10/25th & 26th At Infineon Was A BLAST!

PEP Racing

Well, my first HPDE was a blast! I think I did better than expected considering it was the first time on a track with my own car. I will say...i'm hooked! Neil, my instructor for the day, was also great! He gave me a ride in his Miata in group 3, and man that thing makes it around the track fast for 100 hp at the wheels. The only thing that didn't like the day was my front tires! Nothing like putting 5,000 miles worth of wear on them in a few hours! I'm ready to get a set of track wheels and tires. I have 17 inch wheels selected for now (if that's the best way to go) but could use some input on whitch tires to get. My street tires are NITTO NT-555 Extreme 225/40ZR 17s. I noticed some of the other cars are running taller track tires in 50/55/60 series. I also notice that most of the serious track tires don't even come in 35/40 series. I have the stock 15 inch aluminum wheels still and could go that route as well. What would be the best set-up for track use. Any help some of you more experienced guys could provide would be great. I'll be back at Infineon on 11/23...I can't wait!

Thanks,

Phil

I'm glad you had a good time. That was my first time to Sears Point. To be honest, it intimidated me. I started off in group 3 on Saturday. After the 3rd session I felt much better and started to really have fun. There are so many great turns in this track it made it fun and challenging.

I have to admit, I loved passing people in the carousel. Cant wait to go back

I also had a great time as well on Sunday at Infineon. Been there before but ran a different car last time(BMW 325I) and now run my black vw GTI(mk1). I have to say Infineon is my favorite of the ones I attended but Laguna Seca comes a very close second(ok-maybe tied for first). I love the whole track set up with its many turns and if done right man oh man its rewarding. But having gone to quite a few NASA events I never seen so many crashes and off the track incidents like yesterday. My friend spun his '97 e36 m3 on turn 8 after going to hot and went over the berm and spun going rearward across the track to rightside tirewall on the first session in group 3. Lucky he came uninjured but that's what risks you take when going on the track. By far it is the most technically difficult coarse out there esp if you get of the track since runoffs are few and far between. Love the track!!!! Regards. Mike

I'm looking for Juan, red spec miata #911. We were in group 3 at Infineon on 10/25. I had the black Sentra SE-R. Can you e-mail me at matma92ser(at)cal.berkeley.edu ? Thanks very much! Anybody else know how I can contact Juan?

thanks,

matt

Phil,

Congrats on your first outing! What a blast, eh?

If you are looking for a set of track tires, you could try the Kumho VictoRacers (that's what was on my Mustang when you rode in it at Sears Point). They are relatively inexpensive and are holding up well so far. I would definitely recommend getting them heat cycled as that should help them last longer.

I found them to stick quite well at Thunderhill this past weekend, but they still give plenty of warning. I got mine from TireRack (and they do offer heat cycling!). Took two days to get to my door and shipping was $7 a tire!

Hey Lance!

As you know, it only takes one time on the track to be HOOKED! I had a BLAST! Also, thanks again for the ride-along, I really think it helped me with the lines on the track this time. I hope to see you at some other events in the future. Thanks for the tire info as well. I'll take a look at the Kumhos and see what's up.

See Ya All Soon!

Phil

I'm looking for Juan, red spec miata #911. We were in group 3 at Infineon on 10/25. I had the black Sentra SE-R. Can you e-mail me at matma92ser(at)cal.berkeley.edu ? Thanks very much! Anybody else know how I can contact Juan?

thanks,

matt

were you car # 125?

Man! i missed this event cause my cousin was getting married on that weekend but i will be at infienon on the 23rd!... need some new tires before i get out there... might get some toyo T1-S or kuhmo escta MX... see you guys out there!

Man! i missed this event cause my cousin was getting married on that weekend but i will be at infienon on the 23rd!... need some new tires before i get out there... might get some toyo T1-S or kuhmo escta MX... see you guys out there!

i'll be there too.. going to try out the toyo RA-1's i just got.. i'm courious if they are going to be any better then my Yokohama A032R's

hmongboy,

What size Toyo T1-Ss are you going to buy. I have an almost new set of 225/45ZR 17s for sale. Used them for one track day and changed to a set of the same in 40 series. Let me know if you can use them.

Thanks,

Phil

hmongboy,

What size Toyo T1-Ss are you going to buy. I have an almost new set of 225/45ZR 17s for sale. Used them for one track day and changed to a set of the same in 40 series. Let me know if you can use them.

Thanks,

Phil

haha Phil this is crazycharlster from 707i... i'm going to be using my stock 15's so sorry bro... looking for 205/50/15... going to stop by les schwab and discount tires for price quotes

I also had a lot of fun out there on the 26th. I was in the Yellow BMW M3 #411. To bad we didn't get to run the last session! Although Nasa did mention something about a reimbursement but I haven't heard anything yet. But if they do, I might have to use it towards the next HPDE.

Edited by Guest

oh YES! Check out that DAYLIGHT under your wheel brian! YEAH! We gotta get that cage in and get you out in a race

What daylight? I don't see any stinking daylight.

My best friend ownes a 7 tire store chain in the Bay Area. He can get me HUGE deals on tires and you can deal with one of his local shops. I hate dealing with mail order and the internet for car parts! Let me know what exact tires and sizes you guys are looking for and i'll see what kind of a deal I can get for you!

My best friend ownes a 7 tire store chain in the Bay Area. He can get me HUGE deals on tires and you can deal with one of his local shops. I hate dealing with mail order and the internet for car parts! Let me know what exact tires and sizes you guys are looking for and i'll see what kind of a deal I can get for you!

That's great news!!!

hey Phil, see if you can get some toyo T1-S or kuhmo escta MX for a good deal... thanx

I can get almost any tire brand. Give me brand and sizes you guys want and i'll call my friend for prices.

205/50/15... i'm going to les schwab and dicount tires later when i leave petaluma

Wow, all these Petaluma people keep popping up out of the woodwork! I grew up there but never run into other Petaluma people now that I've moved away.

What happened in the last session? What group was this?

matt

From what I remember. There was an accident in one of the race groups so the ambulance had to rush him/her to the hospital. According to Infineons rules or it could be NASA's rules, we are not allowed to run on the track unless there is an ambulance available. So, the run groups 1 - 2 got delayed and with little day light left, it wasn't enough time to run the last session.

Yeah there was an acccident with the Porsche racing group which necessitated ambulance which delayed hpde. Group3/4 was bunched up together and group 1/2 couldn't do the last session because it was getting dark. Hey M3-Fin I saw your car-I was in the ugly black gti. My other friends were in the red EVO and my other friend(m3 e36-crashed on the first session in group 3). Did both group 2/3-man it was fun. Regards. Mike