"Spec Racer Ford"

dbrad

Section 8.2.1 of the rules list the approved NASA racecar TT classes. "Spec Racer Ford" is listed as TTB. Is this the Spec Iron class?

Negative.

spec_racer_ford_a.jpg

Good to know thanks.

Guess I'll have to figure out the class via the conventional method. Base 2010 Mustang GT TTC and start adding points. Would tend to think cars already classed in a W2W spec racing class would already be assigned a TT class.

Good to know thanks.

Guess I'll have to figure out the class via the conventional method. Base 2010 Mustang GT TTC and start adding points. Would tend to think cars already classed in a W2W spec racing class would already be assigned a TT class.

It's difficult to one-for-one a Spec class car to TT for three reasons:

1 - Within a given Spec class there can be unforeseen variables, including but not limited to actual wheel horsepower

2 - Said owner of said Spec car might want to add/subtract weight to fall within a certain TT class

3 - Within a given Spec class there can be different allowable versions of said Spec car (Spec Miata, for example) and different allowable mods (944 Spec 5th gear ratio swap, for example)

The best way to tackle TT classing is to go full nerd mode. Read and reread everything in the TT rules. Know and double-know your Spec Iron mods as well as their point values within TT classing. Know your actual whp and race weight to within 1%. Decide if your Spec tires are what you will run and, if not, what tires you could run based on the rest of your modifications to cap out your points within a class.

TT, unfortunately, is not something you can just fall into and succeed. Unlike a Spec class you have to be really mindful of not only what mods you can/can't afford (in regards to points) but also what mods are successful on the chassis you choose.

A fully developed spec iron race car fits directly into TTB org PTB but you will be at a 10 to 15 horsepower disadvantage I was going to run both spec iron and PTB in last year's championships and I had one point to spare.

Thanks Robert

I'm not concerned with being competitive in the respective TT class. My goal is to run the car in full Spec Iron trim until I get comfortable enough for comp school. Trying to decide whether to go TT route or HPDE's while getting used to the car (the white Spec Iron car at Daytona last weekend).

You could do both.Go ahead and get your TT license and after a few events go for your comp license.You will get used to a s197 car pretty quick.They drive much better than the older chassis.And if you need any help or have any questions just give me a call.

Will you have the car for RA?