EricJ17

Moving to Austin, what track can I get to easily?

EricJ17

Hey guys. I'm moving to Austin in May and I'm also trying to get on a road course for my first time. Does anybody know what the closest/cheapest track I can get on to turn some laps might be? I would have to drive my car there and back because I don't have a trailer or tow vehicle. Thanks in advance!

JohnJoe1011

First Welcome to Austin, Tx a great fun city if you like music this the city to be.

As far as tracks ok, Circuit of the Americas aka COTA not cheap but is the best track. Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos about 1 hour from Austin. TWS in College Station but this one is closing in mid June. If you get here before that you may get some track time with TWS PDS or LSRPCA. Southeast of Austin heading to Houston in Angleton, Tx we have MSRH.

North of Austin we have MSR-C in Cresson a bit south of FortWorth. Then far north we have ECR = Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, Tx a good 3 + hours for you. We also have TMS Texas Motor Speedway the NASCAR track i believe there is a infield course.

Then we have NOLA in New Orleans and Hallet in Oklahoma.

EricJ17

Awesome, thanks!! I'll probably try to get out on Harris Hill. Looks like it'll only be 35 minutes away and the school is reasonable priced!

JohnJoe1011

So looks like you are also looking for a school. Well the HPDE program from NASA is the best in the country, LOL. We have excellent experienced instructors. You can find more information here, https://www.nasaproracing.com/.

Good luck!

EricJ17

Yeah, I'd much rather do HPDE because I plan on getting my NASA license asap, but it looks like there isn't anything even remotely close to Austin unfortunately.

loftygoals
Yeah, I'd much rather do HPDE because I plan on getting my NASA license asap, but it looks like there isn't anything even remotely close to Austin unfortunately.

I'm not sure I completely follow your reply, but if you are saying you would like to get a NASA racing license as soon as possible, here's the deal:

You only need a competition license to compete in actual races. Racing requires safety gear (rollcage, nets, harnesses, etc) and any stipulations for one of the many classes you can choose to compete in. There is no need to be in a hurry to get into a full race car, though. HPDE only requires a car that passes a tech inspection and an approved helmet. HPDE provides lots of instruction to help you build those skills. As you progress through the levels of HPDE, you can apply for a Time Trials license. This will let you compete against the clock with other drivers using your street car. Many drivers competing in Time Trials drive their cars to the track and avoid the expense don't have trailers and tow vehicles. When you are ready to go to the full competition licensing school, NASA TX offers them almost every weekend they have an event.

Welcome to Texas and see you at the track!

-bj

EricJ17

Sorry, my post didn't make much sense! My point was that you have to work your way up through each HPDE level to earn your NASA license, correct? Since I plan on doing that anyway, I'd like to make the most out of my money and do the HPDE right off the bat to get started on working towards a license, but since I won't be there before TWS closes it looks like I might be out of luck on any nearby HPDE events.

tom_hampton

On the other hand. If you plan on racing with NASA, you might as well get used to towing to distant tracks and the routine that is a full weekend. Besides, the NASA Texas group is awesome. Most fun with your clothes on.

JohnJoe1011

AH! I didn't know about that school they also have a karting league and karting on Sunday. This is going to be my place to run some Sunday karting during the summer.

Maybe get a kart and join the league.

Thanks for sharing this link.

kbrew8991

when you're there all weekend it's no big deal to travel a few hours for an event - get out, see the world...errr... state!

suck fumes

Driveway Austin IN AUSTIN.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com

And we are nasa certified. So you can get your license through us. HPDE takes forever to go through. We have pro drivers as instructors as well.

EricJ17

I see the pricing on your website, but what exactly do I have to do through Driveway to get my NASA license? Also, thanks for the response!

suck fumes

You take three classes and come do a few practice sessions in between then we evaluate you and make sure you're ready then we get you a NASA license.

Start with L1 class as the intro (your car)

Then L2/3 which is the advanced course (your car)

Then L4 which is racecraft in our spec miatas. (Or your car if its race prepped)

You can even do L1 and L2/3 in the same weekend if its offered.

We recommend doing practice sessions in between classes to get more comfortable and to develop good habits though. We always have an instructor during all practice times to help you and ride with you if you need it. After taking all classes we will do a final "test" to make sure you are ready then your good to go.

If you need cage prep and or racecar work done. Call Jason Massey at Illicit Motorsports. 512-940-5359. He's in dripping springs, tx. 25min south west of Austin. He is the best there is and has built many cars for me (including my 2013 CMC national champion car and 2014 Spec Iron runner up nationals car) and other Texas racers. Tell him Aaron sent you.

modernbeat
Driveway Austin IN AUSTIN.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com

And we are nasa certified. So you can get your license through us. HPDE takes forever to go through. We have pro drivers as instructors as well.

Are there any competitions at the Driveway? I thought it was a school/practice/member track only. No time trials or W2W competition.

suck fumes

It's not a "race track" it's only for schools and practice and the occasional auto cross event. We always have a ton of private events as well. There is no W2W racing though. However the track is very well built and very smooth and grippy unlike the baja course in San marcos AKA Harris Hill.

We also have 12 sprint karts that we let the public use on Sundays from 12-5. They are not your park and pizza type either. They run 53mph (radar gun verified) and have the standard body work that a real sprint kart would have.

Fair
Sorry, my post didn't make much sense! My point was that you have to work your way up through each HPDE level to earn your NASA license, correct? Since I plan on doing that anyway, I'd like to make the most out of my money and do the HPDE right off the bat to get started on working towards a license, but since I won't be there before TWS closes it looks like I might be out of luck on any nearby HPDE events.

Eric,

Come have fun with NASA and don't worry about licenses and such. HPDE 1 through HPDE 4 is quite a journey in and of itself. If you make it past HPDE 3 you can ask for a check ride and come join us in Time Trial. The TT license is $10 a year and we have a LOT of fun.

DSC_6134-M.jpg

I wrote this back in 2008, but its still accurate and shows what it takes to do TT: http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_timetrials.php

DSC_2474-M.jpg

You don't need any extra safety gear in TT beyond what is required in HPDE - seat belt and a helmet - but many TT racers elect to go beyond that. TT has a wide variety of cars, prep levels, and many are street driven to and from the event (probably half the field are dedicated race cars, the other half is not).

B61G9087-M.jpg

Wheel to Wheel racing has a whole school / class / rookie deal, and you need a car that fits within a NASA W2W class with ALL of the safety gear. And risks. And lower contingencies than TT in most cases.

But for now, don't worry about all of that - enter in HPDE and have fun with NASA. The best part is that, unlike just a "driving event" group, NASA has HPDE + TT + W2W all running the same weekend, in different run groups. So you can see all levels of racing the same day, which is great.

+ MSR Houston - September 26th & 27th - HPDE, TT, Comp School, and Racing. We'll be running CCW this event!

+ Texas World Speedway - OCTOBER 16th, 17th, & 18th - HPDE, TT, Racing running CW.

There's still two more HPDE events you can enter in 2015, thanks to the newly added dates to the NASA Texas schedule. You can sign up here.

Cheers,

JohnJoe1011

EricJ,

In addition to what Terry says about our Texas NASA HPDE and TT there are other clubs out there that have DE = Driving Event from Novice or Green level to Advance or White level. You can also check TWS Schedule look for PDS.

But come to our NASA Event in Sept 25-27 at MSR H and in October at TWS.

Take advantage to drive or race at the iconic TWS race track in College Station while is still open.

John