Midwest/Great lakes ST3 roll call

hamflex

Potentially coming over to race the season in ST3 from GTS3. Looking for a roll call to see how the potential to race for contingencies is, and a look at what the competition is like.

I'm in a 1995 BMW M3

Thanks guys,

Ryan

Midwest had 12 total entrants in ST3, Great lakes had 13 entries. 12 drivers overlapped so with MW and GL collapsing that's 13 entrants.

Based on points (entries greater then 500pts) you had about 6 active entries, and of those 6:

- 1 is confirmed to move to ST2

- 1 is confirmed to stay in ST3

- 2 are leaning heavily towards ST3

- 2 unknown.

I know that Ryan, Ray, Me discussed last year which races we would or would not be at so as to try and go to as many in a group as possible.

And welcome!

Sounds good! I have thought about this in the past but really took consideration when they released some massively revised GTS rules. The rules were revised but, after considering this class it seems there is way more potential for entrants here in ST3.

Man!! I just checked the results from the last ST3 race at abcc, damn 6 entries! I was there with GTS3 and a whooping 3 guys. Well im in, lets the maybes a yes and have a regular double digit field!

Everyone comes out of the woodwork for ST3once I make the call to go to ST2 LOL. Maybe I can wear skinnier tires, and detune still for ST3, but we will have to see. The easiest way may be just to set up the rev limiter for say 5,000 RPM.

*edited* as I got the aero rules change backward. See Gregs clarication below.

Edited by Guest

• National Staff
There are no restrictions on OEM aero in ST3 if you take the non-OEM aero penalty. They just switched it from a bonus if you don't run it to a penalty if you do. They also clarified what you can do without having to take the penalty.

Hi Eric,

Maybe I'm tired and I'm misreading your post, but just to clarify, there is no penalty for non-OEM aero in ST3 any longer. The Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio is 10:1 for everybody, and non-OEM Aero is legal just as in ST1 and ST2. The only difference in ST3 is that if a car has only OEM Aero (with the same definitions and allowances as last year for OEM Aero), it may assess a Mod Factor of +0.4. This is similar to those running DOT 275's taking a Mod Factor of +0.3.

• 4 weeks later...

Im thinking of moving over from AI. Will I be the oddball with a "big" car in ST3? Its a 2010-14 Mustang. I still think I need some clarification on what would optimize my car for ST. (Aero, Tires, P/W ratio)

Robin

586- two four six -3287

Robin, welcome! -

There are no "odd" cars in ST - that's the beauty!

You may need a little tweak to power to weight depending on your HP curve, but it should be close.

Very few (really only one) local car has fully developed aero, so standard AI aero should be a reasonable place to start.

With new builds, and GTS converts, plus you, it looks to be a pretty full field this year!

Welcome Robin!

No, you will not be an oddball car with a mustang, my 4 door Subaru is relatively the same size. A former AI car would be a great start for an ST car, easy transition!

Glad to hear you joining us, and by the area code I can tell I'm local to you. So if you need something feel free to get ahold of me.

As a former AI guy I have run Toyos so long I don't know what the hot tire is. Do (will) people bring a brand new set of Hoosier A compounds to each event? is there a modifier based on brand beyond the tire size?

Robin

BTW, Thanks for the warm welcome.I just want to start out competitive, so thanks for helping me out.

Tires:

Non-DOT approved tires = -0.5 (CTSC EC-Dry Continentals see App. A)

Size 10.5” (267mm) to 9.6” (244mm) non-DOT approved = +0.3

Size 9.5” (241mm) or smaller non-DOT approved = +0.7

Size 275 to 250 (DOT approved) = +0.3

Size 245 or smaller (DOT approved) = +0.7

Copied from the 2016 rulebook. There is no modifier for tire brands, just sizes and dot/nondot.

I don't want to say most people bring new tires for each event, (I know I certainly do not) but I'm sure there are some people that do. I don't personally run Hoosier A's, I run the R's instead for ST, but I know some that do and have good luck with them. Hope that helps.

I ran R6/7's last year and did not have good luck with them, although my car is probably the lightest in the field. Most of what is used last year were take offs. Once I burn through the stock of R's that I have I'm going to A's. A's are what the majority of the ST field uses and they show more resilience to sprint racing than logic would dictate they should.

Ryan

• 1 month later...