Major gut to get all TT cars down to min weight?

wm577

To get my car down to min. weight (3450lbs) I would have to do a complete interior gut, and also remove the AC / Heat, EVAP systems. Car's current weight is 3600 with drive (driver is only 165lbs) and 1/4 full tank of fuel (no rear seats, seat belts, rear speakers). That's still 150lbs over. Is this normal for all TT cars or is the 2005-2006 mustang GT's just on of the "lucky" ones? If this is the case for all TT cars should we not make the min weights higher so that they can be achieved without drastic measures?

It really depends on the build. With my power level in TTC, I had to add weight to a full interior car with A/C.

-bj

I mean for OEM cars that show up with just race tires and race brake pads, and removed spare tire, jack, ect.... will they always be 150+ lbs over weight?

I think that Greg uses the manufacturer's listed weight for the minimum weight, so you will be over by at least the driver's weight.

I was going to get a dyno reclass for my '06 Mustang with the stock HP and run heavy so that I could stay in TTD and have a few points for springs/struts/shocks:

"Your '06 Ford Mustang GT with a maximum 265 rwhp on a Dynojet, and a Minimum Competition Weight (w/driver) of 3580 lbs, will have a new PT/TT base class of PTD*/TTD* (seven points). "

depends on the car - one I had to pull a few things to approach min weight (but not a "major gut" as you say), the other I have to watch my fuel level to make sure it stays over. YMMV.

If you don't want to gut the car, ask for a hp/weight reclass at the higher weight you want to run at and reap the benifits of more allowed power possibly, or a lower base class possibly, or maybe some combo of both if you're really far over.

if you're severely over the min weight, a dyno reclass may be advantageous, especially if you're also quite high on the calculated power to weight ratio.

Is it really that hard?

Change from stock wheels to lightweight wheels... 20-50 pounds

Change from stock tires to Hoosiers... 20-30 pounds

Remove spare tire, jack, etc.... 30 to 40 pounds

Run less than a full tank... 30 to 70 pounds

Lightweight battery... 10-20 pounds

After that you can remove a seat... 30 to 80 pounds

I had a Lotus Elise that I was able to get to the minimum weight (1984 pounds) with me in it (170 pounds)

Wheels and tires saved 50 pounds

Spare tire inflator saved 1 pound

Running 9 gallons from a full tank saved 54 pounds

Lightweight battery saved 10 pounds

Passenger seat and belts saved 25 pounds

I had to go the extra step and remove the side windows and hardware and all of the carpeting/foam/plastic in the trunk to save the last 30 pounds

To get my car down to min. weight (3450lbs) I would have to do a complete interior gut, and also remove the AC / Heat, EVAP systems. Car's current weight is 3600 with drive (driver is only 165lbs) and 1/4 full tank of fuel (no rear seats, seat belts, rear speakers). That's still 150lbs over. Is this normal for all TT cars or is the 2005-2006 mustang GT's just on of the "lucky" ones? If this is the case for all TT cars should we not make the min weights higher so that they can be achieved without drastic measures?

DSC_4775-M.jpg

The early S197 Mustangs are fairly light from the factory (see above) compared to the later 2011-14 GTs with the 5.0L Coyote V8. The Coyote is not any heavier but the 6-speed is and the11-up cars have more insulation (and weigh around 3600 even). I suspect you can follow some basic changes (see post here from AZELISE) and get to the minimum weight fairly easily.

Wheels are the big one, the trunk junk matters, battery (stock is 38, Odyssey is 15), fuel load (you should be able to run with 1/4 tank until you get to BIG sizes in Hoosier level tires), back seat (32 pounds or so), and swap OEM seats for lighter FIA race seats (OEM is around 55-60 pounds each, race seats + mounts should be well under 25 each). If you have the points for exhaust the OEM headers, cats and after-cat exhaust is also very heavy, but you would probably be better off spending your limited points on TIRES and suspension.

It's a bigger issue for some cars than others. But yes, it does appear than some stripping is typically required. As an advanatge of TT is that you don't need a full on racecar, too much is needed IMHO. I would either like to see a points giveback for over weight cars similar to that availible for small tires, or higher minimum weights for TT.

It's a bigger issue for some cars than others. But yes, it does appear than some stripping is typically required. As an advanatge of TT is that you don't need a full on racecar, too much is needed IMHO. I would either like to see a points giveback for over weight cars similar to that availible for small tires, or higher minimum weights for TT.

Just ask for a reclass then.

Why bother with a rulebook then? Let's just have Greg class every car individially, which is what is effectively happening with reclasses. Those should be rare IMHO, not something a significant fraction of the field is using. I don't like unwritten rules.

I have light weight wheels, battery, removed all trunk stuff, removed rear seat belts, rear speakers, and replaced driver seat with light weight race seat, but I also added a role bar (+50lbs). so when you add the driver it's still +160ish LBS over. I think this is typical for most TT cars that are not fully gutted. I guess what you guys are saying is that most of the TT cars that are not gutted need to send in reclassification requests? I bet Greg will love that solution.

I like the give points back option myself, with maybe a max of +200 lbs added. This is basically what Greg would be doing anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Why bother with a rulebook then? Let's just have Greg class every car individially, which is what is effectively happening with reclasses. Those should be rare IMHO, not something a significant fraction of the field is using. I don't like unwritten rules.

My car has aftermarket FI and hence required a reclass. You're right, it is subjective, as I'm limited to an 11:8.1 power to weight ratio in TTB (10.5:1). It makes no sense to me. Bottom line is that a reclass will not help you with weight unless this process is changed to an objective assessment.

if your car can handle it's unlikely to be anywhere close to pwr/wt cap. Otherwise how is something that can't handle as well supposed to make up time? Most points cars can't get close to the cap either, well, at least ones that can turn anyway.

if your car can handle it's unlikely to be anywhere close to pwr/wt cap. Otherwise how is something that can't handle as well supposed to make up time? Most points cars can't get close to the cap either, well, at least ones that can turn anyway.

Yup.

TTE PTW - 16.5 / My Integra reclass - 17.2

• Members

Yup.

You just need to get a poor handling car like a 200SX SE-R

Your '96 Nissan 200SX SE-R with a maximum 151 fwhp on a Dynojet, and a Minimum Competition Weight (w/driver) of 2450 lbs, will have a new PT/TT base class of PTE/TTE. Your new base tire size is 235mm. You will not assess modification points for Section B. Weight Reduction or Section C. Engine Mods. However, all other modifications, including transmission and LSD, that are not standard items on a base trim '96 Nissan 200SX SE-R must be assessed points. You must be compliant with the above listed maximum Dynojet HP and Minimum Competition Weight during any tech. inspection.

This option may only be used with a PTE/TTE or higher Final Competition Class.

2450/151=16.22

and make sure you have new front tires for every race, because it eats them quickly.

You just need to get a poor handling car like a 200SX SE-R

2450/151=16.22

I'll take my quality handling and slightly less max whp with similar minimum weight. (psst - gear ratio +3 well worth it when you can do it)