Blitz128

New NASA Prototype car and class

Blitz128

Interested if anyone in our region has bought or planning to get a car and campaign in the region ? If not enough cars for a class would the car run in SU and/or TTU ?

Firouz H.

bobby butler has bought one and he told me it will be in st3 class

firouz

rex.racer

I bought one as well (Sorry Firouz, didn't go for the TR, this was more sexy ). My kit is supposed to be in the que for delivery for mid Dec but I still don't have confirmation on the date yet. I'm hoping to have it built and shake it down in time for Cresson in March.

I just got an email today directing my to a dropbox folder with all the technical drawings and build assembly pages and steps. Have been going over each page over and over again to get a mental image of how the car goes together and any tooling I need to acquire between now and then. Can't wait to get out on the track with this thing.

I've been told it will be in the Blitz group either ST2 or ST3 depending on final weight numbers and such.

Jay

Blitz128

Jay... sounds great.... I'm debating about getting the kit... my concern is what level of mechanical talent I need... I'm don't have welding , machine shop capability at home. Would like to be able to build at home in the garage with basic mechanical skills... will be interesting follow / understand whats involved.

Mike

rex.racer

Mike, I was told by Elan that you would not need to weld anything, only need to be able to assemble a car. They state that prior race car assembly would be helpful but not needed. This car is pretty simple and looking over those drawings I go yesterday, it's just a matter of doing one thing at a time and checking it off the list and just going down the list.

As far as tooling, that which any home wrench would have to work on their car. Specifically you might want a good set of clecos and cleco pliers, good quality drill bits (there's some drilling of holes to mount panels), good deburring kit and good quality tools. There doesn't really look to be anything special you would need.

The most complex part that I've seen so far would be the initial setup of the fluid levels, fuel system and radiator fluids. There seems to be a number of specific steps that need to be done. This part looks like it would be nice to have a second person handy to help as most of that looks like a 2 man job.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to build in your garage. I consider myself very inclined for certain things. When it comes to rebuilding engines and trans, I don't have the comfort level for that but bolting stuff together is well within my wheel house.

Where do you live?

Jay

Firouz H.

jay

congrats on your purchase, the car in beautiful and I am sure it is going to do good. my understanding ia also that simple tools are needed to assemble. look forward to see it run.

regards

firouz

Blitz128

Jay

I live in Spring TX... I'd love to see the kit as it arrives and if you need an extra hand... I'm available and retired so time is not an issue...

Mike

rex.racer

I plan on documenting the build as I go along. I started a facebook page to keep track of things. Most of the stuff posted to date is linked on the page.

https://www.facebook.com/NP-Racing-918389831551765/

I might take you up on that offer Mike. I live in the DFW area.

bpanther

Mike, definetly no welding needed. A bit of drilling as Jay says. If you dont want to build yourself, Elan will build and have it on your doorstep for about $9k more.

Or, ship to Winding Road and they will assemble for you.

We would love to have you in the class. We should have 7 to 8 of us at Hallett....

Based on hp to weight and skinny DOT tires the car will most likely be ST2 if it doesn't run in NP on a weekend. Since it is already coming close to Cup Car laptimes it would decimate ST3. I was only inthe car for three laps and I was besting my ST3 by 4 seconds a lap....

Jay, Im thinking 3 to 4 cars at Cresson doing their first race. Yours, Matt Rivards, ours and the car that Winding Road has.

brkntrxn
Based on hp to weight and skinny DOT tires the car will most likely be ST2 if it doesn't run in NP on a weekend. Since it is already coming close to Cup Car laptimes it would decimate ST3. I was only inthe car for three laps and I was besting my ST3 by 4 seconds a lap....

Dave,

How do you think it would fare in ST3 after taking all of the necessary deductions like non-production car and whatnot?

-Kevin

bpanther

Dave,

How do you think it would fare in ST3 after taking all of the necessary deductions like non-production car and whatnot?

-Kevin

Dave,

-Kevin

I think it would need a lot more weight for ST3. FWIW, my best time in the NP01 at VIR was just a few seconds off your fast race laps. And I was driving at 8/10ths.

Someone did the math on FB and it sounds like it's definitely in ST2.

brkntrxn

I think it would need a lot more weight for ST3. FWIW, my best time in the NP01 at VIR was just a few seconds off your fast race laps. And I was driving at 8/10ths.

Someone did the math on FB and it sounds like it's definitely in ST2.

Nice!

Which FB account? I am curious on the math in case I actually get to race against one.

Blitz128

Dave, thx the extra info... I will be following Jay's build for sure and I get to Cresson/DFW other than the NASA events... will see u when your there for sure... I've been debating a long time in my mind of buying the SLC kit car and running a LS3 but the NP seems it would good deal lower cost and definitely less costly to run. Of course it's a quite different car comparison...

Mike

rex.racer

Chatting with Jeremy a couple weeks ago, he told me the driver weight would be set at 240 lbs to account for bigger guys like myself. So if you are a skinny dude, you will add ballast to the car. If you take the dry weight of the car at 1450, add in 240 for the driver and then fluids, I think the target weight is 1750.

Now the thing I'm still trying to figure is Elan's dyno number of 185 is a bench dyno, yet every other car is classed using a Chassis dyno number. So are we using the bench dyno number or is someone going to chassis dyno the car to get that number and then run the calculations for ST classification?

Jay

drivinhardz06
So are we using the bench dyno number or is someone going to chassis dyno the car to get that number and then run the calculations for ST classification?

hp at 5000 + hp at 5050 + hp at 5100 + hp at 5200 through 7000, divided by 5250, multiplied by the number of pistons you have, subtracted from the bore, + the stroke, minus the redline, divided by the number of injectors + the weight of the wrist pins in grams.

Firouz H.

hey Dave

how about a nicer dinner sat night, if you out run my little thunder roadster in hallett let me know so I can add the extra bottle to my car

It is going to be great to see np cars in hallett.

firouz

bpanther

Sounds good. Plan on pitching in for steaks for everyone. I spent the day with your boy Bobby Butler and he says he is going to wax you with this thing.....

haase1375

he has to catch me first .. and that would not happen anytime soon..

see you in hallett

firouz

Blitz128

Given the car will be 'weighted" for 240 lb driver... if you are a skinny dude then maybe it was posted but I forget if I saw it... what will be min class weight for NP cars running as NP class ? ST etc I understand as wt/hp essentially...

turnbaugh

Firouz,

The Wolf is available if you need it!

haase1375

thank you Dean, I may have to reach out for the bigger brother.

bpanther
Given the car will be 'weighted" for 240 lb driver... if you are a skinny dude then maybe it was posted but I forget if I saw it... what will be min class weight for NP cars running as NP class ? ST etc I understand as wt/hp essentially...

In theory, if we take the 1450lb car plus a 240lb driver they will most likely set the minimum weight to be 1690lbs. Maybe it'll end up at 1700 even? I've already figured out where to shaky u mount my 100 lbs of lead.

rex.racer

I think Jeremy stated the weight would be 1750. I think 1450 is the dry weight so we have to account for fuel and fluids. I don't think the 1450 included the cool suit but I'm not for certain on that. Not to mention that weight was an unpainted car plus whatever little extra goodies or creature comforts one adds.

Blitz128

great should be fine for my expresso machine feature

bbutler1414

Hey Fousse, get ready to spend some money on your Tijuana Taxi