Message from NASA National Office re: GTS Rules

Bryancohnracing

• Members

All of the above simply means that we need to invest time and efforts to develop the proper data compliance device prior to jumping into DQing people. GTS 2 is as important as GTS 4 and might be as complicated, even though at lower speeds. And being in the real world of limited manpower and resources - we need to be realistic on how that will all work for us.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael G.

• daytonars4

• vwmann1

• 7VO-VOM

A potential problem with using acceleration/GPS data for compliance I see, is loading up the car with an aero package like a 1000HP global time attack car.

The extra aero drag will mask any engine/power cheating. The downforce will make the car faster in corners.

All of the above simply means that we need to invest time and efforts to develop the proper data compliance device prior to jumping into DQing people. GTS 2 is as important as GTS 4 and might be as complicated, even though at lower speeds. And being in the real world of limited manpower and resources - we need to be realistic on how that will all work for us.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

So you are worrying about inadvertently DQ'ing people, but not about banning people from running in a group because they bought or built a car which was legal? That seems a bit confusing in that you are willing to exclude some to potentially get more members?

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

So you are worrying about inadvertently DQ'ing people, but not about banning people from running in a group because they bought or built a car which was legal? That seems a bit confusing in that you are willing to exclude some to potentially get more members?

exactly!!!

• 4 weeks later...
As someone who's considering an entry into GTS next year, this topic is of a huge importance to me. I haven't found any data supporting the various positions and decisions.

Here are some basic simulations I've ran for two hypothetical GTS2 cars, one with S52 and other with detuned S54, everything else identical. The dyno maps should be a pretty decent match to come up with the same 221HP figure as per 2015 NASA rules.

The theoretical laptime difference at NJMP Thunderbolt is 0.4 seconds, not taking into consideration the extra shifts needed with the S52.

Paul

detuned S54

s54_dyno_zpsvpfkulo8.jpg

S52

s52_dyno_zpspdifpnpf.jpg

lap comparision - distance vs speed

njmp_gts2_zpsnejnfpi0.png

What software is that you are using to simulate? Thanks.

http://www.optimumg.com/software/optimumlap/

• 5 months later...
We will be certainly changing the way we deal with protests and DQs as well as the public information and transparency. We are working on the new website, which, aside of being more modern and more functional, will allow us to create a databank of all dyno declarations / graphs for all cars.

The plan is make the upload mandatory once it is tested. It will also be available for all drivers to review.

We will also be more transparent with protests and DQs. But strangely enough, up to now, despite of many complains on suspicious cars, very few protests were actually filed.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

What is the status of the GTS dyno registry? I can see the link to it on the GTS site ( http://www.nasagts.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/177-gts-dyno-registry ), but I don't see a mechanism to upload forms or view forms that have already been uploaded. Is this feature active yet?

What is the status of the GTS dyno registry? I can see the link to it on the GTS site ( http://www.nasagts.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/177-gts-dyno-registry ), but I don't see a mechanism to upload forms or view forms that have already been uploaded. Is this feature active yet?

The mechanism isn't activated until you are logged into the website. Obviously we want to limit usage to NASAGTS only.

I would love to get some testers on this and feedback. We did some local testing but any volunteers please contact me via PM and I will get you an account.

The mechanism isn't activated until you are logged into the website. Obviously we want to limit usage to NASAGTS only.

I would love to get some testers on this and feedback. We did some local testing but any volunteers please contact me via PM and I will get you an account.

Hi Chris: I tried sending you a PM, but for some reason it sits in the outbox and doesn't get sent. I race GTS2 at NOLA and would like to set up an account on nasagts. I'd be happy to upload my dyno certification forms and give you feedback on using the new registry features.

fbirch,

You can email me at [email protected] and I will connect you to Chris. We are making a group of drivers to test the uploads now.

Michael G.

GTS Nat Dir.

Michael, I got Chris' email and have sent him my contact info. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

For those that have volunteered, thank you. At this time it looks like NASA is assuming control of the GTS website, so the National Dyno Registry prototype will be on hold as far as I can tell. It was developed using a commercial plug-in to our content system. I don't know what the new website will support at this time.

• 2 months later...

funny, i just read through 12 pages of commentary on multi-thousand dollar engine, ECU, etc.. mods and how there are myriad ways to cheat, many of them impossible to detect. Funny because i go to my first large NASA event last month and one of the leading GTS racers gets caught stuffing gloves in his intake at the dyno. high tech.

• Members

That is really not funny at all. That just shows that there are many ways to do it - sophisticated and primitive, but if your mind set on it - you will find the way.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Is that a hypothetical question? If the cheater is caught - he will be punished and not welcomed back - either for a long while or ever. The tough part is to catch one. The suspicion often feeds the perception, which can be as damaging as the real one, unfortunately.

Michael G.

GTS Nat. Dir.