had questions for you!

Come on Mar, there are more watching this public forum than you may envision. Please don't bail out because of some negative vibes you may have picked up on.

Thank you for your inputs and hope your continued interest in this endeavor continues.

I can't speak for others, but my early serial number car will be open to experiment. I have offered this to Elan in an unofficial way and hope to advance this young car in any way possible.

Let's all have a go at this and have some fun with the development. Enough cannot be said regarding Elan's efforts and expertise.

Cheers

Mar, just because you are not a purchaser doesn't mean others may not value your inputs regarding any improvements regardless of scope. When this stops being "public" then you can bail out, until then let anyone feel free to chime in and spit it out. Never has any car, race car, any kinda first issue come out and was never improved upon shortly thereafter, spec or not.

Just my opinion of course,

I still think you're missing the point of this car. This is a budget minded spec car - all the aero parts you mention will add significantly to the cost of the car. As you know until the car is run they don't know what the aero balance is so adding dive planes etc now is pointless. Being a spec series it doesn't need to have a lot of downforce. You are probably the only person I've ever heard say a lower power car should have more downforce. I would say the opposite. These cars need to be fun to watch as well as drive. In an earlier post you mentioned something like the drivers would not be able to drive at 100% with your perception of the aero grip this car will have. Any top driver will get the maximum out of a car regardless of its grip level. What is a multi level diffuser by the way? I've never heard that term used before. Care to share a lap time for Road Atlanta?

We knew up front that regardless of how well we delivered on a car that offers great value and engineering and performance for the money, it would not be for everyone. But, based on feedback from those who have been here and seen the car in person, it looks like when the car is complete and those who are seriously interested see and drive it, a majority will agree we did a good job. I honestly appreciate the questions on this forum as they've opened discussions on a number of positive design features. However, it's pretty easy to look from the outside in and judge or comment on a given design. It's another thing entirely to do a clean sheet design from the inside, based on real cost, engineering, and analysis data, plus be completely transparent while doing it and ensure it exceeds current rules requirements, all at a specific price point.

Anyway.....Here are a few pictures from the other day. It's definitely impressive on all fours!

20150619_101101.jpg

20150619_101446.jpg

20150617_145832.jpg

Folks,

The forum poster "Mar" was banned and all posts removed today. What started out as supportive posting, intelligent questions quickly turned into a "I'm smarter than Elan, NASA, and everyone else" bitching contest with no supporting evidence, i.e. identifying him or herself in a professional manner and providing factual data to back up their claims. There were specs of truth scattered throughout the recent posts but mostly irrelevant information that does not apply to NASA, Elan or the NP01.

We welcome comments and input. I myself have had many questions and comments, all made to the appropriate people with my full background in racing and preparing open wheel and sport racing cars since 1990 known. Please continue to post as before and we'll be enter for it.

Regards,

I was just wondering - what software package is being used to design the car? I just took a beginning class in Solidworks, and the drawings and cross sections like they could be from Solidworks, or maybe some other program (Creo/Pro-E or ??). When creating an assembly for the car, do the major components (engine, trans, suspension components, brake assemblies, etc.) come already made up/drawn so you just have to insert them in, or does your designer have to draw/create them from scratch? - Jim