New Clutch Decision

Angry Banana Racing

Greetings Everyone! I'm Jeff and i have just started racing as of this past weekend. Completed the Comp school and two races. I have a 98 Cobra setup for AI. I may be replacing the clutch next month and was looking for recommendations on what clutch to get. The car weighs 3150 with driver, makes 318hp and 313tq to the ground and see's almost 7k shifts. Motor is the 4.6 4v. The car currently has a stage 2 or 3 Mcleod (bought the car used) and i'm leaning towards the Centerforce DFX (6 paddle) and the ACT Xtreme clutch kit (6 paddle, race). Trans is a 26 spline TKO 600rr and the clutch is still cable operated. Replacing the clutch cable due to cracks in sleeve.

Btw, is anyone else running a TKO 600rr and do you have any problems with it?

I have a 96 Cobra and ran the 4.6L 4V for about 9 years in AI. I recently switched to Coyote for extra torque and reliability. I have been running the Quarter Master 8.5 Extreme V for many years with success. Never raced with anything else. IIRC, It is not in their catalog but they still sell it. All I had to do was switch the disc when I switched from T45 to T56 Magnum. When I switched to Coyote, I made no changes at all. I just bolted the same flywheel and clutch to the new engine.

Stick with the Ford cable, if possible. No one makes a better one. I get my clutch stuff from Maximum Motorsports (quadrant, firewall adjuster, cable, etc). I run the same clutch accessories on my street 98 Cobra and my AI car. Stock engine, trans, clutch in the street car, as of now.

I know there are a bunch of good clutches out there but I have no issues with mine. It has been great!

Welcome to the group, look forward to meeting you.

TKO600 RR here. Quartermaster 7.25 Pro Series triple disc clutch, with Quarter Master steel flex plate, Ford cable, and I think MM quadrant and firewall adjuster. I didn't build the car, but they appear to be MM equipment. Only had 1 time out in the car, but so far so good. A little difficult to get used to, but it revs very quickly.

From what i understand you cant feather button clutches. And i wouldn't be able to get my car on the lift or in/out of the trailer w/o being able to feather it. But i do thank you for the feedback. Anybody run a clutch besides quartermaster?

-goindeafonmtx, do you have any trouble grinding gears? especially on downshifts?

So it can be feathered? I also have to reverse the car onto the 4 post lift and prevent the tires from slipping is tricky. coated the ramps with herculiner which was worlds better. Is anyone in NJ have a quartermaster clutch on their car? i would like to see it in action. It sounds like overkill for 318 hp but the weight savings would be nice.

-which spec clutch are you using?

also, my main concern is finding a clutch that has a break-in procedure that's racing friendly such as the ACT 6 puck. It says to do some hard slips, let it cool and it's good to go. Since it's no longer a street car, a 500 mile break-in is not happening. I imagine the quartermaster has a similar break-in procedure. Also, not looking to spend 600+ on a clutch.