GraemeD

-40mm tire width credit?

GraemeD

What happened to the 10 point credit for -40mm tires?

Lots of Miatas depend on that credit. Was there any public discussion ?

AZELISE

There was last year.

GraemeD
There was last year.

yes, there was a huge thread about proposed tire rules,

seems I must have missed the part that said it is going away for 2016. Can someone point it out?

ILIKETODRIVE

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129568&hilit=tire+credit

From Sept 30 2014:

Tire width points assessed or points credited are determined by the difference between the

width of the largest tire on the vehicle and the assigned base tire size as follows:

Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13,

60mm +16, 70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31

Equal to or less than: -10mm -1, -20mm -4, -30mm -7, DELETE -40mm -10

Same thread, Dec 27 2014:

Tire width points assessed or points credited are determined by the difference between the

width of the largest tire on the vehicle and the assigned base tire size as follows:

Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13,

60mm +16, 70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31

Equal to or less than: -10mm -1, -20mm -4, -30mm -7, -40mm -10

So it was proposed in 2014 for 2015 but didn't happen. Now it's happening. No mention of it being put on hold for 2016.

I would say run a lesser compound 225..?

Greg G.

Yep, sorry guys. We got talked out of it at the end of '14, and then realized throughout '15 that we should have just proceeded. The

combination of the new faster tires, along with many lightweight cars getting -10 points and essentially running very fast tires for no points

was just too much of an advantage for those vehicles. This classing system is a bit like an old-time watch, everything needs to be in

balance for it to work correctly. Once the decision was made to allow the newer fast tires to stay at +10 points so that we didn't have

a huge disruption in the entire classing system forcing all kinds of rebuilds across the country, we knew that the tire credits needed

to be cut back. It turns out we were correct.

retlaw

I know I won't get my wish, but that said ... I still wish that the typical autoX tires (200 TW) would be 0 pts tires

ILIKETODRIVE
I know I won't get my wish, but that said ... I still wish that the typical autoX tires (200 TW) would be 0 pts tires

Me too. I would net -1 instead of +1 for shaved 225 200 TW tires...which would be tempting for local competition since I could probably run a single set for the whole local TT season.