Which class of racing?

barrylight

I am building a 67 Mustang now for about 2 years with original intent of AI racing from the start of the build. Of course I have studied the AI rules, and rules for other classes. The main purpose of this endeavor is to build a road race/autocross car. The AI class of racing now is just not as important as originally, but would still like to be somewhat competitive in whatever competition I do.. I noticed the AI is mainly for much newer cars. As mentioned, I have studied the AI rules and will probably be in the slower 9.5:1 classification. I noticed a lot of different tire size rules for other classes, and other options that add or reduce points to place in a particular class. My questions, are: Would this 67 Mustang be competitive for the AI?...I saw a Vintage NASA, which I would assume it would fit in, however, not many locations in the Mid South to race this class.....I also see a TT class.... and so many other classes. If I build to the AI rules, what other classes could this car fit in? Any comments on all my questions would be most appreciated.

If you want to go wheel to wheel (W2W) racing, then you might want to take a look at PT (Performance Touring) or ST/SU (Super Touring/Super Unlimited) in the Pro Racing section. There was some discussion in the ST/SU forum about PT possibly going away and being added to the ST classes. ST3 might be a class for you for W2W racing given the power to weight ratio you mentioned. I'm not sure of how modified your car is right now, so I'm not sure how much work and money (suspension, aero - splitter and wing etc., brakes, etc...) it would need to be competitive, including its suspension design vs the much newer cars.

In Time Trials, you're racing against the clock with other cars on the track, but they typically grid you by lap times, so there is less chance of car on car contact than in W2W racing. If you do plan on going W2W racing, then spending some time in Time Trials is still good to work on your lap times.

It looks like the current rules are at https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules, but I believe that the 2016 rules will be published fairly soon.

You can view past events timing results at http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/ to help get an idea of the typical amount of cars in each class and their lap times. If you go to https://www.nasaproracing.com/ and then choose your region from the Region drop down menu, then you should be able to take a look at results and Season Points to also get an idea of the amount of cars that typically run.

I'm not sure how much money you are willing to put into the Mustang, but if you really want to go W2W racing, then you might also want to consider just buying a car that is already built like those listed at http://classifieds.racerconnect.com/.

PS - what region/area are you from? - Jim

Kid,

I appreciate your comments and quick reply. I am in the Mid South ( Memphis, TN) area. In regards to car modifications, the car will have all new Global West road race front suspension and also their road race leaf spring/shock suspension. I didn't know if this would be competitive with the newer cars, so that's why I had mentioned Vintage type classes. I really wasn't considering any aero, thinking that could be added. I am new at all this and just wanted to get started with Autocross, HPDE. But I did want to build the car with intentions of competing in some classes, such as AI, TT or others like you had mentioned.

In regards to costs, I have looked at some of the ads for NASA type cars, and I could probably get two cars for the costs I am putting into this 67 Mustang. I had heard that whatever budget you have in mind on starting out to build a car, it usually winds up about twice what you thought! I am finding out that is very true!

THanks again for your comments and welcome any more.

NASA doesn't have any vintage classes, really.

You may want to really study the PT (and TT) rulebook and see if you can squeeze the car into Performance Touring C or B.

Otherwise...finish the build, go through the HPDE ranks (or if you mostly are, dive into some TT) and sell it to fund a built race car + trailer.

Barry - build your 67 as a street cruiser. For racing buy a 2005 - 2010 mustang and build a spec iron class car. It's a great class and is building momentum in the SE region. I just sold my CMC car and bought a fully built SI car. I also have a 67 mustang for weekends and the occasional cruise.

ILTD,

I was kinda expecting a reply such as your ( "Sell the 67 mustang and get a real race car!! " ), and I really appreciate your suggestion to try to fit it in PT or TT. That's why I started this post to get you experienced people to give me advice after I decided the AI class wouldn't be best for me.

I studied the PT rules ( seem to be much more rules/modifications that AI), and with the way I started my build on this 67 to initially fit AI, ( to fit within PT rules) , I may be bumped up to ST!

Could you, or could you suggest who I could contact to help me interpret the rules, and especially the modifications, so I could see where I am going with this?