Best class for tall driver?

EricJ17

Hello! So I'm looking for a new car that I would ultimately like to road race. My goal is to buy something cheap, autocross it (I have experience), go to HPDE and then build it to road race. My main concern is cost. Spec Miata is probably the best choice, as it is for most people, but I'm quite tall (6'3") and after doing research it looks like I might not fit in the car. Even if I could fit in a spec Miata, I would probably be too tall to be legal in Solo, unless I cage the car. So I'm wondering what the most economical (rwd) car would be to ultimately road race. I really like light cars, but I understand I can't necessarily have it all. Reliability isn't a major concern. I live really close to my local autocross venue and I have a very reliable DD. Thanks for any advice!

In before someone mentions that you'll easily fit in any 3-series BMW from 1987 to present

E30 chassis 325i/is can be a Spec E30

E36 chassis 325i/is can be a Spec3

E46 chassis 330i can be a Spec E46

Running driving cars to start with for all above are typically $1500-$4500. And all are wonderful autocross & HPDE cars in the meantime.

Hope it helps!

What region might you be in? You'll want to find a class where there is competition instead of running around by yourself. I'm in mid-Atlantic, 6'1" and about 220lbs.......fit in a CMC mustang without issue. SN95 mustangs are cheap!!

try and also see what's popular in your region - there are quite a few non SM spec or semi-spec (like CMC) classes that have good car choices for tall drivers.

• 6 months later...
What region might you be in? You'll want to find a class where there is competition instead of running around by yourself. I'm in mid-Atlantic, 6'1" and about 220lbs.......fit in a CMC mustang without issue. SN95 mustangs are cheap!!

Beat me to it..SN95's are great...with any seats besides the stockers. They get claustrophobic with the OEM leather la-z-boy seats in them, with with some good buckets and low brackets they're lovely

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 6'4" and long waisted. I fit comfortably in my 350Z but just barely. It is not light. It is not particularly fast by today's standards and the Spec Z class does not seem to be catching on. So a Z might not be your best choice.

However, I have toyed with the idea of going the WTW route and Thunder Roadsters are popular in the SE region. I was at an event in October and there was a fairly tall guy with a TR there........I've forgotten his name, it was at CMP in SC. Anyway, he was kind enough to let me get in it and I fit pretty well. I could have used a tiny bit more leg room and he indicated that his seat would probably go lower and a little further back. So at 6'3" you'd probably fit in a TR. They are cheap, light and reasonably fast.

• 1 month later...
Hello! So I'm looking for a new car that I would ultimately like to road race. My goal is to buy something cheap, autocross it (I have experience), go to HPDE and then build it to road race. My main concern is cost. Spec Miata is probably the best choice, as it is for most people, but I'm quite tall (6'3") and after doing research it looks like I might not fit in the car. Even if I could fit in a spec Miata, I would probably be too tall to be legal in Solo, unless I cage the car. So I'm wondering what the most economical (rwd) car would be to ultimately road race. I really like light cars, but I understand I can't necessarily have it all. Reliability isn't a major concern. I live really close to my local autocross venue and I have a very reliable DD. Thanks for any advice!

What region / area are you from?

Go to some events in your region before choosing a race class. Go talk to as many racers as you can from the various race classes, and ask questions.

Fitting in the car is important , but racing/hanging out with the group of racers that you are comfortable with, is just as important.

I hear the CMC guys are pretty cool

Drive what you like for now (HPDE, Autocross), then when you're ready to go wheel to wheel, look for something already built. Building a car is fun, but much more expensive than buying one already built. I have a friend who just HAD to build his own car, and ended up selling it for 60 cents on the dollar spent, and he was ecstatic about it.

FWIW, I race a PTE Honda Accord, and at 6'1", with the seat bolted to the floor I couldn't see over the dash. More than enough headroom in that car.

• 1 year later...