n80

U-Haul Trailer?

n80

Going to VIR in March. Three hour trip. The friend whose trailer I usually borrow is going too so I won't have a trailer. I know I need one but just can't afford one right now.

So I'm thinking about renting a U-Haul. Their site says my car (07 350z, stock, not lowered) will fit on one with some blocks under the front wheels and boards to go under the ramps due to steep break over angle.

Anyone done this? Worth it? Risks? Other options? Any help much appreciated.

ME2z

MikeAtl from this forum has rented from Uhaul. He has a G35. You will need blocks and boards as you described. I have rented from Big Tex Trailers before for my 350z. I needed a board under the ramp but that was all. I'm not sure if you have one near your location. Or try a place that sells trailers. You may be able to rent a trailer better than Uhaul.

Good Luck. When are you coming up to Road Atlanta?

n80

Not sure when I can make it to RA. My daughter is getting married in a few months and that is sucking my track budget dry and also (apparently) involves a fair amount of time commitmment too.

Even this trip to VIR is last minute and financially ill advised.

So it will be late summer or fall at the earliest for RA. But I am going to get there one of these days.

CPRacing

PM or email me if you are interested in having us haul it there for you.

n80

Email sent.

MikeAtl

George, I have done the U Haul thing a few times.

They tow well and tie down is easy with their over the wheel straps. They are easy and plentiful to rent, but you gotta have a reservation and you may find yourself going to a location that you did not plan at the last minute..this once happened to me, but there was another location close to the one I "thought" I had a reservation at. That Seinfeld scene at the rental car counter comes to mind...

But, you really need to position the truck/trailer combo to reduce the loading angle as much as possible. I do this with a combination of a set of ramps that I made out of 2x6s (graduated at one, tho and three 2x thicknesses) to raise the back of the truck as much as possible, and then use 2x boards under the leading edge of the ramps when loading the car. The slope of the ground also matters and if you can find a shallow dip to load it can work to your advantage. It also really helps to have a spotter for loading and unloading, especially the first time. Just make sure they do not stand between the back of the truck and the car when loading.

I agree with ME2z on looking for a Big Tex or some other rental source for more of an "auto trailer" but would use a U Haul again if needed.

Good luck and PM me if you want to take the discussion offline.

Mike

n80

Good points and thanks for the help Mike. Did you need a board under the front wheels so the bumper would clear the tire-stop on the front of the trailer?

MikeAtl

Don't think so. Can't remember my car hitting in the front. IIRC, the front of the trailer has a bar that you drive over to get the car forward on the trailer. The bar anchors the tire tie downs. Tough to describe in words, but evident when you look at it. This is one of the downsides, as you cannot really position the car exactly where you want it on the trailer, so you likely wind up with too much tongue weight, but it is manageable.

Anyway, my car is probably somewhat higher than a Z. I am close to stock height, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch dropped. I cant exactly remember what the front end did, but you should have a 2X board for each front tire just in case. I can't remember the length you would need either, 18" should do. You might consider running past a U Haul place that has one, and go take a look. bring a tape measure and you can jot down the dimensions. I think it is doable, but again, look for a Big Tex (they rent) and use U Haul as a last resort.

Also, you need to expect to need the one thing you forgot...goes with the turf.

n80

Also, you need to expect to need the one thing you forgot...goes with the turf.

I usually bring everything I own and that still happens.

Some folks on the 350z site say they put them on backwards. I'm not a fan of that approach but it might actually balance the tongue weight a little better. I've looked at some pictures and I see the bar you are talking about. I also noticed that the tire stops on the front of the trailer are bolted on. I wonder if they can be removed to put the car on and then bolted back in place. The U-Haul place around the corner has one on the lot. I'll stop by and look at it tomorrow.

Unfortunately no Big Tex trailer locations near by. Golden Gate Trailers in Charlotte rent a 20" enclosed trailer but it is too big and too pricey.

n80

Forgot to mention, a friend that is going up says he can haul some of my tools and tires so I'll probably just drive up in the Z. If I wreck (again) there is always AAA.

ME2z

I'm researching the possibility of getting a trailer hitch and just pulling my tires from my 350z. It would be a lot less hassle.

n80

I have thought about this. They say the hitch kits are easy to find. They were not when I was exploring this option about a year ago. I also understand that it is crtical to install it properly to the main body of the bumper which is aluminum. Minor mods needed for plastic bumper trim.