ok i will go first (25 hour LIGHTING)

technikpodcast

So I would like to know what everyone is doing, and what kind of car its going on. I am NOT trying to get some edge on anyone, you don't have show me, (some people) I just want to know how everyone in interpreting this. Please stick to how you interpret the rule, how we feel about it is a different thread.

1) No headlight shall be mounted higher than the base of the windshield

every car has a different windshield "Base". is it where the base of the windshield sits (if you don't have a windshield can do what you want) or is it where the hood line meets the windshield.

with that said I am NOT looking for all the ways this can be taken apart, I have been doing that for weeks. And I already know how super smart everyone already is (trying to keep it light)

2) Headlight mounting is limited to the outer 12 inches of the vehicle corners. The measurement is taken from the outside edge of

the front fender

the measurement is taking from............. again ever car is different. Is it the furthest outer point of the front fender meaning over the wheel. some cars have a front clip some cars have fender flare but not actually apart of the fender.... OR is it just the front corner meaning the furthest forward corner of the front fender. if you have a clip where does that start and end and if you have 16" widebody kit (I don't know I'm just making an example) how can you mount lights

so everyone has a different cars and I really appreciate how hard the rules are to wright when you are dealing with so many different types of cars racing at the same time. I am asking so that the addition of lighting, one of the few modifications we all have to make to our car regardless of the class, gets an equal understanding of where everyone is being measured from.

I get you want the lights split across the width of the car so you wrote the rules to force people to do that. My goal in this post is to get a better and equal "box" that we all measure from, racers and NASA TECH

thanks and look forward to your concerns about how this might effect you.

2) Headlight mounting is limited to the outer 12 inches of the vehicle corners. The measurement is taken from the outside edge of the front fender

I watched last years 25hr race, and many cars had low profile LED light bars mounted in addition to their standard headlights. Many of the cars had the light bars mounted at the center of the car, either on the front bumper, or sometimes on the hood. I'm assuming that the 'outer 12 inches of the vehicle corners' just for the standard headlights, and not for extra light bars? Anyway, I attached a picture of a few of the cars below. - Jim

Acura%20ILXs%20at%20end%20of%20race.jpg

1994%20Ariizona%20E1%20Civic%20front%20view.jpg

Thanks Jim.

We currently have a very similar lighting system that works very well.

It has happened in the past where we show up to tech and we are not compliant because of interpretation of the rule. I would bet that "12 inches" for a majority of the cars means you might be mounting on the fender. so if people measure from one place and the rule states something different they will be very unhappy putting in all that effort for nothing.

I hope that NASA help with clarification on where 12" is being measured from. technically the way it is written, stock head lights, are NOT legal even they perform the intention of the rule. again if you have a front clip (fenders and hood are one mold) where is the fender start and stop by design.

either way thanks for trying to help but the new rule says we cant set our lights up this way anymore

I would try a direct call or email inquiry to whomever oversees the 25hr since the forums don't seem to be actively patrolled.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

Please allow me to give it a try.

13) Obnoxious and / or blinding lights will be subject to “adjustment” per the rules. Headlight mounting is

limited to the outer 12 inches of the vehicle corners. The measurement is taken from the outside edge of

the front fender. “Headlight” includes auxiliary forward-facing lights meant to improve visibility, including

“corner lights.” No headlight shall be mounted higher than the base of the windshield.

The way I am reading the rule is that the lights can no longer be "connected" across the hood. So both the Acura ILXs and Honda Civic examples above appear illegal per the new rule.

Trying to not over think the rule, but I guess the "edge of the fender" can be loosely identified in "front view" and "top view" of the vehicle.

Essentially, the total width of light(s) (per side, left and right) can not be wider than 12", provided they are mounted against the most outer edge of the car. (again, front and top view)

The closer you mount the light toward the center line of the car, the narrower the light needs to be. (The 12" limit from outside edge does not move)

Also, the total length of the light, can not be longer than 12", provided they are mounted against the most forward edge of the car. (Note "outer 12 inches" & "taken from the outside edge")

On top of that, the entire assembly needs to be below the horizontal plane, which intersects the base of the windshield. (which is curved in every direction)

In a nutshell, if you see anyone with any non-factory light that is wider than 12" (per side), it would be illegal.

Please let me know if you feel otherwise.

Thank you,

Lawrence

I would try a direct call or email inquiry to whomever oversees the 25hr since the forums don't seem to be actively patrolled.

I was just taking a quick look and saw the 2015 rules posted at http://nasa25hour.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/25hour_sups2015-1-2.pdf and it looks like the additions/changes are in red, with section 13 having the info about the headlights. Section 42-44 had requirements to have a 'JAWS' system which seems new.

PS - Section 38 has:

No “Rookies” are not allowed to drive in this event, except during the daylight hours. A “Rookie” is a

driver with less than eight (8) road races. Road races with other sanctioning bodies count. Time Trials,

open track, lapping days, HPDE, instructor licenses, etc., do not count.

It looks like the above is a typo, and should read “Rookies” are not allowed to drive in this event, except during the daylight hours. instead of saying No Rookies...

I went ahead, and used the contact link at http://nasa25hour.com/ and it looks like we'll get a response back fairly soon. - Jim

I confirmed the rule with the man himself. Other then factory headlights, no lights shall be further then 12" from the outside edge of the car. He assured me it will be enforced. I recommend not showing up with anything but, it would suck to miss the big show over your lights.

I confirmed the rule with the man himself. Other then factory headlights, no lights shall be further then 12" from the outside edge of the car. He assured me it will be enforced. I recommend not showing up with anything but, it would suck to miss the big show over your lights.

Yep. When I used the contact link, I got a message back from Scott Smith saying that he had forwarded the question/comment to Jerry Kunzman. Jerry wrote back 'There’s a new supp going up to cover those with OEM lights. I expect many teams will have to remove lights. That’s the point.'. Jerry also wrote that if people have questions, they can e-mail him.

They corrected the wording in section 38 about Rookies not being allowed to in the evening hours, and it looks like they also added some more info about the RaceSpotter system with the new supplementary rules being at http://nasa25hour.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/25hour_sups2015-1-3.pdf. The new rules also have some additional info about OEM lights in section 13. - Jim