cometb

1981 911SC

cometb

I have what is essentially a PCA stock "D" race car that I have been "DE"ing for a couple of years. I'm interested in racing it. Is this the proper group? Any other similar cars? Thanks

Ev

Anything can run in PT (just about), but with yours being German iron, you may want to look at GTS. It's all German, all the time.

kbrew8991

Being potentially with limited mods PT may fit a little better - just depends on what you want to do in the end though. GTS is very open.

ILIKETODRIVE
All German

All the time

I feel like this should be the official GTS motto.

cwbaader

If you want to run the car essentially like it is, go with PT. If you have an unlimited check book, go GTS

cometb

Thanks. Planning on going to Comp School next March at MSR-Cresson. My kid will be racing SM at TWS in October; will check out the PT races:)

cometb

What type of cars could I expect in a typical Texas Region PT race? My son races in the SM class and the races are crazy fun but body damage is fairly common. What about the PT races: more sane than SM?

cometb

What type of cars could I expect in a typical Texas Region PT race? My son races in the SM class and the races are crazy fun but body damage is fairly common. What about the PT races: more sane than SM?

AZELISE

Not sure about your region for numbers or body damage. Hopefully someone from there can help. But in my experience, Spec Miata is one of the more contact intensive class. Too many drivers trying to do well enough to compete for the Mazda ladder program and be a professional driver for Mazda along with high car counts with almost identical cars. Keep in mind high SM car counts amplify the perception of level of contact.

kbrew8991

for some reason the lower level PT classes used to get grouped with SM (but separate starts - key factor!) but now run with the big bore group. PTF and SU - sounds fun! Maybe just because of not as many of the lower level cars or something not sure. So it really depends on which PT class you're talking about, or used to matter anyway.

Being in same group as SM wasn't bad imho, we'd start half a track apart or so and on the big tracks it was rare for our front runners to catch their back markers and vice-versa. If that did happen traffic management is part of sports car racing and I never had issues with them. Only time I've ever been bumped or rubbed was other PT cars and that was very rare (I can only remember one incident during a regional). The SM guys did have some contact from time to time but kept it within class typically.

- KB, veteran of Texas Region PTF 2009-2014