Required Tech inspect before HPDE

Magus2727

I have signed up for my first HPDE1 event at MMP in the Utah Region. In my looking at the inspection it looks like in Utah region it is required to have an inspection done by a licensed and approved garage where in other regions you can often self inspect? Is this correct? It's also needed before each HPDE event or just once in a season? I can see a garage doing a licensed inspect once a year and a self inspect for all events but to add the cost of the inspection + the time before each event I see that being a not fun aspect of doing HPDE.

Also how close does the inspection have to be done to the HPDE? I have travel for work and may need to do it a # of weeks prior. I know it is identified that there are people that can do the inspection the day of the race but don't want to get caught with anything the day of. I feel confident in my car (rebuilt the whole thing 2 years ago), but always a little hesitant that I have not caught something.

I have everything else understood (have done some road course at Miller Motorsports Park for Winter-X and some Auto-X events). The Tech inspections are just new to the NASA HPDE experience.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

I know NASA AZ does not allow self-tech. We have on-site tech-ing done by NASA AZ volunteers (IF you did not get tech'd at a shop prior to). AFAIK NASA SoCal and NorCal prefer tech be performed at an approved shop prior to.

Tires/wheel/lugs good? Brakes good (lights, pedal, pads, etc)? Seatbelts function? Nothing loose sliding around in the car and trunk? Body straight and not mismatched paint? That's a lot of it. Don't overthink it and just make sure the basics are covered.

Brand new tires and wheel. Hubs on the front are less than 2 years old. same with ball joints, control arms, and bushings.

Brakes a re good. Hawk HPS pads all around, pedal feels good. fluid is DOT 4 but is about 2 years old so am going to bleed the system before my inspection. Stainless steel lines in all corners with no leaks.

Factory seats with factory OEM seatbelts. Its a hatch back and the handle that tilts the seat forwards is broken but all in good condition. nothing sliding around, battery is relocated to the trunk and is in a Taylor metal battery box and is vented. body is straight (was in an accident 6 years ago and spend 8 hours on the rack getting straight and not even a fender bender since, got rear ended...). mismatched paint might be a hard one. I have a front bumper that has had some work done on it and is in a partial sanded down condition. I am trying to get it in primer and painted before but might not get to that point. That just prevents me from being in pictures right? Kind of the same deal as using tape for #'s? I have magnetic #'s also already for my car.

The Motor has pulleys and belts that are less than 2 years old also. as stated the car is almost all new from suspension parts and motor parts from my rebuild 2 years ago.

mismatched paint might be a hard one. I have a front bumper that has had some work done on it and is in a partial sanded down condition. I am trying to get it in primer and painted before but might not get to that point. That just prevents me from being in pictures right? Kind of the same deal as using tape for #'s? I have magnetic #'s also already for my car.

NASA AZ (and NASA in general, I believe) has a 50/50 rule. From 50 feet going 50mph, does the car look good? Pictures aren't the reason. Aesthetically pleasing vehicles in general is the reason.

We normally don't allow magnetic numbers either due to the fact that they *may* fall off during a session and cause debris on track and cause your vehicle to be unidentifiable by number. Tape for #'s is actually preferred.

Good to know. Thanks. I will do the tape and wax deal for the #'s.

For the bumper it's kind of looks like a blue camo look right now. does it look unsightly? depends on if its me or my wife that is being asked Its not damaged, its structurally sound, 50/50 you can still tell the bumper is not painted and does not match the rest of the car. I hope to have it fixed before the HPDE but life and work get in the way.

Edit:

Contacted my local HPDE guy: I need a tech inspection 30 days prior to HPDE. so looks like I need to hold off till its 30 days from my event.

Thanks for all the help.