2016 TT Rules are posted

Greg G.

• National Staff

The 2016 NASA Time Trial Rules are posted on the NASA Rules page.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

Here is the direct link to the pdf file:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/4273/2016_Time_Trial_Official_Rules.pdf

We still have the 2015 Rules, Dyno Certification Form, and Car Classification Forms posted, but we will post

the new 2016 Dyno Certification Form and Car Classification Forms next week. Also, the class calculator tools are being updated

for 2016. So, make sure you are not using the 2015 calculator.

Please note the significant change to the calculation of horsepower for TT3 this year. We will be using Avg HP instead of Max HP for

calculating the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio. The tentative plan is to move to using this calculation for the TT1 and TT2 classes in '17 if all goes

as planned, and possibly for the lower level TT classes as well. Also, we are planning on expanding the TT classes in '17 to include TT4 at 12:1

with possibly a few additional restrictions or Modification Factors, just as TT3 has a few that don't apply to TT1 and TT2). Either way, if we add

a class, we will delete a class or classes to prevent field dilution. I will post much more about this in mid-2016.

We are also looking at possible lower level classes using a TT5 and TT6 format, along with additional restrictions,

Modification Factors, and even a Modification Factor table based on car model. These would eventually be a substitute for most of the

current TT classes. They would simplify classing of cars because we would no longer need to do Dyno Re-classes of motor swaps, ported

rotaries, aftermarket heads, F/I, etc. We would have significantly less Modification Factors than we currently have for TT Modification Points.

However, before we would proceed with these TT classes, we would have to be certain that these classes would retain the ability

for competitors to run cost-efficiently as many do in the lower TT classes now. We understand that open rules at these lower level classes

just don't make much sense. It doesn't make sense to put $30,000 of mods into a $3000 vehicle to be competitive.

Thanks, and have a great season!

Do mirrors count as part of vehicle width? (related to the 6" measurement for aero parts)

I really do like the way the loss-of-control rule was tightened up, good work

• National Staff
Do mirrors count as part of vehicle width? (related to the 6" measurement for aero parts)

I really do like the way the loss-of-control rule was tightened up, good work

No, mirrors don't count toward vehicle width (must be body).

Greg,

a question on Bump steer kits for older strut suspension cars. Were a block is used between the bottom strut and knuckle/control arm/ ball joint.

Would that be a +6 point mod?

E-13) Relocation of front suspension mounting points +6 (includes modifications to spindles and

knuckles that relocate control arm mounting points in space—such as “drop spindles”)

But for newer cars it's just +2?

E-15) Front steering tie rod bump steer modifications or shimming of the steering rack +2

These are two very different things. Are you adjusting camber gain or bumpsteer?

Old cars have tie rods too, so the 2 pt mod applies if done correctly.

Greg,

a question on Bump steer kits for older strut suspension cars. Were a block is used between the bottom strut and knuckle/control arm/ ball joint.

Would that be a +6 point mod?

E-13) Relocation of front suspension mounting points +6 (includes modifications to spindles and

knuckles that relocate control arm mounting points in space—such as “drop spindles”)

But for newer cars it's just +2?

E-15) Front steering tie rod bump steer modifications or shimming of the steering rack +2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to 2016. The car you have spent the last three year developing now needs to loose 7 points, good luck with that. 7 points is a lot!

The new rules added a * to the 01-06 BMW 330. 7 points is a lot. What is involved to get dyno classed to stay in TTD. My dyno is only 200 hp and the rules seem to think I have 225. 7 points is a lot.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the * was Kurt Vonnegut's special drawing in "Breakfast of Champions"... Anyone remember that book? And 7 points is a lot.

• Members
Welcome to 2016. The car you have spent the last three year developing now needs to loose 7 points, good luck with that. 7 points is a lot!

The new rules added a * to the 01-06 BMW 330. 7 points is a lot. What is involved to get dyno classed to stay in TTD. My dyno is only 200 hp and the rules seem to think I have 225. 7 points is a lot.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the * was Kurt Vonnegut's special drawing in "Breakfast of Champions"... Anyone remember that book? And 7 points is a lot.

The dyno re-class procedure is clearly spelled out in Section 8.4 of the TT rules. The key is looking at your current modifications and deciding what base class you need for the dyno re-class.

The dyno re-class procedure is clearly spelled out in Section 8.4 of the TT rules. The key is looking at your current modifications and deciding what base class you need for the dyno re-class.

This. Add up tires & drivetrain & suspension & brakes/chassis & aero. Determine where your reclass needs to start to end up at or near the top of TTD.

Wow, I read it a couple times and have no idea how it works. No clue at all. It may be clearly spelled out for some far more clever than myself.

If I add up all my points, not engine related, I am still good for the class I have been building this car for. That is with my newly awarded 7 point *. The minimum weight/power ratio for TTD is 14.25:1. I am closer to 15.5 or 16:1. Am I eligible for dyno reclassing? I really do not want to spend the rest of the winter undoing a lot of the work I have done.

• National Staff
Wow, I read it a couple times and have no idea how it works. No clue at all. It may be clearly spelled out for some far more clever than myself.

If I add up all my points, not engine related, I am still good for the class I have been building this car for. That is with my newly awarded 7 point *. The minimum weight/power ratio for TTD is 14.25:1. I am closer to 15.5 or 16:1. Am I eligible for dyno reclassing? I really do not want to spend the rest of the winter undoing a lot of the work I have done.

1) Get a NASA membership if you don't have one

2) Follow the instructions in the rules to request a Dyno Re-class

http://www.nasa-tt.com/Rules/p2005_articleid/231

• 3 months later...
  • National Staff

Regional Track Records are handled by your Regional TT Director. The changes made are neutral for many of the vehicles that did not have flat HP Dyno curves, but should have resulted in higher weights (or lower HP) for those with the flat HP Dyno's. So, along with vehicle development and tire development each year, it is possible that those older records will still be broken using the new rules. However, if it is clear that the old record in your region is way off now (as in the former record holding vehicle is now way off from that time), it would make sense to reset that record, but I will leave that choice up to your Regional TT Director.

i have a few track records in our region and i have a flat HP car. i added 120 lbs to the car to bring it to 10:1. would be hard for me to get close to those records although i could use more development on the car.

So far, there appears to be no problems for our fast driver resetting TT3 records in Texas Region under new formula.

Texas also still lists TTA records. Honey Badger region!

A new TT3 record was set at Buttonwillow (13ccw) on Sunday.

And the TT3 record was a scant 7 seconds slower than the ST3 qualifying time...

will TT3 track records be reset because of the rule change this year?

Built to the new ruleset, I would say absolutely.