Toyo RR tire life (wear dots)??????????????

t500hps

Not sure where to put this so here it is:

I've run my first set of RR's down near the end of their life. They have certainly lost their speed advantage but in some of our regional races I can still get by with them as long as there's rubber. The outside wear dots are almost gone after 26 heat cycles. I flipped the tires on the wheels after 14 cycles so the wear is somewhat consistent inside to outside. Flipping changed the "recommended mounting" but I have not seen any sign of tread splices or any other negative effect of running them "backwards".

So, what kind of life are you guys getting out of them?

Edit.......275/40/17. Class tire on a 3300lb race weight mustang.

Edited by Guest

I'm doing good to get 16 heat cycles out of them before they cord. Normally cross them every 4 heat cycles.

And I've had no issues putting them in the "wrong" spot on the car after they are half gone. I did get tread splices putting tires in the wrong spot on the car when the tires were new.

225/45/15s on ~ 2600 lb MINI

I plan on trying some scrubbed RR's this year, kinda get a feel for them before going new. What are your overall impressions of the tire? Currently run the Nitto NT01's.

Edited by Guest

I plan on trying some scrubbed RR's this year, kinda get a feel for them before going new. What are your overall inpressions of the tire? Currently run the Nitto NT01's.

It's the required class tire so what I like isn't relevant. Plus i have little experience with anything else. Previously we ran the RA1, it was slower, but lasted longer. Since everyone was on it, everybody was "equal".

I plan on trying some scrubbed RR's this year, kinda get a feel for them before going new. What are your overall inpressions of the tire? Currently run the Nitto NT01's.

My buddy used to run 245/17 NT01s. (and 225/15 NT01s forever) He just recently tried out 255/17 RRs and went about a second faster than he ever did on a small-ish track (1:02.984 vs 1:01.980) on back-to-back days. (His previous best on NT01s was a 1:02.744)

If that helps at all lol.

That's been my experience as well. The RRs are about a second a minute faster than the NT-01s. So for a 2 minute lap the RRs would be ~2 seconds faster. The NT-01s last about 50% longer.