I have some track day/racing experience, HPDE 1?

kilroy

I'd like to get my NASA license and compete in AI eventually.

I've done a dozen or so track days and 3 crapcan races. Nothing spectacular and nothing with NASA.

I've signed up for the Autoclub speedway event in may. I understand that at HPDE 1 you have an instructor onboard for half a day, and the same for HPDE 2? If that's true, then there is an advantage to that obviously.

How formal is the advancement process? Can my instructor also give me a check ride, and bump me up same day? Start Sunday at HPDE 2 and check ride for 3 that same day as well?

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to get my NASA license and compete in AI eventually.

I've done a dozen or so track days and 3 crapcan races. Nothing spectacular and nothing with NASA.

I've signed up for the Autoclub speedway event in may. I understand that at HPDE 1 you have an instructor onboard for half a day, and the same for HPDE 2? If that's true, then there is an advantage to that obviously.

How formal is the advancement process? Can my instructor also give me a check ride, and bump me up same day? Start Sunday at HPDE 2 and check ride for 3 that same day as well?

Why the hurry to move up? You get so much more with instruction in HPDE1 and at the end of the day most the guys in 1 are going as fast or faster then the guys in 2.

I understand wanting to race as quickly as possible. But learning to drive and handling a car, as well as knowing when things are not right and pulling off in the best areas are far more important then just driving fast.

If you are already good at all those things. Your instructors will let you know. But most, not all, guys that come in wanting to push through. Need to slow down to go faster.

Another thing to consider is the expense. After talking to some AI drivers and teams for the past few years, I've come to the conclusion, it'll take some deep pockets to run and compete in AI. Many of the drivers have massive sponsors to help flip the cost, not only to build and/or prep a car to be competitive, but also to fix and repair (things break and it gets wild and crazy in AI). Its definately a class you have to walk into with both eyes open and to expect the unexpected.

Well, the only experience I have had is with track day companies and I was concerned about sitting behind frankly clueless drivers waiting for a point by. I think I've earned my stripes in that regard, and didn't want to sit in traffic all weekend. I wasn't aware of the NASA HPDE passing rules in HPDE 1-2. I wish I was. They make way more sense. Open passing in the straights as long as you can complete the pass safely before the end of the straight. At Cal Speedway there were 3 HUGE passing zones and I was able to choose the pace I wanted to drive at. I don't think I was passed all weekend in HPDE 1-2 with a few exceptions where I was following an instructor car or whatever. The point is that I was able to have fun and go fast with no aggravation cause by the elevation between skill level and car prep in the beginner levels.

I spent all day Saturday in HPDE1, taking advantage of the in car instruction. I learned quite a bit, and since I had about 30% more hp than I was used to so I defiantly needed some help figuring out where the line was at this event (NASA set it up a little different in a few areas), and what to do with the extra power and so on. At the end of Saturday I got my pass book signed for 2, and on the first session of Sunday I got a check ride for 3, and was approved, by both the on-track instructor car and my in-car instructor. I was impressed with that. Two people looked at my driving and said I was good to move up. Compare that with a track day company, who only moves you up if your lap times are good.

Looking back, I could have stayed in HPDE 1 forever and had the instructor in car every session and gotten faster and faster, to a point. There is no passing in the corners in HPDE1, and in 3 that rule is slightly different.

As far as AI, yea its expensive. but I've had AI on the brain since I found out about it when I was 19. 12 years ago. But I wasn't aware of any options as far as competitive driving events until I ran with NASA. I'm going to take a good look at TT. That looks like fun!

Anyway, overall I was very impressed with the entire NASA experience, the safety attitude was evident in the in class instruction and the organization of the event. I'll attend more for sure.

Glad you had fun.

They must have different rules in different regions.

In SE, 1 and 2 can only pass on certain parts of the track (straights), AND must have a point-by.

3 and 4 can pass anywhere, but must have a point-by, unless the car has a yellow "4" on the rear bumper. Then you don't need a point-by to pass.

I was in the black fox body mustang, the coupe not the hatch back. Car #369. there was a guy in The same garage with a black fox body mustang, but his was painted. I'm rocking the same 27 year old paint.

I was in the black fox body mustang, the coupe not the hatch back. Car #369. there was a guy in The same garage with a black fox body mustang, but his was painted. I'm rocking the same 27 year old paint.

Did you have Derrin as an instructor.

Yes...? A guy named Dan rode with me for my 2-3 check ride. Is there a reason you ask? What am I missing?
You're not missing a thing. Just trying to figure out what car you were in. I was the guy pitting next to Derrin with the gray 05 GT. You have a very nice and fast car.

Thanks man! I appreciate that! I remember your car, you had the carbon fiber hood? nice!

Thank you. Look forward to seeing you at the next event.