Repost of "Ford Racing ABS Installation"

Marshall M.

Looking for a placement of my HCU and wondered if it must be mounted with the fittings pointed up like stock on GT500? Anyone know?

• 1 year later...

Sorry for opening old thread.

I would like to add TCS on current Ford Mustang 2005-2009 ABS module.

I can't find any wiring regarding TCS.. Can anyone help us to put diagram regarding TCS switch and wiring?

Thank you!

• 8 months later...
Amir,

From what i understand 2015 up can not operate as a stand alone system like the GT500 unit outlined in this thread.

Good to know, thanks. I'd be curious how the GT500 ABS would work in an IRS car like mine.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Apologize for reviving this ancient thread.    Just wondering about the possibility of installing a modern (circa 2005) Mustang ABS unit into an earlier non-Mustang Ford?

Vehicle in question is 1988 Merkur Scorpio.  Scorpio ABS is ancient, problematic, and expensive to repair.  Looking for a modern replacement.  I realize I must convert to Mustang booster/master cylinder when I do this.   Scorpio has inductive wheel sensors on each wheel.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, brokencase said:

Apologize for reviving this ancient thread.    Just wondering about the possibility of installing a modern (circa 2005) Mustang ABS unit into an earlier non-Mustang Ford?

Vehicle in question is 1988 Merkur Scorpio.  Scorpio ABS is ancient, problematic, and expensive to repair.  Looking for a modern replacement.  I realize I must convert to Mustang booster/master cylinder when I do this.   Scorpio has inductive wheel sensors on each wheel.

My experience is with the GT500 unit. You don't have to use a Mustang booster/master cylinder. I have a hybrid hydroboost with a Baer master cylinder. John who posted above with the Cobra has a Wilwood dual master set up.

The GT500 unit uses active wheel sensors, not inductive.

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2016 at 8:55 AM, johngeorge said:

Got FFR#48 on the road finally and ABS works!! I ended up upgrading the rear end to new FFR 2015 IRS which is based on the 2015+ mustang spindles/pumpkin including the 2015+ ABS sensors. Good to know that it actually works with the BOSS302 ABS module.

I have not tried it on track yet, first outing is April 15-17 @ NJMP. So far its not intrusive at all, only at extreme pressures it actually activates, and its fast, very fast pulsing.

Had to upgrade the lines from master to HCU to 1/4" size as the 3/16" size lines I was using before were leaking at the fitting (HCU is made for 1/4" line, found metric fitting that I drilled out to fit over 1/4" pipe)

Here is the final parts list I used for FR500S ABS (pics of install)

2007-2009 Ford Mustang GT500 ABS module (HCU – ebay has item, connector on back not on side, do not buy newer year model) $200

FR500S abs module M-2353-A (not sure if needed, calibrated for slicks, will try it in April 2016) $293.25

ABS Connector $51.24 Motorcraft WPT1356 Wire Assembly(relocated wire 10 to 6 and removed wires 20, 24, 34 & 39 that are not required

Tube nut fitting – 2 of 10M x 1.0 bubble flare to 3/16 line BLF-39C-5 (5 pack)

Tube nut fittings – 2 of 12M x 1.0 bubble flare to 3/16 line BLF-48C-5 (5 pack)

Tube nut fittings – 2 of 12M x 1.0 bubble flare to 1/4 (6mm) line BLF-46C-5 (5 pack)

Quantity =2 Adapter female 7/16 -24 inverted to male 3/8-24 inverted BLF-23C

Quantity =2 7/16-24 inverted flare nut for 1/4″ tube BLF-13C-5 (5pack)

3/16 brake line 25ft – AGS Poly Armour Brake Line PAC-325

1/4 brake line 25ft – AGS Poly Armour Brake Line PAC-425

Front wheel sensors (2 of them, $34.79 each) BRAB291

Front sensor mounts for FFR spindles – $45 made by Russ Thompson

{Rear wheel sensors (for 8.8 solid SN95 axles – 2 of them, $32.79 each) BRAN290} didnt use due to IRS install...

Wheel rear sensors (2015 IRS, 2 of them,$11.85) BRAB406

As for brake calipers, using Wilwood 6piston all around (4.04 area, 1.62/1.12/1.12), and using 7/8" wilwood master cylinders (2 of them) along with the balance bar to set bias.

building off this spec - what wiring was utilized for getting FFR#48 up and going if you can remember?  was a relay implemented for the brake switch power?

I believe this is a standalone setup, so the Coyote Control Pack doesn't need to talk with the HCU correct?

building off this spec - what wiring was utilzed for getting FFR#48 up and going if you can remember?

Edited by toadster

18 minutes ago, toadster said:

building off this spec - what wiring was utilized for getting FFR#48 up and going if you can remember?  was a relay implemented for the brake switch power?

I believe this is a standalone setup, so the Coyote Control Pack doesn't need to talk with the HCU correct?

building off this spec - what wiring was utilzed for getting FFR#48 up and going if you can remember?

I use a switch on my brake pedal that has both a normally open and normally closed connection. So the normally closed feeds the 12v to the ABS when the brake pedal is released and the normally open to turn on the brake lights when the pedal is depressed.

33 minutes ago, tcgrmt said:

I use a switch on my brake pedal that has both a normally open and normally closed connection. So the normally closed feeds the 12v to the ABS when the brake pedal is released and the normally open to turn on the brake lights when the pedal is depressed.

ok perfect, I have a similar brake switch... is your power feed start/key-on power?

another query, I have purchased an Autel MaxiAP AP200C OBD2 Scanner, ABS Bleed, Wireless ABS SRS Diagnostic Tool which will use the OBD2 port to talk with the HCU - I'm assuming this will work to ABS bleed the unit?

Edited by toadster

Edit: The power wire to the brake switch is always hot.

For the OBD port to work you need a 120 ohm resistor wired between the can hi and can lo to simulate the end of the buss as the dash cluster does.

Edited by tcgrmt

38 minutes ago, tcgrmt said:

Edit: The power wire to the brake switch is always hot.

For the OBD port to work you need a 120 ohm resistor wired between the can hi and can lo to simulate the end of the buss as the dash cluster does.

Thanks!  assuming that since I don't have a Mustang would I have to run the HS-CAN +/- wires back to the OBD2 port? 

my OBD2 is from the Gen3 Coyote Controls Pack - what's connected (below) in pic

image.png.4b87c528860f43082fae61d8a421e8c8.png

• 4 weeks later...

Should be able to power it up and on the scanner see each wheel spin. I had mine jacked up and checked each wheel to make sure I was reading the correct wheel and direction of rotation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 3:25 AM, tcgrmt said:

Should be able to power it up and on the scanner see each wheel spin. I had mine jacked up and checked each wheel to make sure I was reading the correct wheel and direction of rotation.

finally got this wired up, the Autel doesn't seem to want to communicate with the HCU - cannot find the vehicle, I think it's expecting a VIN#?