255 Series Hankook RS3 vs 225 Series Hoosier R7

Snowmants

Hi guys,

I am hoping to start in TTC next year with my s2000. Currently I am running 255 series hankook ventus RS3s. It appears that for similar points I can run 225 series Hoosier R7s instead. I hear the Hoosiers run wide anyway. Would it be advantageous and worth an extra 45 lbs of ballast to run the skinnier, yet stickier, hoosiers? Just looking for opinions from anyone who may have experimented with this already.

I did search but it did not turn up anything. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Guest

Depending on your suspension setup and your ability to drive 9.9/10ths and extract the most from the tires; I would think it would be worth it.

For my car, 205 SM6 Hoosiers (less of an advantage than the R7) was waaay better/faster than 225 RS-3.

OK thanks! suspension is stock other than the S2000 CR Springs and the swaybars.

On an S2K (even with those minor upgrades) totally worth it! (PS - go blow way too much money on the Gruppe M intake lol)

For my car at Sebring, 225/45-17 Continental take-off slicks (same compound points as an R6) were about 1.7 seconds quicker than fresh 255/40-17 RS3s in hot, sunny September/October weather.

Agreed that compound > size in TT.

Mark

No comparison. R7's all the way. Plus, Hoosier has a decent contingency so you may never have to buy tires as long as there is enough in class at each event and you win

• 4 weeks later...
OK thanks! suspension is stock other than the S2000 CR Springs and the swaybars.

On an S2K (even with those minor upgrades) totally worth it! (PS - go blow way too much money on the Gruppe M intake lol)

I have an Injen intake right now but was going to go back to the stock airbox to free up points as I am not really sure how much benefit I am getting from it on the stock tune anyway....

Thanks guys! All very helpful and quantifiable evidence/input. It is much appreciated. Looks like I will be going the skinnier R7 route....

Not sure if you've seen a 225 R7 before, it's anything but "skinny". More like a 245-255.

Thanks guys! All very helpful and quantifiable evidence/input. It is much appreciated. Looks like I will be going the skinnier R7 route....

Not sure if you've seen a 225 R7 before, it's anything but "skinny". More like a 245-255.

I had heard they run more 245ish in size... sounds like a winner. I also talked to one of my Honda Challenge buddies and he mentioned that at nationals most of the fast S2000s in TT were on the R7s.

• 1 month later...

What you will find out about the 225 hoosiers is that in most cases they are as wide as any random 255 street tire anyway.

I bought some 225/40R17 A7s recently and stacked up to a 255 Michelin pilot sport they were almost identical "width", and the Michelins were on wider rims

• 1 year later...

I bought a set of used Continental EC-Dry tires form the continental Sportscar series(rebadged Hoosier R6) and stacked them up next to 245 series Dunlop Direzza Z2 star specs and they are exactly the same width. Thanks for the advice guys. Too bad all the rules are changing anyway...

I agree with everyone above. Run the Hoosiers.

That said, doesn't the fact that everyone agrees that running the Hoosier is the way to go signify that the tires aren't weighted appropriately?? If it was at all close, there'd at least be some debate. I don't understand why the street tires can't be pointed to where they can actually compete. Tire costs are everyone's biggest expense. Making street tires competitive in TT where budgets are lower and many cars are driven to the track makes even more sense to me.