CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge)

dbrad

Many of you are aware the Thunder races have been without cars from the CMC class. While I've been told it is a dead class and maybe to consider Spec Iron, I have a CMC car and plan to run with it. So with that said, figure I'll make an effort to revive the class. There have been 3 really nice recent listings on the CMC website. All three cars are easily nicer than my CMC Foxbody Mustang. Each under $10K (track ready) and there are both Mustangs and Camaros for those hell bent (I meant predisposed) towards the Blue Oval or Bowtie crowds.

Even if you are not currently looking to race or time trial, these cars would make great, inexpensive (well relatively) HPDE cars. Plus parts are plentiful.

Aside from HPDE, think all three would fit nicely into the TTD or TTC time trial groups. Our neighboring region (Mid Atlantic) has 7 to 8 regular CMC cars for their respective events. Great opportunity to add VIR to our rotation of SE tracks.

No one from NASA, NASA SE, NASA MA, CMC etc. has endorsed my little "revive the CMC class" campaign so I'll end the spiel.

Here are the links I referenced:

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4696

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4683

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4618

I'm one of the few who WANTS to get into CMC racing. I would first have to offload the current Sentra, and sell my Mustang street car. If these things can come into line, I'll be in CMC with you!

roadracerwhite

CMC is far from dead, Texas, Midwest, Rocky Mountain, and Mid Atlantic are still going strong.

The problem is most people assume that it is an expensive class to run in when comparing to 944 spec, spec miata, spec e30, etc. Each one of those groups will tell you CMC is so much more expensive to run. In reality it may be slightly more in brakes, fuel and tire wear, but A) it makes the right noise and B) 2 of those classes aren't as cheap as they seem. Cheap to get a running car to the track maybe, being competitive is another story.

Once you have the car, it is not any more expensive than anything else. Many people are also confused by the difference between AI and CMC. AI is more of an engineering/development class where CMC is more of a drivers class.

One person has to start and then others will follow. It takes time. Here in the midwest we had 2 for a year (2007)and then 4 (2008), then ~6(2009), and now we are in the double digits the last couple years.

I would also consider trying to get yourself in as a CMC director. People need someone to talk to about the class. The AI/CMC directors mean well, but there is some competition when someone is thinking about running AI or CMC. Why would an AI director tell someone to build a car for a class he isn't running in? Also, many times one of us is asked to run with AI to get better toyo bucks for that race, which there isn't a problem with when it makes sense, but the person ends up running at the back of AI, not much fun. Many of the CMC guys here in the midwest came from AI, most got tired of spending money/time trying to make the car faster and wanted to work more on the racing.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

Bryan

I'm one of the few who WANTS to get into CMC racing. I would first have to offload the current Sentra, and sell my Mustang street car. If these things can come into line, I'll be in CMC with you!

Sounds good and hopefully you are able to make it happen. I'm in a black foxbody #52. Let's talk next SE event you attend.

CMC is far from dead, Texas, Midwest, Rocky Mountain, and Mid Atlantic are still going strong.

The problem is most people assume that it is an expensive class to run in when comparing to 944 spec, spec miata, spec e30, etc. Each one of those groups will tell you CMC is so much more expensive to run. In reality it may be slightly more in brakes, fuel and tire wear, but A) it makes the right noise and B) 2 of those classes aren't as cheap as they seem. Cheap to get a running car to the track maybe, being competitive is another story.

Once you have the car, it is not any more expensive than anything else. Many people are also confused by the difference between AI and CMC. AI is more of an engineering/development class where CMC is more of a drivers class.

One person has to start and then others will follow. It takes time. Here in the midwest we had 2 for a year (2007)and then 4 (2008), then ~6(2009), and now we are in the double digits the last couple years.

I would also consider trying to get yourself in as a CMC director. People need someone to talk to about the class. The AI/CMC directors mean well, but there is some competition when someone is thinking about running AI or CMC. Why would an AI director tell someone to build a car for a class he isn't running in? Also, many times one of us is asked to run with AI to get better toyo bucks for that race, which there isn't a problem with when it makes sense, but the person ends up running at the back of AI, not much fun. Many of the CMC guys here in the midwest came from AI, most got tired of spending money/time trying to make the car faster and wanted to work more on the racing.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

Bryan

Thanks Bryan - all good information. I think between our collective emails, lot's of good reasons why CMC cars are ideal as a starting place to get involved with NASA events.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the small numbers in the southeast still doesn't sway me from starting to build a CMC car. Especially now that I have the blessing and approval from my better half. Build it and they will come! Can't wait for the race at Road Atlanta in December might try to talk the wife into going to Savannah for the race in September. Hopefully there will be a few CMC cars I can look at and ask some questions.

Seeing the small numbers in the southeast still doesn't sway me from starting to build a CMC car. Especially now that I have the blessing and approval from my better half. Build it and they will come! Can't wait for the race at Road Atlanta in December might try to talk the wife into going to Savannah for the race in September. Hopefully there will be a few CMC cars I can look at and ask some questions.

Yes, yes, yes, build it

I'll be at Savannah in September and Road Atlanta in December if you want to look over my car. I'm not yet racing it in CMC but the car is fully race ready (just the driver is not ready). As of now, there are no CMC cars scheduled to race at Roebling.

Where are you located.

I have a nice CMC Mustang for sale local...

Please post a pic or 2 and a little information about your car in this thread. Believe there are some looking to start CMC builds but probably faster just to buy one. Also there are a few looking for a safer track car for HPDE. If this post can help you sell your car and maybe add another to the CMC class, that's a win-win!

1988 Mustang Track Car $5900 OBO

Raced in CMC, Performance Touring and Time Trial 2008-2013

This car was professionally built from a street car for HPDE for original owner. These are modification done in late 2006 through 2007.

The whole suspension was rebuilt with the following parts:

SN 95 brakes and hubs

2003 cobra control arms

Steeda x2 ball joints

K-member brace

strut tower brace

welded subframe connectors

Steeda caster/camber plates

Steeda 1000 lbs front springs

Steeda 350 lbs rear springs

Steeda HD front and rear swaybars( new end links)

Tokico 5 way shocks and struts

Steeda weight jacker LCA

Steeda HD UCA

1997 Cobra complete rear end( 3.73 installed July 2007)

Safety Items:

Roll cage w/ 1 3/4 x .120 DOM

Driver (with Halo attachment) and passenger Kirkey road race seats

5 point cam lock harnesses

Fire suppression system

Engine compartment:

oil cooler with twin filter remote mount

adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Gauges:

AutoMeter ProComp Ultralite

Florida 5.0 disc insert for tach (with shift light), speedo, volts and gas.

this mounts gauges in stock location

oil temp

oil pressure

water temp

oil temp idiot light

water temp idiot light

Misc:

2 sets of 1995 GT wheels

Steeda tri-ax shifter

Engine fresh in 2012 (less than 500 miles on Turner Automotive rebuild)

235RWHP/282 RWTQ

303 Ford cam

Complete rebuild with 0.20 over pistons

ARP bolts throughout engine

Fresh valve springs and valve job.

Water pump

New front brake calipers in 2012

New rear end bearings in 2012

New Jegs aluminum radiator in 2013

New Walbro 255 fuel pump in 2013

Pictures on request

1988 Mustang Track Car $5900 OBO

Raced in CMC, Performance Touring and Time Trial 2008-2013

Thanks for sharing! $5,900 for a race or time trial ready car is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to get on the track.

Yes, yes, yes, build it

I'll be at Savannah in September and Road Atlanta in December if you want to look over my car. I'm not yet racing it in CMC but the car is fully race ready (just the driver is not ready). As of now, there are no CMC cars scheduled to race at Roebling.

Where are you located.

I'm In the Braselton Area just about fifteen minutes from Road Atlanta.

I'm In the Braselton Area just about fifteen minutes from Road Atlanta.

Great - try and come over to the Road Atlanta event on Dec. 5th.