2015 RCR's for 2016 Rulebooks - 2016 rules released...

Al Watson

That time of year again. We have gathered a few RCRs during the year, if you have one please submit it per:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101232

All season – RCRs submitted and addressed

Oct 1st – RCRs done. RCRs open for public comment.

Oct 15th – Rules pack submitted to National AI director

Nov 1st – Rules pack submitted to Nasa HQ

Nov 15th – Rules approved and released

Thanks, AL.

• 2 weeks later...

RCR's submitted:

RCR-SI-042015 Change spec shocks to Motion Control (hvt no longer able to supply) - Done

RCR-SI-061815 Change cc plates to MM (FRPP no longer available) - Done

RCR-SI-081115 delete 3.73 gear, spec oem 3.31 gear only

RCR-SI-081215 only allow the mustang gt rear swaybar, not other oem bars

RCR-SI-081515 update 7.2 to specifically allow aft mkt wheels with no mods min 26lb

RCR-AI-040815 clarify lexan on driver/pass door. window must be removed or down.

RCR-AI-040915 2015 mustang track width increase for IRS 75.250F / 76.250R - Done

RCR-AI-070715 AI aero limits. front/rear aero no major change. limit aero on sides of cars, currently no language

RCR-AI-072015 clarify 2015 IRS not be retro fitted to earlier s197, must stay 2015up

added 10/03/15

RCR-AI-100115 reduce ride height to 4.5"

RCR-AI-100215 allow any aft mkt or oem ABS

RCR-AI-100315 allow dry sumps

RCR-AIX-040815 clarify lexan on driver/pass door. window must be removed or down.

and to clarify, i'd selfishly prefer that 3.31's be allowed or required- i just ditched the 3.73 in my car and installed 3.31's. The 5th gear in these cars is useless- it takes 1.2 seconds to shift into 5th because of the wide ratio drop, which translates into 220 ft of coasting. It then takes another 2.5 seconds and 450 feet to regain the speed lost due to aero drag.

Thanks for clearing that up Olaaf. The request was to have all on the same rear ratio. We do realize using 5th gear stinks. I know 3.73 result in using 5th at several tracks, wonder about 3.55s? bet still need 5th, 3.31s should keep all out of 5th gear..

Attention:

Corey Weber

Terry Mathis

Robert Miller

If you guys want to have your car picture in the 2016 rulebooks please email a nice picture I can use. Thanks, Al.

Al,

At the 6400 RPM limiter that comes with the stock and Ford Racing tune 128MPH is the limit for 3.73, 134MPH for 3.55 and 143MPH for 3.31's

I've hit 133-134 at Road Atlanta, the Glen, NJMP Thunderbolt, and VIR with 3.73's shifting into 5th, so I believe it's safe to say 3.55's would be topped out as well.

Also, I believe most of the SI cars have chosen 3.31's. I think there were only 2 cars with 3.73's at 2014 nationals, out of 12.

However, forcing one into 3.31's increases costs.. makes them crack open the diff, pay for the install.. while they are at it, they will install the Torsen. SI is an expensive class (very expensive i think, given the speed to cost ratio which might be why it's not taking off?) already.

Most of the 2010's came with 3.31's

{ SI is an expensive class (very expensive i think, given the speed to cost ratio which might be why it's not taking off?) already.}

I disagree,I think it's the exact opposite.These car's can easily be built for $25.000 and be very competitive.You may have to do some of the work yourself if you want some of the bells and whistles,but still doable.If you look at some of the other comparable class's by speed like gts2,spec46 and specZ,ptb,it's still cheaper to build a spec iron mustang.The only other place to race a s197 with alike cars is AI which is a lot more expensive! (Been there done that.)Parts for this class are fairly cheap and readily available.Plus it's really hard to beat the contingencies from Toyo and Ford.

As far as it taking off,I think that depends on your region.Some are doing really well.But hey,Rome wasn't built in a day!If you really think about it,this class is really only 2 years old.

I'm good with these recommendations. I would liked to have seen more standardization with springs, but I'm too late to make that recommended change. Spec should mean spec. EVERYTHING should be the same.

So for now, lets go we/the 3:31. I'll ditch my 3:73 gear & my convertible bar.

It's not too late to register for Daytona folks. We'll have a bigger turnout than Nationals! Think we have at least 7 SI cars registered so far. Come on down for some late season high-speed fun!

James Ray

Why only allow the GT bar? Since spring rates are open, there is no point in disallowing your choice of a rear bar. There is no savings in costs from this change. If the goal is to save costs, publishing recommended springs and bar combo's would help newbie car owners. Otherwise, the intent of the class is spelled out in the rules- it's for skilled drivers who can develop a car to their liking-

2. Intent

"The SI rules are designed to ensure parity and optimum reliability by clearly defining allowed

modifications. Success in competition will come via driving skill and fine tuning of adjustable

parameters."

I think the springs rates and sway bars should stay open or at least one of them. If you have a poorly handling 3500 pound racecar, all your going to do is eat up $1200 worth of tires.This will raise the cost to race in this series.If everybody wants a spec spring I would say go with what Ford had on the Mustang Challenge cars.They're pretty close but leave the sway bars open for some adjustments. An 18mm bar costs around $60.00 and if you buy the ford racing sway bar kit you end up with the 22mm rear bar.I don't know anybody using it but you have it regardless.I think the gear change is really the only change that needs to be made and makes sense cause a lot of people don't have an extra $1,400 rearend laying around or the back to tote the damn thing....

Now,lets go race Daytona!!!Can I get a amen!

Who's up for that?

No one's fault but mine, for being late to this party. But I think we need to keep sway bars (and springs) open in Spec Iron. Bars are inexpensive and help fine tune for various tracks and conditions. I've heard the "we're all in the same boat argument ", but take a poll of SI drivers, I bet the majority is in favor of open sway bars.

John

Yeah, I agree. James Ray said he would remove the 18MM bar from his car, but what will that actually cost him? A new set of rear springs, a new rear bar, rear bar bushings, and 1-2 track sessions to get the ride height right to balance the car (or, choose yet another rear spring combo). If he goes bar-less, it might push the 53.5% front weight bias out, and he might need to shift ballast and now re-corner balance.

It's not worth the expense. One can achieve the same wheel rate with bars or springs. I don't think this request was thought through fully. If you want a spec bar package, then it must come with a spec spring package. It's a loophole with no purpose except to jump through hoops to dial in your car.

Fellow racers, while most of the rule changes are small and are clarifications, there is one I wish to post regarding new limits on aero in Ai, please read them and if you have a comment please keep it constructive. The goal is not to change what most of us have but to set some hard limits in AI where little existed so that this is not the next grey area to exploit.

old AI:

7.5.1 Spoilers, wings and air dams must be fixed for competition. Front splitters, air dams or dive planes shall not extend frontward or sideways more than 5” beyond the outline of the nose of the car as viewed from above. Front wings and roof wings are not allowed. Rear wings or rear spoilers installed on AI cars must not extend rearward more than 1.5 inches beyond the outline of the rear bumper silhouette as viewed from above at the most rearward dimension and may not have an airfoil width not to include endplates or bolts greater than 72 inches. The rear wing or spoiler may not extend beyond 1.5 of the rearward most point of the OEM stock bumper location measured along any plane dissecting the car front to back.

7.5.2 Aerodynamic devices including but not limited to under trays, side skirts and diffuser tunnels may not be mounted between the inside edges of the tires between the front and rear axle centerlines as measured with the wheels straight. Flat bottoms are expressly prohibited and all splitters must end at the front axle centerline and rear diffuser structures must end within one and one half (1.5) inch rearward of the rear bumper silhouette as viewed from above at the most rearward dimension. Any rear diffuser structures may not extend beyond 1.5 of the rearward most point of the OEM stock bumper location measured along any plane dissecting the car front to back.

New AI:

7.5.1 All aerodynamic devices must be fixed for competition and shall be made from any material.

7.5.2 Venting, louvers, ducting etc for the purpose of aerodynamics is permitted anywhere on the car except within the drivers compartment or trunk area. Venting for the purpose of driver comfort is permitted anywhere on the car.

7.5.3 Front aerodynamic devices are limited to a splitter, air dam, and a maximum of 4 front dive planes/canards and shall not extend frontward more than 5” beyond the outline of the OEM stock bumper/cover and shall not extend sideways more than 1.5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body not including mirrors as viewed from above. Front aerodynamic devices shall not extend further rearward than the front axle centerline. Front wings are not permitted.

7.5.4 Only side skirts and vortex generators shall be used between the front and rear axle centerlines. No other aero devices shall be used in the center of the vehicle. Roof wings, under trays, door dive planes, etc. are not permitted. Side skirts must be mounted to the rocker panel area and shall not extend inboard of the inside edges of the tires when the wheels are pointed straight ahead and shall not extend sideways more than 1.5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body when viewed from above not including the mirrors. Vortex generators shall be mounted on the rear area of the roof only.

7.5.5 Rear aerodynamic devices are limited to a wing, spoiler, diffuser and a maximum of 4 dive planes/canards and shall not extend rearward more than 1.5” of the rear most point of the OEM stock bumper/cover location and sideways more than 1.5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body as viewed from above not including the mirrors. Rear aerodynamic devices shall not extend further forward than the rear axle centerline. Wings shall have a maximum airfoil width/span of 72” not to include endplates or hardware and a maximum cord depth of 15” for single element wings including gurney flaps, wickers etc. Multi-element wings shall have a maximum total cord depth of 12” measured as the sum of all cords. Wings may overhang the side of the OEM stock body beyond 1.5” so long as the span is 72” or less. Wing measurements shall be in a flat plane, not curved around surfaces.

old AIX:

7.5.1 Spoilers, wings and air dams must be fixed for competition. Front splitters, air dams or dive planes shall not extend frontward or sideways more than 5” beyond the outline of the nose of the car as viewed from above. Front wings and roof wings are not allowed. Rear wings or rear spoilers installed on AI cars must not extend rearward more than 1.5 inches beyond the outline of the rear bumper silhouette as viewed from above at the most rearward dimension and may not have an airfoil width not to include endplates or bolts greater than 72 inches. The rear wing or spoiler may not extend beyond 1.5 of the rearward most point of the OEM stock bumper location measured along any plane dissecting the car front to back.

7.5.2 Aerodynamic devices including but not limited to under trays, side skirts and diffuser tunnels may not be mounted between the inside edges of the tires between the front and rear axle centerlines as measured with the wheels straight. Flat bottoms are expressly prohibited and all splitters must end at the front axle centerline and rear diffuser structures must end within one and one half (1.5) inch rearward of the rear bumper silhouette as viewed from above at the most rearward dimension. Any rear diffuser structures may not extend beyond 1.5 of the rearward most point of the OEM stock bumper location measured along any plane dissecting the car front to back.

new AIX:

7.5.1 All aerodynamic devices must be fixed for competition and shall be made from any material.

7.5.2 Venting, louvers, ducting etc is permitted anywhere on the car.

7.5.3 Front aerodynamic devices including but not limited to splitters, air dams, and front dive planes/canards, shall not extend frontward more than 5” beyond the outline of the OEM stock bumper/cover and shall not extend sideways more than 5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body not including mirrors as viewed from above. Front wings are not permitted.

7.5.4 Aerodynamic devices including but not limited to under trays, side skirts etc may not be mounted between the inside edges of the tires between the front and rear axle center lines as measured with the wheels pointed straight ahead and shall not extend sideways more than 5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body when viewed from above not including mirrors. Flat bottoms are expressly prohibited. Roof wings are not permitted.

7.5.5 Rear aerodynamic devices including but not limited to wings, spoilers, diffusers and rear dive planes/canards shall not extend rearward more than 1.5” of the rear most point of the OEM stock bumper/cover location and sideways more than 5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body as viewed from above not including the mirrors.

Thanks, AL.

7.5.5 Rear aerodynamic devices including but not limited to wings, spoilers, diffusers and rear dive planes/canards shall not extend rearward more than 1.5” of the rear most point of the OEM stock bumper/cover location and sideways more than 5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body as viewed from above not including the mirrors.

Strongly disagree with limiting AIX rear wing rearward placement. True AIX cars need all the rear wing/downforce possible.

I keep forgetting what the X in AIX stands for.

FWIW world time attack cars have some of the most advanced aero on production chassis, and their rule is 100mm (4”):

“Rear Wing assembly design is free and may have up to two elements. It must extend no higher than the horizontal line from the highest point of the roof, no wider than 100mm per side wider than the body width and 100mm further rearward than the original coachwork except in the case of a hatchback where the wing can be no higher than 250mm from the highest point of the wing to the roofline and must be on the rear portion of the roof.”

Then there is always the option going running in SU (unlimited > extreme)

7.5.3 Limits splitters to 1.5" wider than stock body work. If my math is right (I was never a math whiz) that isn't enough to cover the track width increase allowed on a Fox body Mustang. We have to run fenders that are about 2" wider each than stock to cover the allowed track width increase. It would be nice if the splitter could be made to match.

Another thought, which piece of original bodywork are you going to use for this measurement? I assume the fenders were the widest point originally. There isn't a stock width fender left on a lot of the older Mustangs including mine.

Good point Greg.

maybe we should simply say: 1.5" beyond the outer most point of the body but may not exceed the body's maximum track width set in 6.1.1?

the goal is for all to have 1.5" max on the sides whether old narrow cars, new wider cars, and all the stuff in between.

Thanks, AL.

in fact Greg you got us to think again about the side aero language again..

types of cars:

- older cars, narrow body, narrow track width

- older cars, narrow body but flares and increase track width

- newer cars, wide body, wide track not much in the way of flares

etc

possible language to measure off of:

- Oe body

- body

- track width

- max track width

we don't regulate body width but do regulate track width, probably better to measure off the tires then body. measuring off max track width would certainly give an advantage to the size of aero an older narrow car or car that is not at max track width can do. starting to sound better to reference 'current' track width or the 'wheels' in general. agreed measuring off the OE body may be very difficult considering older cars tend to be more modified.

This is my current thoughts:

shall not extend sideways more than 1.5” of the outer most point of the OEM stock body not including mirrors tires as viewed from above.

red = remove / green = add in

I think you're headed in the right direction but may still need to refine it.

To start, you can't see my tires from above.

What about the Fox body that is at 72", can he not build a splitter as wide as the same car that is at 74.5" track width?

Would 1.5" (per side?) wider than max allowed track width be a simple way to write it? Could this apply to all aero?

The directors were able to talk about the proposed areo changes this week. It looks like we have only had a couple racers comment one for sure not in favor, the other diving into the measurements. How meany feel this is a needed change for ai or aix.