NP in Super Touring?

Brian L.

• Members

It looks like these cars will also class into ST2 depending on exactly where the weight ends up and what tire they run on. Maybe a good option to have another class it can run in at any regional event until the NP's numbers climb?

Any idea what the car that ran at Eastern States Champs weighed in at? Dyno HP numbers?

• Members
I had the same thought but ST is for modified street cars not pure race cars

That is an incorrect statement. ST actually has a specific allowance called "non-production factor" that allows any closed wheel car to race within its ruleset. Not sure where you heard that but please correct the source!

I asked Will where these would run in Texas and he said the Blitz group which consists of the ST and GTS classes. So I would imagine they would be ST2 cars.

The tires are spec DOT Toyo's and the weight IIRC was at 1525 loaded with fuel and fluids.

We have a couple of radicals that run in the ST class.

Pretty simple to figure out... it's pretty much going to be an outgunned ST1 car unless you add ballast. The weight penalty for being below 1800lbs is massive.

If you assume 1700lbs min weight with driver, and 180RWHP maximum, you have to take these mod factors:

Weight: -2.0

Non Production Vehicle: -0.4

Sequential Transmission: -0.2

DOT Tire 245mm or smaller: +0.7

That is an adjusted power to weight of 7.544 which is ST1, which has a limit of 5.50. You'll get eaten alive on the straights.

But if you ballast the car to 1800lbs, that huge weight mod factor hit reduces from -2.0 to -0.3.

This is actually such a difference that it slots into ST3 and the car is actually pretty much impossible to run ST2 (meaning optimized for the class) with this car. If the weight is 1799lbs, you're still in ST1, but go to 1800lbs, and you go to ST3.

Assuming 180RWHP max and 1800lbs minimum weight you would take these mod factors:

Weight: -0.3

Non Production Vehicle ST3: -0.7

Sequential Transmission: -0.2

DOT Tire 245mm or smaller: +0.7

And that is an adjusted power to weight of 9.500 in ST3 which has a limit of 9.00. So that one is not too bad.

So my initial thought is that with some ballast it would fit nicely in ST3. But who knows, since this is NASA's baby they will likely make it an exception to the weight penalty rules but even then it will still only really be competitive in ST3.

If ballast is not an (easy) option, might as well run the best slicks money can buy and hope for the best in ST1 lol. Or detune (probably around 155whp +/- 5whp) and run ST3.

• Members

Yeah my thought was a little ballast, and maybe a detune to stay in ST2 or even ST3. This year at West coast Champs we have a bunch of modified Thunder Roadsters that did very well in ST3. I can see the NP-01 fitting right in there along side them. I think it will be important for the class to have a go to spot to compete against other cars while more chassis are purchased and start making their way out to the track.

Adding the ballast to get to 1800lbs minimum will definitely race better instead of detuning. A -2.0 mod factor for being sub 1800lbs is a huge power to weight hit, and I'm guessing you'll get dragged down the straights pretty hard.

Does the NP01 make 180 HP at the wheels or at the crank?

Well stock it makes like what, 170 at the flywheel through a standard front engine rear drive type drivetrain. I'm just guessing a max of 180RWHP would be a safe bet to put down on a classing sheet since it will have intake, full exhaust, tuning, and an efficient drivetrain (transaxle). It will likely be in between 170 to 175RWHP if I were to take a guess at power output but we'll see when it hits the dyno.

They make 185 at the crank. If you run these cars as they are, the ECU is sealed, the engine is sealed so you can't (not supposed to) mess with any of that. Shocks are sealed, Trans gears are fixed. Brakes and rotors are spec. It's a spec car so no one should be messing with any of that. You can play with the setup, rear wing and ballast and that's it. I don't think the powers that be have decided on the race weight of the car yet, meaning skinny guys carry ballast and fat guys need to go on a diet.

Adding the weight to keep it in ST3 is the way to go and I think we can give the TR a run for their money.