Andrew@RenownGarage

Increased Wheel Size in PT?

Andrew@RenownGarage

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a car to run in either PTF or PTE and I basically just had one question. Are we allowed to run larger diameter wheels than what is standard? I suppose I'll ask if we can run wider wheels as well. I've looked over the rule book again and again and can't seem to anything about this. I get everything about the tires. I'm just asking about the wheels...

I know SCCA limits me to only running 15x7 wheels and was just wondering if there's something similar in NASA.

Thanks!

ILIKETODRIVE

Only limited by what you can squeeze under your fenders!

I ran 15x8 with 205 HooHoos. I know of a local PTE Miata that squeezed 15x9 with 225 Hoosiers.

Andrew@RenownGarage

Awesome, thanks! Yeah I was thinking of running 17" wheels instead of the 15s that the car currently has. It's not a Miata, larger body car

ILIKETODRIVE
Awesome, thanks! Yeah I was thinking of running 17" wheels instead of the 15s that the car currently has. It's not a Miata, larger body car

You are, however, "limited" by tire size.

PTE base tire size is 235. Therefore, if your car starts in PTE, anything larger (in 10mm increments) is +1/+4/+7/+10/+13/+16/+19/+22/+25/+28/+31 points towards your total and smaller (in 10mm increments) is -1/-4/-7/-10 subtracted from your total.

Also, compound plays a role...blah blah blah.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/420/PT_Car_Classification_Form_2015--v10.2--1-15-15.pdf

Andrew@RenownGarage

Yeah I got all of that mostly figured out. Planning on running just 10mm wider RA1s, adding the points accordingly, and spending the rest of the points elsewhere. Was just mainly concerned about the legality of running larger diameter wheels/tires.

Thanks for all of your help!

hhdinyuma

From the 2015 NASA PT Rules, Section I. No Points Modifications, page 25 (emphasis added):

d. Drivetrain

1) Wheels, wheel studs, wheel bearings replacement/upgrade, hub modification/replacement,

axle modification or replacement (unless otherwise assessed points above).

Spindles/steering knuckles may be modified or replaced as a No-Points modification to

allow for hub size change provided that there are no changes in suspension geometry or

mounting point locations (such as tie rod connection height, ball joint connection

location/height, etc.)

Therefore, any wheels may be used and are a no-point modification. If you are new to NASA PT or TT, I suggest you get very familiar with section I.

The NASA PT Rules can be found here: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/341/PT_Rules_2015_v_10.2--1-15-15.pdf